FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/12/21 11:41 a.m.

My brother is working on installing a fuel injected Land Rover 4.6 V8 into his Triumph TR8 but he keeps getting multiple loss sync issues.  Is there anyone familiar with MS willing to look at his log files and provide some suggestions or anyone familiar with loss sync issues willing to give any things for him to check?  He is in central Michigan if anyone wants to help with the project. 

The log file I have is  from a cold start all the way through till when the WUE cuts off all while idling.  In the data log, the first loss sync is while cranking and throughout the warm up, he had 7 other loss sync occurrences.

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.  He has been struggling with this for awhile and is about to scrap the MS and the engine swap as he is tired of not being able to drive his car.   If you can help I can email the log file.  Thanks. 

Specifics of his install:

Rover 4.6 GEMS

Megasquirt 2 v3.57

DIY autotune 36-1 trigger wheel

Wasted spark ignition

Single narrowband O2 sensor

Started with a generic V8 base map

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
5/12/21 1:01 p.m.

Can you send us a tooth log and a copy of the tune to support@diyautotune.com, if you haven't already? A regular log may also help. I can have a look.

I wouldn't call myself anywhere near a MegaSquirt expert, and haven't looked at the logs, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express and given the early teething troubles I had with with my MegaSquirt project, here's the questions I'd use to start looking.

Is the crank angle sensor mounted close enough to the trigger wheel? Is the crank angle sensor mount stout enough to resist flexing and vibration? Is the crank angle sensor wiring properly shielded from interference?

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/12/21 2:25 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Can you send us a tooth log and a copy of the tune to support@diyautotune.com, if you haven't already? A regular log may also help. I can have a look.

We will send it over.  Thank you.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/12/21 2:25 p.m.

I will have it check the CAS mount and wiring.  Thankyou.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/21 2:48 p.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

Is the crank angle sensor mounted close enough to the trigger wheel? Is the crank angle sensor mount stout enough to resist flexing and vibration? Is the crank angle sensor wiring properly shielded from interference?

These, learned about this the hard way. It was mostly vibration for me. The sensor has to be VERY rigidly mounted to the engine, and set just close enough to the wheel to avoid contact.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/12/21 6:16 p.m.

Could be lots of things, but you didn't mention VR or HALL sensor. Regular datalog and tooth log go far here as Matt said. Lots can go wrong both electrical and mechanical. 

I know on a 3.57 with 60-2 you need a 10k inline with the sensor, but not sure on the 36-1. This is only for high rev sync loss, no impact around idle. 

Can't give much other advice without sensor type.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tG5T7Q56krt40S99zJOI47Qc39TAau3LoM77HShDcl2vBouxELj8ZiiTCfrbPDr5