1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/11/14 11:26 a.m.

Generally in Japan if you own a old car, like this, you are considered a odd type of person. I'm guessing the previous owner is an enthusiast and just had models and thing like that of cars which would explain that sticker.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/11/14 11:43 a.m.

The sticker and receipts for repairs leads me to believe it is not a hobby shop, but rather a repair shop. I saw on the Hoovers link that it is a hobby shop as well, but if you click the related fields box it also lists auto repair I believe. I really think this My Car place is a repair house.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/14 11:46 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: I am learning Japanese right now. I can't translate all of the paperwork myself (I have a decent handle on hiragana and katakana, but not kanji. Yes, folks, Japan has three alphabets!),

Japan has four written alphabets. Kanji, Hiragana which is a phonetic alphabet for native words, Katakana which is a phonetic for "loan" words, and Romanji, their version of our alphabet

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/11/14 12:22 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: The sticker and receipts for repairs leads me to believe it is not a hobby shop, but rather a repair shop. I saw on the Hoovers link that it is a hobby shop as well, but if you click the related fields box it also lists auto repair I believe. I really think this My Car place is a repair house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.717025,137.405918,3a,41.5y,126.1h,85.87t/data=!3m3!1e1!3m1!2e0!6m1!1e1

idk, no garages there. Looks like it's a different business now, however.

address: 47-2, Yasaka, Hamamichicho Toyohashi, Aichi, 441-8117 Japan

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/11/14 12:24 p.m.

This van is absolutely ridiculous, and I love it. Glad you made it home safely!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/11/14 1:00 p.m.

Okay to continue my story of getting the van....

On Tuesday morning after almost no sleep that night in the hotel(Brad was sleeping well) we went down to the lobby for some breakfast. I was hungry, but because I was a pile of nerves I didn't eat like I should have. Brad had doubles, and that was probably a good idea for what layed ahead.

I decided that maybe it would be best to start from London, and head East so that we were at least closer to the border crossing for when and if the bond paperwork cleared. Now of course I had planned on using Craig's computer to print up these documents, but figured that there would be a Staples, similar business, or a public library that would give us acess to a computer and printer. We checked out of the hotel around 11AM, and right out into a pouring thunder storm in a RHD van in a country that neither of us was familiar with totally. Sounds like sane planning, right?

I started the driving, and Brad took over about 45 minutes later after we stopped because I had a call from the customs broker saying the bond had cleared, and they would be sending the paperwork to us in an email shortly. In the meantime before we knew the bond was in order my importer Craig called, and said he had a friend and fellow Delica customer that worked, and lived in the area of the border crossing that could loan us his computer, and printer at his office. We quickly wrote down the name, number, and address of the guy, and headed in that direction.

The address we were heading to was Niagara College in Welland,Ontario. It took a while to get there in the rain, but we found the place, and ventured inside. I got a text from James asking how close we were. I replied with "lost in the building. He then called and asked where we were, and to sit tight he would find us. James lead us to his office in what was nothing short of a labrynth. There was no way I was finding that office, and I am glad I don't attend that otherwise beautiful college. James sets me up on his computer, and has to leave for a meeting. About 3 minutes later Brad notices a clock on James' office wall made out of the air cleaner lid of a 1st gen RX-7. Now I knew this was divine intervention or some such, as how the heck in the middle of Ontario do I come across a fellow rotorhead/Delica owner that is helping in such a grand way?

Now we sit here waiting on an email that will allow us to do the border crossing, and head home. Time seems to be clicking by at quarter speed, and before you know it an hour has passed, and I am calling the customs broker asking what is going on? They say be patient, it is coming soon. Brad is antsy, and decided to try to find a bathroom in this labrynth. He makes his way back, and still no email. Then Brad decided to go check on the van as the parking lot said visitors 30 minute parking. He somehow finds his way to the van and back just beofre the email comes in. We print the 4 pages needed for the crossing, and basically sprint back to the van. As we get in my phone chirps for an email, and I check it. It is from the customs broker, and says here are 4 more pages of documents that the border crossing agent "might" need. Pissed off, we call James to ask for his permission to use the office again, and find our way back by the grace of god. Print up the remaining 4 documents and away we go to the border crossing at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/11/14 8:56 p.m.

It fits in the garage:

More pics from a few days ago. Just random stuff.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/11/14 8:59 p.m.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/11/14 9:00 p.m.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
8/12/14 12:45 a.m.

Man that thing is awesome...

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
8/12/14 10:11 a.m.

Sweeeeet

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
8/12/14 10:32 a.m.

Cool van buddy, I've had a thing for these square, 4x4 diesel vans since the first time I saw one. Happy motoring!!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/12/14 10:45 a.m.

So dumb question, mainly because I didn't see it, but is that a Turbo Diesel? I can't tell really well from the engine picture but by the "Turbo-D" badge on the back I want to say yes.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/12/14 10:52 a.m.

Yes, turbo diesel 4 cylinder engine. 2.5 litre.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/12/14 10:55 a.m.

SPACE PIGGY!

Seeing these on a regular basis is one of the few upsides of living just below the border with BC.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/14 5:59 p.m.

I have always wondered why Japanese cars sold in Japan have there badges in English.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/12/14 6:00 p.m.

I have hit my first snag. 2 plus hours at the dmv and they tell me I need to have the vin verified by a local leo because it is less than 17 digits and newer than the year that the country mandated the 17 digit vin. I called my town police station and they said they would send out an officer. That 3 hours ago. I don't think they're coming. Damn, and I thought I could get this taken care of tomorrow.

Chris

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/12/14 6:10 p.m.

I would go down to the station to get it done.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/12/14 6:23 p.m.

I can't drive it though.

imgon
imgon New Reader
8/12/14 6:42 p.m.

My trailer is sitting in the back yard if you need it. just let me know and I'll leave some straps out.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/13/14 10:14 a.m.

All registered!!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/13/14 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/14 10:52 a.m.

Now you need the lift kit. There are some really nice ones running around B.C.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/13/14 1:33 p.m.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
8/13/14 2:20 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: In reply to Mazdax605:

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this post!! I actually did the same thing to my friend when I came out of the DMV office, and then you posted it about 20 minutes later. My friend didn't get it as he hasn't seen Borat, but I do that all the time. Thanks for the chuckle.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FQWMzf5rUEjQuiaIzb6snDtbxvSDYz0pjCpc1oUnOS4fb1xgXluxIe8ujJWVQixK