1 2 3 4 ... 7
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/6/21 4:13 p.m.

yea right now, its almost cheaper to buy new.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/7/21 2:40 p.m.

Picture this:

You're leaving work after a long day.

You get into your new car, press a button, and the top lowers.

Then you drive home. 

Another vote for the MX-5 RF. 

(And if it's raining, you just leave the top up and it's like driving a little coupe.)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/21 3:05 p.m.

I know a bit more expensive, but what about a c8?

edit, I missed the point about your wife wanting one. But after I read that, I fear (is that the right word?) that c8 is your answer. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/21 8:07 p.m.

I never liked Mustangs that much...except for Fox bodies.  People on the web always seemed to be yammering on and on about them.  I never got it.  Ugly in recent body styles and just so doggone ubiquitous.  Then I went on a business trip recently.  Hertz had a '20 GT 5.0 with the 10 speed waiting for me at the airport.  It was alongside a Hemi Challenger and I'd already sampled one of those so the 5.0 it was

My finding was that that is one hell of a good automobile.  

Get the latest one you can find.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/7/21 8:58 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

A single guy at work showed up with a new '21 Ford Mustang today.  Said he got a great deal on his 3 year old Ford Edge as a trade in.  It has really nice wheels on it.  

He said it has the 6 cylinder turbo Ecotec engine, really powerful.  I then said; uh huh.   

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
9/8/21 4:59 a.m.

A friend has the Subaru BRZ - lovely car to drive but unless you are a serious yoga person at your age you will become sick of getting in and out very, very  quickly.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/8/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

After the gremlins of the first year intro, I have become a huge fan of my 2013 FRS. Looking back I would have waited another year to let them figure this stuff out without me, I did the same with the 1990 Miata, so I really should have known better that to be an early adopter for the second time.

The FRS gives me all the driving experience of the Miata but is a lot more practical for loading people and stuff.  And here in Canada is 10-15k cheaper than the Miata.

The only thing I do not like about the FRS is the boxer engine configuration. It is a subjective thing since so far it has gone about its job just fine. I just learned that I hate boxer design engines. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/8/21 8:04 p.m.

In reply to RichardNZ :

" ...at your age you will become sick of getting in and out very, very  quickly..."

Dang! That truth smarted!  Maybe those extra stretches of getting in and out will keep me limber few more years!  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/8/21 8:12 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

It's probably apparent that I'm leaning toward the GR86. Granted, I haven't driven either car. It's mostly based on my experience with an na and mentally comparing that to an RF, and then my experience in an frs and imagining more power/torque and what appears to be some settled loose ends. 
I don't think I could go wrong with either but I imagine the 86 being a closer fit. And I do feel the similarity to my old 944's ...and I like that. 
I will report in after my back to back driving experiences for sure. 

mxandcx5
mxandcx5 New Reader
9/8/21 8:28 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

I have been really enjoying my 2017 BRZ that I picked up as a daily driver. Structurally, it makes my first gen Boxster feel like a wet noodle in comparison. Just about any shortcomings seem to be addressed with the new GR86 or BRZ (I would test drive both to compare, some good articles out there on the differences). One thing worth noting and I'm not sure it has been addressed with new model; I found the seat to be very uncomfortable due to it lacking lumbar support. Easily fixed with a pillow, but worth mentioning.

parker
parker Reader
9/8/21 9:05 p.m.

The seat is an individual thing.  I find the seats to be super comfortable.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/19/21 7:39 a.m.

In reply to parker :

The seats are workable to me. I don't think of myself as huge (delusional?) but they are snug on me. I haven't driven one for more than 30 minutes at a time so not sure how it would feel on a jaunt. Anything has to be better than my f350. 

I am hoping that Toyota listened to the comments made over the last gen and made some improvements. We shall see. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/21 7:48 a.m.
jh36 said:

In reply to RichardNZ :

" ...at your age you will become sick of getting in and out very, very  quickly..."

Dang! That truth smarted!  Maybe those extra stretches of getting in and out will keep me limber few more years!  

I was gonna bring the same kind of rain to this parade. I'm 54, fairly active, with no bone or joint or muscle issues, and I'm getting tired of climbing in and out of my sport-package E92 everyday.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/6/21 5:49 a.m.

Got the call yesterday. They want to know what I want for their allocation order. 
I am shooting blind, but based on reviews, it seems the lightest option is the base model. I don't get 18" wheels but it looks like the driveline is identical between base/premium based on what I've read. I don't have the official spec sheet yet. 
I don't need the seat heaters or additional babysitters found in premium package. I do like the ducktail on the premium but I can probably deal without that. 
I am considering NASA TT out of the box.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/21 7:06 a.m.

What about a CPO Boxster?  Can an off lease one be had for 40k?  Ok it is not a new car but CPO should net you a decent waranty. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/7/21 5:28 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I've driven a few Boxster including the most recent version. They are very nice, but I'm not the owner for them. It's not them, it's me. 
The cayman S is closer to my speed. 
If I could afford a GT4, I would have one. 

I have narrowed it to a Gr86 or the Miata RF because I want a fun, low maintenance, dead reliable car that I don't need to do an 8 hour flight check before driving down the coast. 

I want to be able to do regular maintenance, do track days when I feel like it and eventually mod and tweak it when the time is right. 

I want the option to keep it till I'm 80 and see 300,000 miles on the odometer. 

I don't want or need a status symbol daily driver. The two aforementioned vehicles fit the bill. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/24/21 6:38 a.m.

Update. 
My local Toyota dealership has been allocated one GR86 and they let me spec it out. 
It is on a ship and heading this way. 
Neptune Blue. Premium package to get the body trim and wheels I want. All the gizmos that can be deleted, are. I'm going to try and score an extra set of wheels for track tires. 
They are good folks and agreed to not let anyone demo it. In return, I've agreed to show it to interested parties and also host some laps at Summit Point for them. 
I will be 60 in two weeks, so the title for my thread seems pretty accurate. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/21 6:48 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Awesome!

I've not even sat in one yet, but that's at least partly on purpose. I really have no need to spend that kind of money(even used) for a toy that will rarely be driven other than around cones every month or so. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/24/21 6:58 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jh36 :

Awesome!

I've not even sat in one yet, but that's at least partly on purpose. I really have no need to spend that kind of money(even used) for a toy that will rarely be driven other than around cones every month or so. 

I hear you. This is extraordinary behavior on my part. Pretty weird. Most people that know me think I will back out at the last moment. 
But my daily is about to click over 300k and this will be my primary ride to work as well. So...justifying?  Maybe. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/21 8:14 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

I am excited for you!!!!   Even if you only terrify cones with it sometimes you don't need a reason that makes sense to others to do something. If it makes you happy who cares what others think about your choices.  I did the same thing a while back with a new to me Mercedes.  Ya I could have got a Camary but what fun is that?   Three years later (and a couple sets of tires) and the torque that thing has still makes me smile.  

Your happy place is light and nimble. I get that two. When I get the kids through college I hope to get something like that for HPDE days and back road cruising.   I am thinking Boxster or maybe a 996 but who knows. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/21 11:43 a.m.

I saw this rise to the top and was reminded there is replacement insurance available for new vehicles. I think I paid $500C for my Ranger last April. If the truck is totalled in the three years my payout is replacement not depreciated. 

I don’ Recall the company as it is separate from the regular coverage. As an aside the whole deal is different in BC. Once the sales paper work is complete then insurance/plates can be done and the dealership calls a roadrunner- insurance agent on wheels. Many dealers have an office they can plug into and get to work. In my case the roadrunner was there already but she was dispatching co-workers. We did the paperwork he lot boy put the plates on and I drove home.

PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham UberDork
12/24/21 12:14 p.m.

Alright! That's cool. I think you got one of the prettiest colors too.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/24/21 1:47 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Awesome!  I can't wait to hear your impressions of it when you get it!

I'm at about 5000 miles on my RF, and I have to say that for me it's been the perfect commuter car.  About 3500 or so of those miles was top-down, and the rest were relatively quiet and quite weatherproof compared to my NAs.  I still really enjoy driving it, the power delivery is great.

It does light up traction control a decent bit since I put on snow tires, though ..

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/24/21 11:07 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

In reply to jh36 :

Awesome!  I can't wait to hear your impressions of it when you get it!

I'm at about 5000 miles on my RF, and I have to say that for me it's been the perfect commuter car.  About 3500 or so of those miles was top-down, and the rest were relatively quiet and quite weatherproof compared to my NAs.  I still really enjoy driving it, the power delivery is great.

It does light up traction control a decent bit since I put on snow tires, though ..

I am looking forward to sharing my impressions. I can compare it to my daughter's FRS also. Yes...the RF is a fantastic choice. David Wallens had me thinking hard about that. I had to basically flip a coin. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/25/21 12:12 a.m.

Congratulations! 

I have only bought one new car in my lifetime, but I am seriously considering picking up a new BRZ or GR86 as well.  My wife has given me the go ahead, now I just need to see how I fit in one.

Looking forward to seeing your impressions on the car.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Z0wD5lsduNoS0D4UjOGyO7VFo29GnWqXbalNGbM2P0mCuZCj761LXwmoyahffOi