1 2
Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/19 5:40 a.m.

Today marks 55 years since the official introduction of the Ford Mustang. The new Mustang Owners Museum is celebrating with its grand opening in Charlotte.  We all know the Mustang has been successful in just about every kind of motorsports, including the Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge.  Who has Mustang stories and photos to share?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/17/19 5:50 a.m.

Bought mine in summer of 2005. My first new car and first Mustang. I think I'll drive it today to celebrate.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 6:32 a.m.

Woody
4/17/19 6:40 a.m.

Unrestored original paint, not a reproduction, and currently for sale if anyone is interested...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Somehow I'm thinking you want more than $12.95 for it. laugh

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/17/19 6:50 a.m.

I would absolutely offer $20!

Woody
4/17/19 6:51 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

In reply to Woody :

I spent thirty years looking for one before I found it.wink

$1295.00 and I'll cover the shipping!

outasite
outasite HalfDork
4/17/19 7:44 a.m.

I remember my first ride in a Mustang. I was a senior in high school and a friend/classmate worked at the local Ford dealership as a lot boy. He bought the first Mustang to arrive at the dealership. Burgundy, 6 cylinder, 3 spd, he drove it to school and we went for a ride at lunch time on a sunny spring day. Those were the days.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
4/17/19 7:50 a.m.

Had a rallycross Foxbody.  It was silly.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/17/19 8:03 a.m.

My first new car was a Mustang from the 25th year of production...  '89 LX hatch.  I wanted a Notchback, but couldn't find an '89 on a local dealer lot at the time as the '90s were out, but I didn't want the airbag steering wheel.  It was the first car I got really serious about modifying, and the first time I was serious about organized competition.  I had a lot of fun, and have a lot of good memories of that LX!  laugh

I've owned two other Mustangs since, a '98 GT and '17 GT.  Someday, I'd like to own another Fox, but a 'notch this time.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/19 8:13 a.m.

Mustangs? Yeah, I've had a few of those.

My then-future wife buying her 1987 4-cylinder LX brand new at Varsity Ford:

The 95 GT I bought new was the first car I ever modified. I put a catback, a bigger MAF, bigger throttle body, and underdrive pulleys on it:

A few years later I sold it and bought a used 89 from a co-worker. Did Konis, springs, heads and intake, a few other thigns, and it was the first car I was serious about autocrossing. This is me at a Detroit Council event in the late 90s:

After a brief dalliance with a Camaro, I came home to Fox bodies with "Old Smokey", this gray 89 LX.  This one got a full 5-lug rear-disk conversion, Tokicos, an Explorer engine, all kinds of stuff. This is at a track day at Waterford hills in the mid-2000s:

Took a break from Mustangs for a while and played with Porsches and BMWs, but was able to score this 95 convertible for a pretty good price. It was slow (automatic), but it was pretty:

The last one was the 2011 GT I bought as a daily driver a couple of years ago. It had Steeda springs and aftermarket wheels. Fast and handled great, but not much fun as a DD. I kept it for less than six months:

I have little doubt there will be more.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 8:15 a.m.
Woody said:
Toyman01 said:

In reply to Woody :

I spent thirty years looking for one before I found it.wink

$1295.00 and I'll cover the shipping!

I'll pass that on to my business partner. He's got a thing for Mustangs and a granddaughter about the right age. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/17/19 8:27 a.m.

I said "I Do" from the drivers seat of a Mustang, does that count? We never even shut the engine off. laugh

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/17/19 8:59 a.m.

I ran into my aunt and cousin 2 weeks ago at a wedding.  My uncle flew to California and bought a new 1965 Shelby Mustang that is still in his ownership.  He sold a 1963 Corvette to buy this   

My cousin told me they might sell for his 2nd wife’s retirement fund but they want to keep it as it still is a one owner car.  

I am encouraging him to let CM do an article on his story and preserve the memory before they sell it.  

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/17/19 9:06 a.m.

Found a couple more pics...

Our 'Stang posse, circa 1992

That was before I took off the Steeda ground effects and went all drag.  The Flamed 'Notch eventually had an R trim Vortech 347 making 600+hp, and before that was the first customer car with a Kenne Belle whipplecharger.  The black hatch had a 351W swap with aluminum heads, which was pretty rare at the time.  It also won Car Craft's Real Street Eliminator in 1991.  I won with my Mustang in '92.

Knott's Berry Farm Ford show, likely  the same year...

Flamer at Carlsbad...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 9:49 a.m.

Pedestrians should probably just stay indoors today for safety laugh

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/17/19 11:44 a.m.

My dad had a 64-5 when I was a kid. I've had this 66 since the early 80's. Took the spring shackles off shortly after I bought it & daily drove it for years. It's been stolen/recovered and lots of other things. It's spent a lot of it's life in garages but currently it sits covered in the driveway awaiting my attention to finish rebuilding it. I realize that I'll probably never get to it and I'm now "that guy" who replies to folks questioning about selling it with "I'm gonna finish rebuilding it".  Problem is, there's a list of other projects ahead of it and I've got a bunch of parts/money invested already. Built 302, built C4, 9" rear W/Detroit locker blah blah blah. Ya it's been sitting waay too long, look what the humidity did to the new engine parts.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/66%20Mustang/014.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/66%20Mustang/001.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/66%20Mustang/012-1.jpg.html][/URL]

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
4/17/19 12:04 p.m.

I drive mine everyday.  

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
4/17/19 12:42 p.m.

Not the fastest but cheap, accessible and lots of fun.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/17/19 12:48 p.m.

DAYUM...I'm getting old.  My first car was a $750 66 fastback bought out of a junkyard with blown transmission.  Drove it 2 years before I wrapped it around a tree an sold it for $400 in 1975.  Did i mention it was a Hertz GT350H.

Yup...dumbass here.

Danny Shields
4/17/19 12:50 p.m.

I will post this one for Mark and Tod from Cobra Kai Speed Shoppe. Ka-Bluey was a fast and fun Challenge car in 2014. Sure would be great to see it again. wink

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/17/19 1:20 p.m.

Not my exact ones, but close enough.  My Mustang history.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/17/19 1:24 p.m.

I had one for a couple of days:

I like my RS better. devil

Danny Shields
4/17/19 1:25 p.m.

This one is me, at the 1984 SCCA Solo Nationals in Salina, at the old airport on the east side of town. The car is a 1984 dealer demo from a friendly Ford dealer in Tampa. They let me take the car to the Nationals to show how it could perform in a class dominated by GM F-bodies. I took along a used set of 14" wheels and remounted the old tires from my friend Neal's Toyota, which had competed earlier in the week. This Mustang was so new it had not even been through pre-delivery prep. On the first day, a leaking vacuum booster conspired with fuel spillover in the Holley carb to stall the engine on two runs out of three. The one decent run would lead to a fifth place trophy, and demonstrated that the Mustang handled way better than earlier versions. It also led to me buying my own beloved Mustang GT for the following year.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/17/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Danny Shields :

I remember your Mustang GT, and in particular an epic flat spot event at Sebring that resulted in the most unique trophy we've ever had.  I called it the tetanus special.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cJL2zK4Gc4IOQeKwJ0EGtUdqP9RXT1vbabiuTrFdPzKbmoC8TtA2DzKhiAKEJ16c