1 2 3 4
BTD
BTD New Reader
7/18/16 9:12 a.m.

With how inexpensive these are, I'll be picking up a set befor the end of summer. Can't argue when they're 40% cheaper than other summer tires with probably 90% of the performance.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
7/18/16 9:32 a.m.

Still no 15" sizes?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/18/16 9:51 a.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: Still no 15" sizes?

Yeah, it's unfortunate they are not available in 15" sizes like they get overseas.

beans
beans Dork
7/28/16 7:08 p.m.

Tirerack test

Looks like the verdict is in!

FFI500>COMP2

beans
beans Dork
7/28/16 7:17 p.m.

Something else that caught my eye looking at tests: I've always thought the UHP and Max performance categories were fairly blurred, with the Max category giving better wet grip and sharper responses with a trade off in comfort. The BFG Comp-2 really brought that out as it felt(and basically was) just as fast as the Z1 Star Specs and definitely the S02's I ran previously on the same car. Doing some reading, I found people online who also had a similar result between the 'Stone RE760 and the S04, the the S04 being faster only in the wet. Comparing test results side by side between the S04 and the FFI500... The FFI500 is actually a faster tire, EXCEPT in the wet. The Max category just seems to have the best wet grip.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
7/28/16 10:22 p.m.
beans wrote: Tirerack test Looks like the verdict is in! FFI500>COMP2

OK, what I am extrapolating from the test is: the new Indy 500 is one you want if you want to set a "hero lap", the Sport Comp-2 is capable of turning more consistent lap times, due to it's superior mid-corner feedback and steering weight. Or: the Indy 500 is the "Time Trial" tire, the Sport Comp-2 is the extended session track tire..

beans
beans Dork
7/29/16 9:55 a.m.

I wouldn't put any of them through road course lapping. I had the Comp-2's and they worked fine for short Autox sessions, but they required a LOT of air pressure to make them feel stiff enough and not roll over the sidewall like crazy. They were quick, but not 200tw fast. I can't imagine how they'd feel on a road course. The compound was nice and soft and they DID pick up little rocks after a run or two. Considering the OEM Bridgetone RE050A's on my current Fiesta ST don't even do that, on a hot day, on asphalt, with 5 runs into them. Fun fact- I cut better 60ft times at Milan dragway with the Comp-2's than I did with Toyo R1R's, both in the same size. The Comp-2's felt noticably stickier after a couple passes than the R1R's did at the drag strip. I bet the softer sidewall helped as well.

I think the UHP category does just fine for the DD/occasional autox, for track days or frequent/heavy autox use, I'd go with a 200tw tire(if autoX is your fancy) or something like an R888(if you're on track). I think the Max category exists pretty much for superior wet traction with the same/slightly higher dry traction as the UHP category. 200tw tires have WAY too much grip on the street, IMO, and I would scare myself on Toyo R1R's at the cornering speeds they could handle on the street- that kind of grip on the street is almost unsafe when really pushing it. Too loud for daily use, too. The Comp-2's were a nice balance, but like TR has noted- they're a bit soft in the sidewall and not as responsive as I liked.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/29/16 9:57 a.m.

For what it's worth, Skip Barber uses Comp-2's on all their MX-5 and open-wheel track cars here at Road Atlanta.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/29/16 10:46 a.m.

I haven't driven on a set of the BFGs to compare, but I'd expect the bigger treadblocks and stiffer sidewalls of the FFI500s to work better on HPDE days.

I only have 2 autocrosses worth of data, but looking at my PAX results, I'm able to stay ahead of anyone not on RE71Rs or Rival S.

beans
beans Dork
7/29/16 12:19 p.m.

I don't think you can go wrong with either tire. Having experienced the Comp-2's and their shortcomings, I'm very eager to try the FFI500.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/25/17 12:27 p.m.

so it's been a few months, has anyone taken a chance and tried these tires? The price makes them very tempting for a fresh set of dd/track day tire.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
2/25/17 5:06 p.m.
carczar_84 wrote: so it's been a few months, has anyone taken a chance and tried these tires? The price makes them very tempting for a fresh set of dd/track day tire.

They did great during the 2 sessions of trackday that I did. No unusual wear, and they performed as well as I'd have expected from like an RT615K or something.

These aren't a winning tire, but they don't seem to mind high temperatures, and they wear really well.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/27/17 3:17 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler:

That's good to hear. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a set. I figure they are under $100/tire, so they are worth a gamble for a daily driven set that will maybe see one or two track days and an occasional autox.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/27/17 3:30 p.m.

I'm looking at these hard for the new truck in 275/40/18

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/27/17 3:45 p.m.

I also just saw that tirerack has the conti extreme dw's on closeout. They are $85/tire in my size. Now I'm a little torn...

beans
beans Dork
4/6/17 12:41 a.m.

I plan on getting a set for the FiST still when the OEM potenzas wear out. If they'd only release the 15" sizes here I'd be all over them...

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/17 1:53 p.m.

So I when ahead a bought a set of these for the BRZ. I couldn't find a reason to not try them for the price (under $90/tire). I've taken them to one auto-x and just did a SCCA Tracknight last night, and so far they get my vote!

Obviously not as much stick as the new "200tw" tires, but they also look pretty unfazed by the pounding they took last night. For a tire that will be my commuter, I would say they definitely hit way above their price point!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
4/14/17 8:49 p.m.

Boo no 18" sizes

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/15/17 8:59 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP:

Check Tirerack, they look like they have a decent range of 18" sizes.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
4/16/17 9:56 a.m.

In reply to carczar_84:

I stand corrected! Pretty nice price at $164 for the 275/35/18!

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/19/17 8:11 p.m.

I wish they'd do these in sizes for the C5Z, they have everything but.

My buddy is ordering a set for his regular C5, $450 or so from TireRack and my local hookup.

Other friend just swapped his back onto his 08 GTI. Still great. Little road noise, hooks decently enough from a dig (Revo S2) and carves corners pretty decently. Likes them a lot better than the BFG Sport Comp 2s he replaced. Probably 10k miles on them or so.

I can say that, without a doubt, they are absolutely terrible in snow. Thought we were going to die. Thanks Michigan weather.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
4/19/17 9:05 p.m.
Drunkonunleaded wrote: I wish they'd do these in sizes for the C5Z, they have everything but. My buddy is ordering a set for his regular C5, $450 or so from TireRack and my local hookup. Other friend just swapped his back onto his 08 GTI. Still great. Little road noise, hooks decently enough from a dig (Revo S2) and carves corners pretty decently. Likes them a lot better than the BFG Sport Comp 2s he replaced. Probably 10k miles on them or so. I can say that, without a doubt, they are absolutely terrible in snow. Thought we were going to die. Thanks Michigan weather.

Same.

I loved my re760s and camt decide on a replacement

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/19/17 9:24 p.m.

I have a spare rear Z16 wheel. Need one more and I'll probably jump to 18s on all four corners with Rivals in something like 295/305 or thereabouts.

There aren't many options left unfortunately.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/17 9:46 p.m.
Drunkonunleaded wrote: I can say that, without a doubt, they are absolutely terrible in snow. Thought we were going to die. Thanks Michigan weather.

You live in Michigan, where winter happens from time to time, and you didn't have winter tires?

Well, I guess tow truck drivers need to eat, too.

(Following thread to see if anybody has made commentary regarding the Continentals from the latest issue of GRM. Which are available in many sizes. And I work at a Conti dealer. And my Comp2s have about 10k on them and are worn out. So I am curious. And thus came here)

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/20/17 8:59 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Drunkonunleaded wrote: I can say that, without a doubt, they are absolutely terrible in snow. Thought we were going to die. Thanks Michigan weather.
You live in Michigan, where winter happens from time to time, and you didn't have winter tires? Well, I guess tow truck drivers need to eat, too.

Technically, I do not have winter tires. I have a truck for winter.

Re-read my post, I was referring to my friend who is running the 500s on his GTI. He's also fiscally irresponsible and a complete idiot, but YMMV.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NARKtKKKO4U4YhC0vD3gsE2nZMQZxHfqaBfyNhEurZtVimlJFfXbxQiO7rs1VoXc