1 2 3
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 8:27 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I agree with all this as a boss myself.

And really it doesn't have anything to do with being a boss, it's just being a decent person. I worked with the people I hired before the company was a thing, one I've worked with for 24 years. Boss that treat their employees like the OP don't deserve good help

I'm going to have to agree with these gents. 

There is a saying at my office. You take care of me, I take care of you. That goes both directions. I currently have a damn good team. We all look out for each other. Jeopardizing that over a $1000 car repair would be profoundly stupid on my part. Not only would it garner an atmosphere of mistrust, but it would also E36 M3 on someone I think of as part of the family. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 12:35 p.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to dean1484 :

He was parked next to me, had to walk past it. Your concern is duly noted...

Stopped at 3 shops. One said they were backed up till late Feb but ballparked $1000 or more to do it right. They recommended a mom and pop shop that said yes for removing trim, repainting whole side, much work, etc it would be that. But he wrote me up a $175 estimate for sand/buff/paint that made sense to me. Third place said come back later.

I'm going with the $175 estimate, it's roughly what I expected for the repair. If it were the Crosstrek I would have gone with the full deal repair.

(I work near Montgomery Cyclery in W Chester for reference. )

To be clear I am not saying he handled this properly at all just have a bit of compassion.  Would he be getting railed as much here if he was not your boss?  There is this general perception that because you are the boss and something like this happens the boss should be showing people with $$$ and go overboard with compensation and cowtow.  But if it was just a regular dope on the street this is not expected.  WTF is with this double standard.   But then taking the car to three of the most expensive shops for estimates as people suggested is equally as E36 M3ty a thing to do as how this was handled by him.   And yet somehow people think it is ok or that they are entitled to do it.  

It is really sad that this is considered acceptable.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 12:39 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:
dean1484 said:

What was he driving when he hit your car?  A Miata is not exactly the pillar  of size and mass in the car world. My DD (a sedan) has 1500-2000 lbs on a Miata. I bet I would not know I taped one if I did that.  

Also. You keep railing the boss.  He has kept a company going for 23 years. Put up with you for 23 years.  Being a boss is a thankless job that every employee thinks is all honey  and rose's and they can do it better.  Very few have a clue as to what it really takes to own/run a buisness. 

I am sure to you the door ding is the end of the world.  I am sure to him it is way down the importance list.  As in it is just one more annoyance he has to deal with.  I am not saying he could not have handled it better but before you condemn him as the worst boss ever try walking a mile in his shoes.  

Nonsense.  I'm "the boss" of a pretty well established company and I've started three different businesses.  The obligation on me to treat people well is MORE than anyone else in the business, by far.  When employees even perceive a slight (whether it's real or not), word of it spreads like fire through the whole team.  Every action I take or don't take is under a microscope... it's the heaviest part of the lift, and if you do it wrong you wreck morale.  A company is just the people that work in it.  If I got this part wrong I would have never had the opportunity to start businesses #2 and 3.  Probably 3/4 of my employees have worked for me in at least one other company.  If I were the one who hit one of my employees' cars, I would personally be calling the body shops to make sure that it was done correctly.

You are 100 percent corect.  It is a delicate balance I walk every day. 

I never stated that the boss is entitled to hit a car and walk from it. I am not sure why people seem to think this.  I actually think people want to read this into this thread so they can complain about it.   

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/14/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

"I am not sure why people seem to think this."     ...did you re-read your post?

1- my car is too small for him to see.
2-being a boss is a hard job.
3-" I am sure to him it is way down the importance list.  As in it is just one more annoyance he has to deal with."

OKBRO.

Epilogue- Bossette is making him park at the far end of the lot from now on.  laugh

AaronT
AaronT Reader
1/14/22 1:30 p.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to dean1484 :

"I am not sure why people seem to think this."     ...did you re-read your post?

1- my car is too small for him to see.
2-being a boss is a hard job.
3-" I am sure to him it is way down the importance list.  As in it is just one more annoyance he has to deal with."

OKBRO.

Epilogue- Bossette is making him park at the far end of the lot from now on.  laugh

Yup, the part where boss guy was absolved of his responsibility to handle his E36 M3 like a responsible adult because it's very hard to be a boss and being responsible for his actions is just too trivial because he's a boss is where I became lost.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/22 1:43 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Jerry said:

In reply to dean1484 :

He was parked next to me, had to walk past it. Your concern is duly noted...

Stopped at 3 shops. One said they were backed up till late Feb but ballparked $1000 or more to do it right. They recommended a mom and pop shop that said yes for removing trim, repainting whole side, much work, etc it would be that. But he wrote me up a $175 estimate for sand/buff/paint that made sense to me. Third place said come back later.

I'm going with the $175 estimate, it's roughly what I expected for the repair. If it were the Crosstrek I would have gone with the full deal repair.

(I work near Montgomery Cyclery in W Chester for reference. )

To be clear I am not saying he handled this properly at all just have a bit of compassion.  Would he be getting railed as much here if he was not your boss?  There is this general perception that because you are the boss and something like this happens the boss should be showing people with $$$ and go overboard with compensation and cowtow.  But if it was just a regular dope on the street this is not expected.  WTF is with this double standard.   But then taking the car to three of the most expensive shops for estimates as people suggested is equally as E36 M3ty a thing to do as how this was handled by him.   And yet somehow people think it is ok or that they are entitled to do it.  

It is really sad that this is considered acceptable.  

The moke on the street is, likely, as well off as me, and deals with the same E36 M3 as me.  They get hit and they are most likely going to have to take some time off work in order to deal with the situation and generally lose money on getting something fixed.  I'm not gonna get on him unless he tries to screw me over.

His boss, or my boss, is doing well enough to pay me* so by definition they are doing well enough to not worry about a couple hundred for an accident they caused.  They can show up at work damn near any time they want and not lose money as they aren't hourly.  Do I expect them to overpay me to get something fixed that they damaged? Nah, not really, but then again I don't expect much of many of my bosses.

As for kowtowing, yeah I kinda would expect it.  "You berkeleyed up my car" would be the reasoning behind it.  I don't hold much sacred, but what I do I hold tight.

*and if they ain't, they ain't my boss.  What they are is in a heap of trouble with the Dept of Labor.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8bI20RxeBpo92Jo0AOBF1i8ttcjEjFfGtFMN4QZ85B9kxQaHXGcnsaCHJERrYvl4