1 2 3 4
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/23/21 2:56 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Nonsense to the statement, you're at the age when...

You can't take it with you. If there is something out there that you would enjoy significantly and you come across the best available example of it, and you have the means, go for it. 

I understand but I also realize the "things" I want I'll just be a temporary caretaker. My heirs will just cash it out. 
But I'll have the memories I get from racing 'til my dying days.  
     I've been looking at pictures from my racing past.  At one point I owned 10 cars.   They filled up most of my shop .  Owning them gave me little pleasure.  Racing  caused me to smile so much my face would get sore. 

solfly
solfly Dork
11/23/21 7:26 p.m.

K5

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 7:08 a.m.

Over paying is a personal definition. What I may consider the upper limit for some car someone else may consider it as over paying. It is a personal thing that is defined differently by individual people.  Yes many times there will be a consensus on things but what I value in a particular car will be different than others so where I may be willing to pay that bit more for a car that others don't see the value in.  

It is personal. It is a gut feeling. It is satisfying an emotional want or need.  For some it may be righting a wrong or it is honoring someone.  The reasons are almost always personal and almost always make the purchaser happy and that is all that matters.   

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/24/21 8:38 a.m.

Porsche 959

calteg
calteg Dork
11/24/21 8:57 a.m.

EG hatch with a well sorted K swap (with functional a/c)

dean1484
11/24/21 8:58 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

My mom's old Fairmont wagon.

My parents didn't think it was worth saving so they had it towed off by a wrecking yard. I have a lot of great memories about that car and would love it back.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it

I have been on the hunt for a 1979 zephyr wagon. Stripper model with the strait 6 even better if it was the light blue ford color.  Bonus points if it is made in Canada as it would have the built in block heater.   This is Moms car that I ended up with and it was a great car that I used for years as the parts getter/poor man's pickup truck.  Drop the rear seats and put all you camping stuff in it and you could go camping using it as a place to sleep.  

i have not seen one in years. Never mind one for sale. 

dean1484
11/24/21 9:11 a.m.
malibuguy said:

Holy grail for me

Guy I raced with that owned a GM dealership raced one of these (yes with the 4 doors).  It evolved into a road course monster. In it final form it was as much tube chases. As it was original car.  It was so cool and so mean looking.  

outasite
outasite HalfDork
11/24/21 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Turbine :

One of my favorite previously owned cars. Sadly I sold it to buy an 03 WRX wagon. Not a good decision.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
11/24/21 9:28 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

A 1980 Malibu 91C was my daily driver thru most of the 80s. Great fun car. Sold it and bought a 85 Impala 91C. It was not as much fun as the Malibu.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
11/24/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Like the wagon in the picture, I'll take the LX version. And I have an unhealthy addiction to scanning CL in PNW cities where they pop up frequently.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/21 10:17 a.m.
MrFancypants said:

I've read that they only made 100 of these, but I thought that it was as many as 1500.

100% with you on this one.  Hell, it's hard to even find a clean unmolested FC anymore.  A couple years ago there was a bone stock, low mileage one near me for 8-grand.  Was just a regular GXL, nothing crazy.  Should have bought.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/21 10:27 a.m.

There are a couple:

Beck Spyder

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Callaway Twin Turbo

Triumph Dolomite Sprint

calteg
calteg Dork
11/24/21 11:37 a.m.
buzzboy said:

If somebody legally has a diesel Toyota J73 in the US then I'll overpay for it.

Buddy of mine has one here in Austin. PM me if you're legitimately interested.

https://www.instagram.com/shibuilandcruiser/

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/24/21 11:56 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Overpaying requires that there be a large pool of similar items available that you could have bought for less, and yet decided to pay more for the one you chose.

Hmm...  I suppose by that definition, I overpaid for my current MINI - A 2006 Cooper S John Cooper Works.  It has most of the options and specifications I wanted and I bought it from a seller I've known for years and trust.  I've seen similar cars sell for less money, but I've also seen a small number sell for more, although usually with less miles so who knows.  

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
11/24/21 1:11 p.m.
Driven5 said:

If I had the time, money, and space: My neighbors slowly decaying TR250. It breaks my heart a little every day when I see it.

That's no big loss, though - heavier, and no faster than the previous 4 cylinder model.  Now if it was a TR5 I'd be right there with you!  Friend had a TR6 PI (home market) and the difference between it and the American model was HUGE!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 7:21 p.m.

The First Generation Honda NSX | Gray Beard Council

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/21 7:24 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

My mom's old Fairmont wagon.

My parents didn't think it was worth saving so they had it towed off by a wrecking yard. I have a lot of great memories about that car and would love it back.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it

I have been on the hunt for a 1979 zephyr wagon. Stripper model with the strait 6 even better if it was the light blue ford color.  Bonus points if it is made in Canada as it would have the built in block heater.   This is Moms car that I ended up with and it was a great car that I used for years as the parts getter/poor man's pickup truck.  Drop the rear seats and put all you camping stuff in it and you could go camping using it as a place to sleep.  

i have not seen one in years. Never mind one for sale. 

Hers was dark blue, straight 6 auto and a 1980.

She got it from a relative with very low miles too, she drove the hell out of it.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/24/21 7:33 p.m.

My mom had a 78 wagon, white with red interior. My dad was in sales and it was his company car. They liked it so much they bought it when the lease was up. It was a very good car

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 7:56 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Interesting.  It has the correct license plate but it does not have the door lettering.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 7:59 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

I've read that they only made 100 of these, but I thought that it was as many as 1500.

One year was 100, the other year wasn't.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
11/24/21 11:49 p.m.

Already done, 61 Morris Minor convertible. (Tourer).
Did not intentionally "Overbuy", just did not get quite the car I was expecting.
Some day I will learn to never buy without personal inspection first.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/21 6:44 a.m.

Semantics aside, I'll probably end up overpaying for a speed yellow 996/997 sometime in the next two years. 

They're rare and tend to sell pretty quickly. Combined with the high number of things that can go wrong with the engine, and the lower number of mechanics qualified to do a PPI means that I might have to buy one sight-unseen with a PPI from a shop that I haven't done business with before.

Or maybe I'll just buy a Integra Type R in Phoenix yellow and just enjoy life instead? 

Either way, life is short, and I'll be dead a long time. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/29/21 7:20 a.m.

I dunno if the white 79 is a 9c1 package.  Not that important to me.  Actually police heavy suspension on these are "f41" which my first 79 had.

I just want another 79 4dr, and particularly in white.  That car is visually exactly what I desire.  Driveline and suspension I am insensitive about.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/21 1:01 p.m.

The other one for me would be a clean manual 5th gen Civic EX sedan.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/21 1:10 p.m.

I over paid for a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata.  Previous owner put in the wrong size replacement radiator (my bad for not catching it) and the the overheating gradually cooked the head gasket.  So now I need a engine rebuild which isn't cheap.    

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uuIYjA954d7HFlsiysKrI9rWVMZKKHgPQB7QfU9XuXHhatMJttRJCGfQYZ6R2r9Q