1 2 3 4 5
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/14 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Derick Freese:

it's a new gf, his feelings on that concern are still too skewed to make a proper judgement

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/14 9:37 a.m.

Mrs. Javelin has never touched the actual Javelin. Fine by me!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/13/14 9:38 a.m.

Tell her:

"Listen, I am the man in this relationship, and that means you do as you're told and speak when you're spoken to. I don't recall asking for your opinion."

If the pool of blood that ensues afterwards is small enough that you don't need a transfusion, you're good to go. If not, visit the hospital and then get a new gf. Maybe you'll find a cute nurse!

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
1/13/14 9:49 a.m.

This may or may not have something to do with the first time she rode in it, which was after about three inches of snow.

She was not amused by my antics.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/13/14 9:51 a.m.
OSULemon wrote: This may or may not have something to do with the first time she rode in it, which was after about three inches of snow. She was not amused by my antics.

Well that's totaly different. My wife wasnt' impressed with my antics in last weeks snow and ice with the Mustang either, and she DD's the car. Traction and stability control off, trans in sport mode. LSideways here I come

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/14 9:56 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: PIITB?

the miata doesn't mind when you throw junk in its trunk.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/13/14 9:58 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:

As advertized by the rainbow sticker

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/14 9:58 a.m.

My sister liked an NB so much she bought it.

She's a textbook "GRM'ers nightmare" car owner who will drive around with low oil, flat tires, you name it until the car can go no further, but she likes the looks of it and puts up with the lack of interior space and hauling capacity (which she needs).

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/13/14 10:00 a.m.

My wife HATES my WRX. It's too loud, it rides rough, etc.

She rides in it, but not without complaining and absolutely won't drive it. I am fine with all this.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
1/13/14 10:03 a.m.

She says she likes the car, but it's hard to get in and out of, and she's worried because it's a convertible (safety). But she does like it, isn't embarrassed to be seen in it, etc.

She said last night that she hates it. Maybe she was joking.

Maybe I should put a couch on the trailer and she can ride in that. :D

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/13/14 10:06 a.m.
OSULemon wrote: This may or may not have something to do with the first time she rode in it, which was after about three inches of snow. She was not amused by my antics.

My wife doesn't like it when I slide around in the dry.

Or squeal the tires on off-ramps/on-ramps on the highway in her 3.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
1/13/14 10:13 a.m.

At least she's a new gf, so cutting the ties will be easier...

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/13/14 10:19 a.m.

Such are the vagaries of developing a relationship. In all relationships there is the water and the rock. The rock is unyielding and the water is accommodating. There is often turbulence involved. This will continue until a balance point is established as it always does.

So, here is what I see, you are the water, she is the rock.

Dump her and go sailing.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/13/14 10:30 a.m.

SWMBO got claustrophobic when riding in mine. Short trips were fine, but long rides were out.

She fully supports me getting another one though.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/13/14 10:37 a.m.

Miatas are fun to drive, but not fun to ride in. GF does not like riding in mine.

I'd rather ride shotgun in a Grand Prix as well.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/13/14 10:44 a.m.

My wife has been eye balling Miatas since the last driving school she hung out at. The SM 240SX might be a bit much for her to race, so the Miata would be a good starter car for her.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/14 10:44 a.m.

On the 'don't like being chauffuered around' issue, I second seeing if you can just drive her car. That's what SWMBO and I tend to do- unless there's a good reason I can't/shouldn't be driving, regardless of whether it's one of mine or it's hers, I'm usually the one driving. She likes being able to relax, I like to drive- works out well for both of us.

Is her issues with getting in and out of it that it's difficult to do in nice/trend clothes? While SWMBO loves the attention we get in the 'D probably more than I do, she always gripes that because it's so ridiculously low that it's near impossible to get in or out of it in anything besides slacks or a full-length skirt without showing a lot more skin than she'd prefer (and if she's in a miniskirt? ). I usually manage to keep a straight face when sympathizing with her about that since I'm usually there helping her up out of the car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/14 10:49 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:

As long as it isn't anything too big.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/14 10:57 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote: On the 'don't like being chauffuered around' issue, I second seeing if you can just drive her car. That's what SWMBO and I tend to do- unless there's a good reason I can't/shouldn't be driving, regardless of whether it's one of mine or it's hers, I'm usually the one driving. She likes being able to relax, I like to drive- works out well for both of us. Is her issues with getting in and out of it that it's difficult to do in nice/trend clothes? While SWMBO loves the attention we get in the 'D probably more than I do, she always gripes that because it's so ridiculously low that it's near impossible to get in or out of it in anything besides slacks or a full-length skirt without showing a lot more skin than she'd prefer (and if she's in a miniskirt? ). I usually manage to keep a straight face when sympathizing with her about that since I'm usually there helping her up out of the car.

Sounds like both girls need to learn how to get out of a car discreetly. Legs together, lift them up and over the sill and rotate them over to the ground/curb, use both arms to leverage your way out of the car or take your gentleman's hand. Being a gentleman and going around to help them out is a good idea and can win some points, also parking where they can open the door fully helps.

After driving a Grand Prix rental around Maui and through the famed Road to Hana, I can say that was one of those most miserable pieces of crap I've ever had the misfortune to drive. Have the GF try driving the Miata and see if that changes things. I can also understand that they aren't as much fun to drive with the top up, so saving it for nicer days also makes some sense.

peter
peter Dork
1/13/14 10:59 a.m.
OSULemon wrote: She was not amused by my antics.

Have you thought about fixing this issue? I was once taking a friend around town in my Miata, all was well until I took a corner at a slightly inflated pace in order to catch the light. Gave her flashbacks to a nasty wreck she'd been in some years before, the result was somewhat akin to what happens when you try to give a cat a bath...

Maybe it's not the car so much as how she feels as a helpless passenger in your car...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/13/14 11:03 a.m.

Buy a Hard Dog, install it, and say "Look, its safer. I did this for you"

Also PIITB.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/14 11:05 a.m.

The wife doesn't like anything that doesn't have airbags. So anything older than the 90s is a no go.

The first time I took her in a ride in a Corvair, her anxiety skyrocketed. A steel dashboard and lap belts were not very appealing.

Doesn't bother me, more time I can spend by myself.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/14 11:12 a.m.
peter wrote:
OSULemon wrote: She was not amused by my antics.
Have you thought about fixing this issue? I was once taking a friend around town in my Miata, all was well until I took a corner at a slightly inflated pace in order to catch the light. Gave her flashbacks to a nasty wreck she'd been in some years before, the result was somewhat akin to what happens when you try to give a cat a bath... Maybe it's not the car so much as how she feels as a helpless passenger in your car...

My Dad's best friend refused to ride with him after a very spirited drive one night, in Dad's Elan S1, to the store to get bread for dinner. Now this friend was also a Formula Ford driver and they grew up together working on old cars together and this friend had a 2002 at the time and is known to drive "assertively" as well.

We all do it to some extent at one point in time or another. I scared the wife with the new 951 (after the blast up the road, she asked, "are you trying to kill me?") and she's ridden with me in my old CSX and she's ridden with me while autocrossing to the point she even bought her own helmet. So much like jokes, you have to tailor your driving a bit to the audience and slowly work up to their comfort level and gain that trust.

Like I said, let her drive it a bit and learn how responsive and fun it can be and she'll see you're just enjoying it and aren't likely to kill anyone with it.

evildky
evildky Dork
1/13/14 11:17 a.m.

Your girlfriend hates the miata but your wife still likes it, right?

Have you explained that you hate being chauffeured in here former rental car as much as she hates the miata?

I'm also wondering why you don't have another car, unless your other car is another miata. Being in this community and having 1 car is like fishing without beer.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/14 11:18 a.m.

Look on the bright side...you have an automatic DD when you go out. After a couple of cold ones, a Grand Prix starts to look pretty hot.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HDxiSyZTygp0qcf7RY3Ocmro1tHnG3ZXItvfKlyYWMym4OVTktEWUHKGu30NtyGf