Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
4/29/19 10:42 p.m.

I did my first track day and was fully SHOCKED at how unsecure I felt.  Like, bracing an arm on the center console (no wonder all the lid hinges are broken on them) kind of stuff.  My poor 13 yr old son apologized for the finger dimples he surely left on the door pull and possibly damaged seat.  Needs to slide and prefer adjustable back rest.  I suddenly feel like sway bars and a good seat are way more important than a turbo kit or LS swap.   Sorry Keith, lol.  Finished 7 th over all and was fastest in my small class.  They called it "Trackcross" as it was a timed single lap on an old kart track with racers started a half track apart.  Other than the $2018 Challenge, i have never raced anything but Drag before and it was a BERKLYING RIOT!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
4/29/19 11:00 p.m.

If I'm remembering correctly, you have an NB1, right? That would be '99-'00. If so, the later NB2 seats are probably your best bet, with a foamectomy. There aren't a lot of non-fixed back options that will be as good or better in terms of seating position. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/29/19 11:10 p.m.

Well let's check the cheap easy stuff first.

1. Are you locking your seatbelt? Move your seat back an couple inches, pull seat belt super tight on your waist, yank quickly to set the inertia lock, and then use up whatever little slack you have to move the seat forward back to the starting position. Easier with a power seat. There are also devices that help do this (cg lock I think).

2. Are you using the dead pedal? When not using the clutch, you can stomp down on the dead pedal with your left foot to hold you in the seat better.

3. Think about seat material. Cloth is generally much less slippery than leather, but what you are wearing can make a difference as well. Find some clothes that have some sticktion with your seat material.

Bam. 3 free or nearly free ways to upgrade your seat with little effort.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/19 11:16 p.m.

Yup, when I’m driving mostly stock cars on track I lock the inertial reel. Easy enough to do and universal. Even works on our ND V8 with stock seats and big fat tires. On my own cars, I also do a foamectomy.   

CG locks are a bit fiddly but also only lock the lap belt.  A locked reel is more effective.

Fixed back seats really take away from the streetability of a car so I consider them a track only option. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
4/30/19 7:12 a.m.

My best seat so far, was a modified early NA seat. I added thigh supports to the cushion pan, used foam from an old VW GTI seat and re-upholstered it. The back was stock except for a foamectomy. My current Miata has the later NB2 seats in leather. They're terrible. Unfortunately , very few seats will fit so you're confined to fixed back race seats or modifying one of the NA/NB stock choices.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/19 7:15 a.m.
kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/19 7:22 a.m.

Foamectomy + CG Lock = wonders.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/30/19 7:28 a.m.

His nb1 seat is cloth, non foamectomy, with some added material in the bolsters.

As far as better seats: i dont think the nb2 were any better. Nor the na. 

The universal ebay racing seats have much better lateral grip, but i seriously doubt it would create a better seating position, or even as good as stock for daily driver. 

Would running an aluminium seat on fixed rails for competition and stock for dd duty be acceptable here? I know i han have my seat out of a miata in about 10 minutes.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/30/19 7:57 a.m.

I like the swapping out seats as described above, best of both worlds.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/19 8:02 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Would running an aluminium seat on fixed rails for competition and stock for dd duty be acceptable here? I know i han have my seat out of a miata in about 10 minutes.

IMO I think it comes down to a few things: 

1. Is the OP running a steering wheel w/ airbag? 

2. Is the OP planning on running a 5 point + HANS? 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
4/30/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

Not sure.  I did well and had more fun than you would expect from something completely legal and morally acceptable so I want to do it again, and a lot.  That said, this car is my daily first and track time is expensive.  I dont like air bags, and very much want a different wheel.  A harness would probably suck as much as I am in and out of my car some days.   I really just need 2 "shims" to keep me from moving laterally

PS, I like that Sparco!

Dusterbd13-michael
4/30/19 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Could you bend up some 1/8 steel plate, bolt it under the rail to seat base bolts, and shape it in a way to force the side bolsters higher on the base? Kinda like a c clamp for your ass.

Maybe something like that for the seat back, but theres not enough structure to bolt in, so it would need to be a press fit.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
4/30/19 8:34 a.m.

I've used a cg lock in my daily drivers for at least 10 years and think they are great..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/19 8:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Justjim75 :

Could you bend up some 1/8 steel plate, bolt it under the rail to seat base bolts, and shape it in a way to force the side bolsters higher on the base? Kinda like a c clamp for your ass.

Great idea! ;)

Bolt-on seat bolsters from Flyin' Miata

BTW, leather vs cloth is a more telling comparison than NA vs NB seats. They all respond well to a foamectomy, but the leather seats have always felt flatter. We took a set of stock NB2 leather seats and replaced the center pads with suede, made a big difference on butt traction. I've said it before - but a foamectomy is not just "cut this chunk out of the base". To do it right, you assemble the seat without the covers and spend a bit of time sitting and shaping and sitting. Makes for a massively comfortable seat that will put you lower than just about any aftermarket setup.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/30/19 10:10 a.m.

My CSP car got a MOMO Corsa racing seat while I was developing it.  Momo steering wheel took care of the airbag and it had a roll bar and harness to complete the ensemble.  The difference is like night and day.  I went from sitting "on" the car to becoming one "with" the car.   A proper seat will hold your hips sure but more important for feel is to be held at the shoulders.  When you can relax your legs and torso you can be smoother on the controls and more connected to what the car is doing.

As a daily driver it's less than ideal but you know....race car.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
4/30/19 10:19 a.m.

I just need some way to limit my butt and shoulders from moving side to side in turns.  The FM bolster things may be the ticket.  Or 2 pillows.....

Dusterbd13-michael
4/30/19 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I actually found thise while looking for a picture of the ones we used in mims c5. Great minds think alike!

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
4/30/19 10:50 a.m.

For someone to beat Kieth to suggesting a Flyin' Miata part is unusual indeed, Mike.  Thanks to both of you.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
4/30/19 10:57 a.m.

For cheapness, another vote for NA seat + foamectomy + CG lock. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JtLGtMG0yNuyUgqAKnibmiLZro4gvNzTX18U62L39Wpxs8opODQNWgf0nG7riEyy