bosco
bosco New Reader
8/7/13 7:18 p.m.

I was planning to build a new Trans Am 2 type Howe Mustang but with Chevy LS1 for SCCA & V8 StockCar but my car builder had a customer that wanted one worse than me. I am selling the body to his customer and have decided to build the one I have longed for.

A tube frame 1969 Corvette with the L88 flares. It would be reminiscent of the old Owens Corning Corvette's that ran the 24 hours of Daytona and others.

It would be only a "Vintage Look" as it would feature a modern road race tube frame by Woody at Bemco Fab.

also:

• 600 plus HP carbureted LS motor
  • Jerico 4 speed
  • 9" Ford Grand National floater rear end
  • coilovers with Penske's
  • Brembo Nascar calipers
  • 3 link with watts link rear suspension
  • CCW 18x12 wheels
  • I will use the take off Pirelli World Challenge tire or the Rolex GT type Not nearly as expensive to build as it may sound and is essentially the same as my tube frame C6 racer Woody built me.

Will look something like this [URL=http://s641.photobucket.com/user/bosco022/media/3791f742-a938-4ca3-96c2-b7db545c51f8_zpsc95d90c0.jpg.html][/URL]

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
8/7/13 7:22 p.m.

Bosco, you build the sweetest cars

bosco
bosco New Reader
8/7/13 7:24 p.m.

Underneath it will pretty much look like this car but with 100 plus extra horsepower.

[URL=http://s641.photobucket.com/user/bosco022/media/rolexsebring13008_zps4e14f581.jpg.html][/URL]

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
8/7/13 7:25 p.m.

Do I get to drive one next year at Daytona, pleeeeaaaassseeee

grovel, grovel

bosco
bosco New Reader
8/7/13 7:43 p.m.

Race rental packages available lol

I will see you there, already got my tix

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/13 9:17 p.m.

My favorite Road Race cars. I got to work in a Resto shop in high school and we restored a few old racecars. This one is my favorite.

Some other L88 racecars
http://corvetterepair.com/portfolio/#!prettyPhoto[1969-l-88-rebel-57]/1/

bosco
bosco New Reader
8/8/13 4:41 a.m.
Wally wrote: My favorite Road Race cars. I got to work in a Resto shop in high school and we restored a few old racecars. This one is my favorite. Some other L88 racecars http://corvetterepair.com/portfolio/#!prettyPhoto[1969-l-88-rebel-57]/1/

The Dave Heinz car, I saw it finish 3rd overall at the 1973 24 Hours of Daytona. Heinz had some other fine finishes in pro racing with his Corvette's.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/8/13 9:52 a.m.

both pictured C3s are convertibles with hardtops attached. is the aero cleaner over that roof versus the coupe's flying buttress? or is there another reason? were all coupes T-top or something?

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
8/8/13 9:56 a.m.

Yes, all Coupes were T-Tops. Glass too, if you feel so inclined (I did).

cdowd
cdowd Reader
8/8/13 12:49 p.m.

now that looks like fun. keep us updated with progress.

bosco
bosco New Reader
8/8/13 1:05 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: both pictured C3s are convertibles with hardtops attached. is the aero cleaner over that roof versus the coupe's flying buttress? or is there another reason? were all coupes T-top or something?

John Greenwood also used the convertible with hard top type and he had help in his design from GM, so I would guess it was somewhat better.

I just think it looks cooler and should make fitting the body a bit easier as well.

Kerry Hitt from advanced composites is again making the L88 type body with the bolt on hard top.

This is what my C6 chassis looks like. The C3 will be similar, but shrunk down to a 98" wheelbase from 105.7 [URL=http://s641.photobucket.com/user/bosco022/media/bemcovettechassis_zps6c72250f.jpg.html][/URL]

Wally
8/8/13 4:45 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

That's what we were told, that it was for better aero. There were a few coupes that were raced but they were not as successful

This is the only successful coupe I can think of, if I remember right it holds the record for the most LeMans starts by a single car and on it's class atleast once.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/13 5:02 p.m.

bolt-on hard top would make fitting the cage easier too. Project it too awesome for words. Wax it well, for it will be drooled upon very much.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/8/13 5:09 p.m.

BOSCOOOOOO!!!!

Costanza demanded I do it.

plance1
plance1 Dork
8/8/13 9:00 p.m.

The C3 convertible vette with a hardtop looks better then the nonconvertible car any day of the week.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/9/13 6:16 p.m.

C3 roadracers are so deadsexy. Looking forward to this one.

bosco
bosco New Reader
10/20/13 2:57 p.m.

Been collecting parts for this project, so far have:

• Brembo Nascar Cup Calipers
  • dry sump carbureted LS6 motor 480 HP (will get a bigger LS later)
  • Penske shocks
  • convertible hard top
  • SWEET rack and pinion steering
  • 1/3/4 to 1 7/8 inch stepped headers
  • quartermaster bell housing
  • quartermaster triple disc 7.25 clutch
  • Turn One power steering unit
  • Kirkey racing seat
  • have sourced all the body parts
jmc14
jmc14 Reader
10/20/13 3:46 p.m.

Cool

bosco
bosco New Reader
12/31/14 6:28 a.m.

My tube frame 69 Vette road racer is a good six months behind schedule but is moving again. Woody at Bemco had to build a couple Trans Am 2 cars and a couple tube frame C6 Corvette's. Hoping to have her completed by spring and race at the SCCA Daytona event in May. Here is a pic of the chassis to date. Body is at the fiberglass guy getting the L88 Flares installed. Drive train and suspension all there at the shop ready to be installed. Chassis will be powder coated satin black.

I have decided to use a vintage type 23 degree motor that I have, as this will let it fit in HSR class for old IMSA Camel GT AAGT cars such as the DEKON Monza. This 327 ci motor makes about 525 HP.

[URL=http://s641.photobucket.com/user/bosco022/media/photo19_zps5e4a1c61.jpg.html][/URL]

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/14 7:26 a.m.

Nice!

Wally
12/31/14 8:14 a.m.

Needs 100 more CI.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/14 8:28 a.m.

Solid axle in a C3? Where's the suspension going to fit? Sounds very interesting.

bosco
bosco New Reader
12/31/14 8:58 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Solid axle in a C3? Where's the suspension going to fit? Sounds very interesting.

It will use a coilover set up with a watts link. Similar to that used in Trans Am cars. (both TA and TA2 class). The front clip is the HOWE TA2 design with SWEET rack, coilovers and Penske shocks.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/14 9:01 a.m.

Very interesting... Please keep us informed...

bosco
bosco New Reader
12/31/14 9:02 a.m.
Wally wrote: Needs 100 more CI.

Like the way you think! Actually the block is the 4.125 bore (400 type) but with a 3.0 crank to give about 327 ci. A stroker assembly could take it to about 421 ci and add about 100 HP.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Gb1NXIzsSH9AaT9Ua64aCyUVPzxZsmcFTU0OMGZ9JXPcqwwcqA0EwCnxacVI25v