Rogue
Rogue New Reader
12/15/15 8:28 p.m.

FM has you covered! ;)

https://www.flyinmiata.com/news/index.php?item=21

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
12/16/15 2:59 a.m.

My area of Southern California has been down to the mid 40's at night. With the top down and the windows up, i don't even need the heater on full blast. Seat heater is only on 2 out of 5.

I really, really like seat heaters.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
1/6/16 2:32 a.m.

This was the last day off before my stuff is getting shipped off, so I switched over to winter tires on 16" Enkei YS5's. Maybe there will be some white stuff on the ground once the Miata gets to Jersey in a few weeks.

Only a week left in CA!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/6/16 1:09 p.m.

Just saw this--one more tip, if you have the time: If it is icy, or you think the snow has "hardened", let the car warm up with the heater on full blast for 10-15 minutes before you try to scrape the ice/icy snow off. I tore a small hole in my soft top, although it admittedly was on its way out anyways.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
1/6/16 2:24 p.m.

Thanks for the top tip! If I knew I was going to a place with winter, I would have searches harder for a PRHT. I just think the soft top proportions look so much better...

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
1/6/16 2:47 p.m.

While you're still in warm-land, go ahead and use some nice 303 stuff on it. Make sure you get the correct compound (vinyl vs. fabric). Apply it with a brush or cover all painted surfaces with towels. It'll help keep the top nice through the winter. Also, don't retract the top in weather under 40 degrees (tear concern).

Otherwise, enjoy how fast your car warms up! Get a good ice scraper (bronze blade, usually $1.50), use your hands to clear snow off the roof (no need for a brush), and remember, headlights on for visibility.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
1/22/16 11:31 p.m.

Looked for the 303, but was unable to find in CA before the car was shipped off.

I took the Miata on its first winter drive tonight, after a few inches fell, but before the plows or salt trucks started making their way through. The car stayed composed, and the back end slipped out pretty predictably. It had no problem stopping or starting from a stop with the Xice tires, so kudos to them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/16 11:50 p.m.

I think they're a lot of fun in the snow myself.

outasite
outasite Reader
1/23/16 8:33 a.m.

Probably too late since the storm is there, silicone door weather strips(icy rain) and Rain-X the windows(easier to scrape the ice).

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/17 3:38 p.m.

i think of these threads every time I see a lifted Miata on studs rolling around Anchorage. The answer is yes.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/17/17 4:38 p.m.

Miatas in snow are like threesomes. The snow tires are like the condom that is going to keep you out of trouble. Enjoy.

Drove a NA Miata year round in Ontario fo 10 years. Three years of that  time was a 80  mile each way commute.   All HWY.

No hardtop, but I did have the glass rear window.

Blizzacks are your friend.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
12/18/17 5:51 a.m.

https://i.imgur.com/PuoWVQQ.jpg

You're good. Pic is from last year, driving a red one this year.

Get a hard top!

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
12/18/17 8:20 a.m.

Just curious, how is driving these with a soft top in the winter?  Any drafts/wind noise, etc?  I suppose like anything convertible the seals and weatherstripping play a huge role.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
12/18/17 8:25 a.m.
Stanger2000 said:

Just curious, how is driving these with a soft top in the winter?  Any drafts/wind noise, etc?  I suppose like anything convertible the seals and weatherstripping play a huge role.

Just like in the summer. Don't. :)

Seriously though, it's just annoying bc of the lack of visibility. With the hard top it's amazing thanks to the lack of structure in the top (no blind spots).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/18/17 8:48 a.m.
Blaise said:
Stanger2000 said:

Just like in the summer. Don't. :)

Seriously though, it's just annoying bc of the lack of visibility. With the hard top it's amazing thanks to the lack of structure in the top (no blind spots).

Exactly- it's ok, but the hard top is a lot easier to deal with in the winter.  And the chance of damaging the soft top is almost zero.

The window weatherstripping is almost the same- the only part you miss is that seam in the middle of the window with the hard top.  And in driving rain, I didn't really notice that in the summer.  (Rain and water is a lot worse to deal with than snow and ice WRT the top, I think).

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
12/18/17 11:20 a.m.
Stanger2000 said:

I had a hard top on my 1999. it was quieter in the dry but noisier in the wet. the winter tires kicked up a lot of crap that made the car loud, the noise seemed to bounce around inside the car with the hard top. that was a snugtop, not a OEM Mazda part, so it didn't have the full head liner.

the other issue is that the seam on the soft top over the side windows acts as a rain gutter. the hard top would allow every drip of water to fall on me when getting in or out of the car and it made it hard to crack the windows to let some humidity out.

I drive a NC now in the winter and only have a soft top. I don't think that the benefits of a removable hard top are worth the purchase price or the other 3 seasons storage hassles. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
12/18/17 1:11 p.m.

The lack of a drip rail on the hardtop can be alleviated by running a strip of stick-on side trim along the area above the window. Black on a black top is almost invisible, other colours would be an issue.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/17 3:44 p.m.

Get some blizzacks and tear it up. As long as you know how to drive in snow, you'll be fine.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/17 6:53 p.m.

Daily drove my old Mercedes (R107) 560SL roadster for several NJ/NYC winters. Short wheelbase, skinny tires, loads of torque, and LSD made for a fun and very sideways winter ride.

Good tires are key. This Pirelli Sotto Zeros you mentioned are truly awful. Made the mistake of buying them for my 335XI last winter as the reviews were good. Awful grip in snow and slush. Feels like an all-season. 

The Michelin X-Ice is one of the better options. Definitely a good choice for these conditions. Good balance of snow/ice/slush traction, while still holding up to normal highway driving in the dry and wet conditions you’ll face 99.9% of the time. 

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
12/18/17 9:29 p.m.

The only concern I had with my soft top in the winter was ice flying off the roof of taller vehicles in front of me.  Too many people don't clear off the ice and snow bombs before driving down the highway.

Desy
Desy New Reader
12/19/17 2:41 a.m.

I actually got to see the Paco Moto MX5's a few months ago randomly. Was leaving for work and the one GRM shot for it's magazine and they had a second one sitting at the end of my road. Not terribly sure where they are located at but couldn't believe my eyes when I turned off my road and seen 2 lifted NA's. lol.

Anyhow, a bit extreme for just winter driving. However, I can tell you living in Ky we do get cold and here in central KY the light bit of snow. (nothing like they get only an hour north). I am driving a 16 ND Club with the bridgestone tires. They do NOT like cold. It's a rough ride home from work usually once the cars been sitting outside all night. Takes a few miles for them to become circles again. (280 tread wear) I bought a 4wd civic wagon to drive incase we actually get some real snow, but eh I don't really like driving it, and have prepared my self mentally to drive the mx5 in the winter. The NA's do decent in the snow with the 195 tire width, but that's because they are light and have that narrow tire. They do decent enough to get you around in a few inches. But as far as northern snow goes (feet of snow), you'll probably want some serious winter tires. And not just basic all seasons/touring tires.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
12/19/17 6:36 a.m.
LanEvo said:

Good tires are key. This Pirelli Sotto Zeros you mentioned are truly awful. Made the mistake of buying them for my 335XI last winter as the reviews were good. Awful grip in snow and slush. Feels like an all-season. 

The Michelin X-Ice is one of the better options. Definitely a good choice for these conditions. Good balance of snow/ice/slush traction, while still holding up to normal highway driving in the dry and wet conditions you’ll face 99.9% of the time. 

Man, this is how I feel about my Pirelli Cinturatos. :(

I wish I got X-ice also, but we get so little snow up here it doesn't seem to matter. (Philly)

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/19/17 9:25 a.m.

I live in south central PA and have had snow tires on all of my RWD sports cars, mustang, NB Miata, NC Miata, and Firebird. They have all been easy to get around in the snow with the snow tires. The only real concern in a small car is the other knuckleheads out on the road. Most people seem to drive like AWD or 4x4 helps when coming to a stop.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/17 10:00 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Most people seem to drive like AWD or 4x4 helps when coming to a stop.

Or turning. I have seen Tahoes take corners on the highway in snowstorms at 75 mph and go right off the road. 4wd doesn't care when you are wheels up and in the ditch. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KccARtbNRp7by65gU6oM1PdDpe82bfjljhWvPwm2gsvZiq3WpLJNJyk92GqEJeJw