nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/23 10:49 a.m.

The Subaru is getting the engine pulled and swapped.  It's currently rocking the 220k mile OEM Clutch and 24lb Flywheel.   I am not putting those on the new motor.  

Flywheel is easy ACT Prolite is affordable for this application.  

But clutch is where it gets all spendy.  

It looks like generally OE equivalent replacements are ~$120-150.   Exedy has a "Stage 1" organic disc uprated clutch for $211.  Recognized Performance stuff is all $350+.   

Then there is RockAuto MPact brand.   Their highest performance 6 disc Ceramic is $199. 

Does anyone have experience with these clutches?

Gumby has reported he has one in his wagon.  I will let him offer his thoughts. 

I know at -1000lbs and only 170 HP I don't need the world's best clutch.  This isn't a 400+HP AWD Subaru doing drag launches.   

I'm probably going to roll the dice and report back but I searched and there are not many mentions on GRM so I thought I'd make a thread.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/23 11:36 a.m.

I have an Exedy Stage 1 on the AE92, the stock clutch was fine and I only switched to it while I was swapping the engine to gain a little extra torque capacity for a Torsen diff and power increase in the future. It's fine and only a hair heavier in the pedal than stock (which is already rather heavy).

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
4/11/23 2:57 p.m.

I have an Exedy Stage 1 in my 06' Miata. The pedal feel is slightly heavier versus stock and the modulation (distance between start of engagement and full torque capacity) is a little less but very manageable. 

As someone who has paid the bills for 36 years with the design of twin plate ceramic clutches for class 8 trucks I would never consider ceramic unless you have a very high torque engine that a high performance organic won't handle the torque on. 

The Exedy Stage 1 for the small price increase over the MPact is a no brainer in my opinion. It will be much easier to live with.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/23 6:16 p.m.

To add feedback for anyone who searches later, my application options included the M-PACT ST1 at the same price as the LUK repset I would normally purchase for street use. Fit and finish were as good or better than LUK and Valeo units I have used in the past.

I have several thousand miles on the M-PACT clutch(including towing) with zero complaints.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/23 11:36 p.m.

When I had my Yaris trans rebuilt with a TRD LSD unit, I noticed my ACT heavyduty clutch was a little thin in the skin.  This was during peak covid so a replacement disc was unobtanium.

So I got the Mpact "hi torque" disc and threw it in with my ACT hd pressure plate.  Slightly more progressive bite, and takes the occasional abuse just fine.  Essentially it drives similar to stock with the heavier pedal.

Just to add, I have had real good luck with the XTD ebay clutches in lower power situations, where they are only like $65 for the whole unit.  My default is to buy the full face "stage 2" that feels stock, but usually holds up to about 60% more power

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
4/12/23 7:07 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

The M-PACT ST1 with organic friction material looks to be a very nice unit and I would not hesitate to try one in a vehicle. The M-PACT St2 that was mentioned in the original post has a 6 pad ceramic friction material and I would be reluctant to try that unless there are very specific needs that the organic can't address.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/28/23 6:50 p.m.

Thought I would bump this now that I have installed and used the MPact for a track day.  

I ended up buying the "Normal" pressure plate 6 friction disc "ST2" clutch.   

It installed fine, works great, good bite, no vibrations.   I will let you know if anything goes wrong but I am starisfied with my $160 clutch purchase.  

bmxr
bmxr New Reader
10/23/23 10:37 a.m.

Good info.  Thanks for the update

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
10/23/23 10:40 a.m.

Virtually no (if any ) difference between these and the similar Ebay sourced performance clutches for modest power/usage they're fine if sometimes a little annoying. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
goxpMBWV9lnbj54ICq1dmSH9VeMokjTpRQYXEzcFxBoNGbXNohTBrT7LAeO8ROEw