Spencer
Spencer New Reader
8/20/21 12:25 a.m.

It sounds like more details are set to come at SEMA this year, but Ford is releasing a crate version of the Mach-E motor. It will be neat to watch as electric motor swaps become more common and accessible.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9000-MACHE?cid=PRODDM264625&bid=800998995

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
8/20/21 12:44 a.m.

Does NOT include:

• Traction invertor
  • Control system
  • Battery
  •  

What is a traction invertor?

Probably in a few years Speedway & Summit will have different versions & prices.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/21 2:10 a.m.

And they say the future of motor swaps is dead in California! 

I actually really want to see someone swap this into a 1977 Cadillac El Dorado and fill it up with enough batteries to get cross country on a single charges and to set the cross country EV time record in the process. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/21 9:08 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I actually really want to see someone swap this into a 1977 Cadillac El Dorado and fill it up with enough batteries to get cross country on a single charges and to set the cross country EV time record in style! 

FTFW!

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/20/21 10:07 a.m.

Would the traction inverter basically mean the transmission system?

I'm kinda jazzed about this.  I know it's early days, but I'm hoping this continues and you'll see battery options open up, too. 

-Rob

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/20/21 10:30 a.m.
mdshaw said:

I believe that's 'Ford' for 'Motor Controller'

i.e., what is listed is just the electric motor connected to a transmission/differential

still, pretty cool to see

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/21 10:35 a.m.

This is what I'm waiting for, crate versions of the new generation of EV powerplants. GM's "Bolt in a box" is a start but it's pretty heavily constrained by packaging. Hopefully they'll also offer up a traction inverter (that sounds so technical while also making very little sense) because that's a hard thing.

Under "similar parts": 655 hp 572 ci big block crate motor. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/20/21 10:46 a.m.

I hope/expect they'll make the parts not included available soon?

I didn't really dig around looking for them from my phone, but I was surprised they weren't linked from the motor page...

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/20/21 10:47 a.m.

Gattica really did see the future.  

https://youtu.be/DYwU-fRIuZA

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/21 12:16 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I actually really want to see someone swap this into a 1977 Cadillac El Dorado and fill it up with enough batteries to get cross country on a single charges and to set the cross country EV time record in the process. 

Blue Chevy van, with Acme Plumbing on the side.

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
8/20/21 12:38 p.m.

Traction Inverter....?  Maybe that is the regenerative braking mechanism? 

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
8/20/21 12:46 p.m.

Does NOT include:

• Traction invertor
  • Control system
  • Battery

This part defeats the purpose of an OEM EV crate motor, IMO. The motor control system and battery pack (most importantly the battery management system) are the hardest parts of a modern EV conversion. Unless they come out with a complete package, it's still a highly technical puzzle rather than a DIY swap.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/20/21 12:57 p.m.

The motors are called traction motors. Traction Inverter should just be the power supply for the motor (the inverter to power the traction motor). Batteries are DC, motors are AC, the inverter is part of what goes in the middle. Same thing you expect to be there with a Bold New Name!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/20/21 1:03 p.m.
mdshaw said:

It's a more modern turbo encabulator. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/21 1:12 p.m.
newrider3 said:

Does NOT include:

• Traction invertor
  • Control system
  • Battery

This part defeats the purpose of an OEM EV crate motor, IMO. The motor control system and battery pack (most importantly the battery management system) are the hardest parts of a modern EV conversion. Unless they come out with a complete package, it's still a highly technical puzzle rather than a DIY swap.

I suspect we'll see the full package before too long. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/21 1:43 p.m.

No controller? Hope that's available separately,  or that's a nice paperweight they're selling.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9oRAp9eA6PdLzOgGmAQziT4GEOb9Osoj0FrWnAJHpoN8EnqRZb9srelyBUW8HM5i