1 2 3
chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/12/23 9:16 a.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to chandler :

Is that an IG account? I can seem to find anything wheel related under that name. 

Sorry, fat fingered... g.a.s_74

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/23 10:10 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Thanks!

So after spending a solid hour on the IG rabbit hole I messaged a couple of people. Japan and Ukraine, we'll see if I get scammed or what lol. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/12/23 10:21 a.m.

Let me know if you find something. I have insatiable desire to build a set of BBS Super RS (18") for the new BRZ. 

I haven't been able to find any centers in 5x100. I'd be happy to have some 5x112 or 5x114.2 redrilled if I could find them.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/12/23 12:21 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Let me know if you find something. I have insatiable desire to build a set of BBS Super RS (18") for the new BRZ. 

I haven't been able to find any centers in 5x100. I'd be happy to have some 5x112 or 5x114.2 redrilled if I could find them.

I just got these 17" corvette centers if you want to try them. I don't like the 18" centers; the way the spoke draws out to the lip looks cheap to me.

Slippery
1/12/23 12:27 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Sent you a PM with a couple of questions.

Slippery
1/12/23 12:30 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Yep, I'll keep you updated. 

I dont mind redrilled 5 lugs, but hate 4 lugs redrilled on what used to be a 5 lug pattern. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/12/23 1:27 p.m.
chandler said:
z31maniac said:

I just got these 17" corvette centers if you want to try them. I don't like the 18" centers; the way the spoke draws out to the lip looks cheap to me.

Ewww yeah, I see what you mean on the 18-19" centers.

killeen_john
killeen_john New Reader
1/12/23 1:33 p.m.

Did you check Wheel Collision Center ?

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
1/12/23 2:53 p.m.

Oh man there is a ton of great stuff on IG

Slippery
1/12/23 3:39 p.m.

Starting to look into plan B.

I found a CAD model of a 15" center. Its rough, but that along with one of my wheels might be enough to get all the dimensions accurately. I will have one of my tires removed and hopefully I can get all the dimensions without splitting the wheel.

I am now on the hunt for a forged aluminum center blank. I have a few ideas on how to locate them, but not sure they will sell them to me.

Once that is acquired, I will CNC machine my own center and be done with it. I have spare lips, barrels and bolts. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/23 4:01 p.m.

Now that's grassroots.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
1/12/23 4:29 p.m.

It's worth while to consider if the AL needs to be heat treated or not.  I love the idea sir.  Heat treating can also be done very GRM as well.

Slippery
1/12/23 4:31 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

From my research, if I can get a forged blank I am good. We'll see what I find out.

Slippery said:

My 2 cents?  Get ya some Euro bumpers, they bolt right up with a couple minor tweaks and look great (though you'd need to find a different lower valance).

My old e30

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/23 5:59 p.m.

Where are you sourcing the barrels from? I have an original staggered set of RS005/6 my dad bought new for the family E28 that I wouldn't mind turning into a square setup.

I don't have a lot of pictures of the car on these wheels as most are from it on track, this is me heading out to Watkins Glen for the weekend though (wheels on the roof are 16 x 8 style 5 off of an E38)

Slippery
1/12/23 6:10 p.m.

In reply to ГУЛАГ мальчик УР следующий :

I've had the euro bumpers and all the needed parts sitting in the garage for at least 10 years :) 

I have to tell you that I dont hate the diving boards though. 

Slippery
1/12/23 6:14 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

There are quite a few places in the US to source the barrels, but I've used these guys out of the U.K and their service has been great:

SRR Hardware

Love your e28 with the euro bumpers. I was VERY close to buying an M5 before I bought the e30. A 535is is a car I always wanted to own. 

drock25too
drock25too HalfDork
1/12/23 9:11 p.m.

Local CL.

They're 14 though. 

Slippery
1/12/23 9:14 p.m.

In reply to drock25too :

Thanks but those are not RS. Those are the factory wheels. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/12/23 11:05 p.m.

This thread makes me wanted to find wheels for my 190e crying

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/12/23 11:19 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Blackforestindustries is another to source barrels, lips, bolts, center caps, etc. Although taking a quick look now, it doesn't look like they have quite the selection they did 10+ years ago when I was about to build a set of 17" RS for an E30 'vert I was playing with at the time. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
1/13/23 7:33 a.m.
adam525i said:

Where are you sourcing the barrels from? I have an original staggered set of RS005/6 my dad bought new for the family E28 that I wouldn't mind turning into a square setup.

I don't have a lot of pictures of the car on these wheels as most are from it on track, this is me heading out to Watkins Glen for the weekend though (wheels on the roof are 16 x 8 style 5 off of an E38)

So nice.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/23 1:15 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to adam525i :

Blackforestindustries is another to source barrels, lips, bolts, center caps, etc. Although taking a quick look now, it doesn't look like they have quite the selection they did 10+ years ago when I was about to build a set of 17" RS for an E30 'vert I was playing with at the time. 

I've bought bolts from Black Forest in the past when I refinished mine but it's nice to get first hand experience with these sites. I'll add SRR as another source if I decide to do anything.

Slippery
1/19/23 9:52 a.m.

Both people that I contacted through IG, plus a third one in Taiwan told me they have no single wheels. They are happy to sell me a set though, not worth it to me to spend $4k on a set when I only need one. 

The contacted someone about selling me a forged center, they declined. Great.

Might be ordering a chunk of 6061-T6 ... has to be way better than flow formed A3562 aluminum ... I could also buy 7075, but I think 6061 is safer on this application.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/19/23 10:24 a.m.

Keep looking, they do come up but sell quickly. I'm keeping an eye out for you also

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sE7goyqqJP7C8S7wtUQU1QPhXTOYCybGA7wpSGy5FcqCtoZxqP9ptVW8JGmOt2ex