1 2 3 4 ... 7
MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/22/21 12:50 p.m.

One of the last Ford Focii with the dual clutch auto-grenade transmissions.

Dodge Caliber with the CVT...  among the most miserable cars I've ever driven.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of anything else, but I'm the weirdo who longs for something like a pristine Mustang II because I think it'd be fun to have a perfect example of the most hated car on the planet.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/22/21 12:51 p.m.

There are plenty, but I dont really keep track of them.  One that comes to mind immediately is a CVT Saturn Vue.  Guaranteed transmission failure.  But I dont know that there are any left on the road for that reason.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/22/21 12:54 p.m.

I can't think of a single one. If you're paying me to take something, I'm getting money. Then I'd just scrap it if it was worthless, or sell it if it was worth something, or keep it if I liked it. Either I'm getting paid twice, or I'm getting paid to drive a car I like. 

I suppose there is a point at which the work involved is not worth it, but I kinda doubt it, assuming that it can roll. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/22/21 12:54 p.m.

I don' know how to narrow it down to a dozen, let alone one. But I'd probably go with.... ECODIESEL anything

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/22/21 12:55 p.m.

Speaking of CVTs....the Versa I drove with the CVT was just miserable to drive. The engine sounded apologetic that I was having to experience this too.

2nd slowest car I've ever driven, the first being a Fairmont with a 4cyl 4 spd. I've ridden faster bicycles

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/22/21 12:58 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Speaking of CVTs....the Versa I drove with the CVT was just miserable to drive. The engine sounded apologetic that I was having to experience this too.

2nd slowest car I've ever driven, the first being a Fairmont with a 4cyl 4 spd. I've ridden faster bicycles

Nissan's CVTs are just weird.  Their bottom line cars like the Versa and even base Altima are just awful, but the CVT in the Maxima is actually pretty damn nice to use.  Not just nice to use for a CVT, but nice to use compared to any transmission out there.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/22/21 1:00 p.m.

Anything Chrysler with a bunch of Mercedes in it like a Crossfire.  Maybe especially the Crossfire.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/22/21 1:06 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

Nissan's CVTs are just weird.  Their bottom line cars like the Versa and even base Altima are just awful, but the CVT in the Maxima is actually pretty damn nice to use.  Not just nice to use for a CVT, but nice to use compared to any transmission out there.

I've driven a Versa CVT and it drove exactly how I would expect a CVT car to.  Engine and car accelerate.  Once peak HP is reached, engine stays at that rpm while the trans ratio changes.  Yeah, its droney, but its exactly how a CVT should work.  I don't get the complaining about that.    Meanwhile the altima and maxima have CVTs that have fake 'gears' in them which is just dumb.

The reliability though... yikes.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 1:14 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I don' know how to narrow it down to a dozen, let alone one. But I'd probably go with.... ECODIESEL anything

should be able to find a cheap one out there to LS swap...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/22/21 1:17 p.m.

Nissan Altima. I despise the cars and the people that drive them. I will not be associated in any way.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/22/21 1:21 p.m.

I just finished looking at ads for a Renault R5 and a Renault Fuego, so my standards are low or non-existent.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/22/21 1:33 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
MrFancypants said:

I've driven a Versa CVT and it drove exactly how I would expect a CVT car to.  Engine and car accelerate.  Once peak HP is reached, engine stays at that rpm while the trans ratio changes.  Yeah, its droney, but its exactly how a CVT should work.  I don't get the complaining about that.    Meanwhile the altima and maxima have CVTs that have fake 'gears' in them which is just dumb.

The reliability though... yikes.

Yeah I appreciate why people are fine with the hit a single RPM and hold thing as far as peak efficiency goes. But I absolutely hate it. I'd rather have the fake gears, I can't imagine the overall difference in acceleration or efficiency is much.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/22/21 1:40 p.m.
Duke said:

I suppose if you were paying me I'd be stupid not to, but I wouldn't own any Mercedes product for longer than it took to offload it to someone else.

In addition to this, let me add the whole genre of lifted-coupe-4-door things.  I don't even know what genre name they're actually called.  But the BMW X2-4-6-8, the Benz GLC / GLE coupes, and anything like that from any other manufacturer.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/22/21 2:02 p.m.

Chrysler.

ErnieN85
ErnieN85 New Reader
11/22/21 3:07 p.m.

Any thing from FCI some of the most unreliable cars ever madeno

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/22/21 4:56 p.m.

Everybody's got a price, but it wouldn't take an Italian exotic unless the money they paid was enough to offset the ownership cost of using it exactly the way I want to. 

billstewartx
billstewartx New Reader
11/22/21 5:02 p.m.

billstewartx
billstewartx New Reader
11/22/21 5:02 p.m.

i drove one... i know....

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/22/21 5:09 p.m.

Chrysler Concorde/ intrepid/ whatever else shared that horrible platform.

Here's an idea: let's put an unreasonably heavy v6 waaay out in front of the axle so the thing is so nose heavy that even thinking about the brakes makes the front drop 6", and while we're at it, maybe uncomfortable seats, steering that feels like it's made from marshmallows and coupled with telekinesis. A battery is something that people have to deal with regularly, so let's put it behind the front fender. People like road noise, right? ALL the road noise! Also, there will be no ground clearance; speed bumps will damage things, this is mandatory. And the upholstery doesn't stain, but it LOOKS stained right from the factory. Deal with it. 
Seriously, BERK whoever green lit that abortion. It's like they saw GM designing the W body, and said, "let's do that, only way E36 M3tier." "I don't know, sir, the W is pretty terrible..." "Johnson, I want to take the E36 M3tiness to 11. I want to make the general puke." Then they did. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/22/21 5:32 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Chrysler Concorde/ intrepid/ whatever else shared that horrible platform.

Here's an idea: let's put an unreasonably heavy v6 waaay out in front of the axle so the thing is so nose heavy that even thinking about the brakes makes the front drop 6", and while we're at it, maybe uncomfortable seats, steering that feels like it's made from marshmallows and coupled with telekinesis. A battery is something that people have to deal with regularly, so let's put it behind the front fender. People like road noise, right? ALL the road noise! Also, there will be no ground clearance; speed bumps will damage things, this is mandatory. And the upholstery doesn't stain, but it LOOKS stained right from the factory. Deal with it. 
Seriously, BERK whoever green lit that abortion. It's like they saw GM designing the W body, and said, "let's do that, only way E36 M3tier." "I don't know, sir, the W is pretty terrible..." "Johnson, I want to take the E36 M3tiness to 11. I want to make the general puke." Then they did. 

Interesting.  I recall thinking some of those looked pretty cool way back in 2000 or so.  But now that I think about it, I don't know that I have seen one on the road in probably a decade.  Did they all get put out of their misery?

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
11/22/21 5:42 p.m.

Any Chrysler product from the 80's......maybe even the 70's.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
11/22/21 6:00 p.m.

1982 Ford EXP.  I was given one as a loaner. Sunroof leaked. It was ugly and a school bus beat me from a stoplight.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/22/21 6:08 p.m.

I want to drive literally everything at least once. For science.

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/22/21 6:31 p.m.

90's Taurus SHO

Been there, done that. Never again.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
11/22/21 6:35 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Chrysler.

I never get the Chrysler hate. It's usually from people that have never owned one, or they know someone that had (?) a bad experience. 
i have had many Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles with over 200K miles, wuite a few with over 250K, I think 3 with over 300K. My personal best was sold with 384K. Did they need repairs?  Yup. Has my Honduh been more reliable than my ChryCo products?  Nope. And I paid the Honduh tax too!   

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lu5J5jKvRvQxrKOtJIxdVDqAen2AL21PSWuDIElVAYR5vJKrxEvN7cHn8aZtMdom