1 2 3 4 5
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/13/14 7:15 p.m.
naparsei wrote: In reply to racerdave600: Yeah, it's probably tough when both your wife and your girlfriend hate your Miata. Maybe you should get them together and they can work through their car issues.

Not at the same time of course! Traded the gf for another gf that became the wife, had the Miata for both. Now if I could have worked it out to have both at once... ...but they still wouldn't have liked the Miata and probably would have started a club of some sort, and not in a good way!

Now that I think about it, Miatas are probably the most polarizing cars I've ever owned.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/13/14 7:18 p.m.

I hate Miatas too. Pick up the phone. Leave her alone. I'll make a social call.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/14 7:44 p.m.

My wife loved my MSM but hated my NA. She liked my MSM so much she named it...Whoosh. She felt the NA was not a real car but the MSM was. She loves the boxster and keeps asking when we are getting another convertible.

She even loved the Penske Hertz Mustang we rented.

Keeper :)

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/13/14 8:04 p.m.

That's funny. I am not a huge fan of miatas and just drove an MSM and thought "this doesnt really help much". And regarding the shifter comments, i was pretty unimpressed with the shifter too.

I think my partner probably doesnt like several of my cars to the same extent the OP's girlfriend doesnt like his one car. It hardly ever comes up because most times we ride around in one of the cars she has no problem with. She hates one of my cars because the top corner of the door always tries to stab her. I can't fault her on that one because she's right.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
1/13/14 8:14 p.m.

My ex-wife didn't like the cars I drove.

My ex-wife didn't like the way I drove.

My ex-wife didn't like my other hobbies.

Do you see a pattern here?

pirate
pirate Reader
1/13/14 9:50 p.m.

I have been happily married for decades and unless dating has changed a lot its a time of learning about each other, when you are the most tolerant and forgiving about opinions, personal traits, etc. If she is already at the point of hating something she knows you like and refusing to do something except if it meets her conditions you better hang on because its not going to get any better. You better start learning the phrases "Yes Mam", "You are certainly right", "I'll take care of that right away", "Would it be alright if I ______ (fill in the blank) because your going to need to.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
1/13/14 11:59 p.m.

My wife does not particularly like the Miata I just bought. She constantly compares it unfavorably with the 2000 MR2 she owned when we first got married. In her eyes nothing is better then her old MR2. Even the Boxster S I bought to replace it with was not as cool in her eyes. Sigh....

Two kids later nothing is better in her eyes then the Yukon Denali she pilots now. I am hoping this summer the Miata will grow on her after she has a chance to drive it a few times.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/14/14 12:36 a.m.

We had a Grand Prix, and the wife HATED it. Hated the looks. Hated the sofa, err bench seat covered in some faux suede. Hated the auto trans. She was happy when that car died and I brought home a 78 Silverado.

She laughed when I said I wanted a Dodge Neon. That changed teh first time she drove my ACR Coupe. She gets tears in her eyes when she talks about that car now.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/14/14 2:03 a.m.

read the first page, half of the second, scrolled to the bottom to post this:

maybe it reminds her of a car that her male hairdresser used to have?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
1/14/14 7:08 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I used to date a girl that HATED the Miata and refused to ride in it. She considered them gay and said any guy that drives a Miata is not manly enough for her. No, we didn't date long. She drove a Malibu. I think that's all you really have to say.

Well, that, and this:

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/14/14 7:23 a.m.

In reply to rustysteel:

Let me know when you're done with that. I'll take it. The Mustang. My wife wont let me have any more women.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
1/14/14 10:39 a.m.

We'll see what happens when the sun comes out.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
1/14/14 10:54 a.m.

I got an NA Miata while the '62 Sprite was apart so we'd have something for top-down weather. Another project house and going W2W racing (and rebuilding the car a couple times, and chasing as championship) go in the way of finishing said Sprite for about 4 years. Now, reminded of how utterly primitive the Sprite is the Miata seems modern and plush by comparison. Hell, it has door handles, windshield wipers, a top that folds right down, a heater, air conditioning and a radio, not to mention seat belts that you can do with one hand.

All of this said - if you're planning on being a car person for life and you also want a life partner, she won't do. You both need to be happy, and this is a fundamental thing that won't last.

In the 90s as a dirt-poor motorcycle road racer, my awesome wife, who was GF at the time sat in a folding chair, no canopy for entire weekends just waiting for the time that she'd need to find someone to load the gear while she went to Ranson hospital to see if I could still move my fingers and toes.

After I quit the bike racing, she'd earned a lifelong pass on track trips. But several years ago as I was getting ready to attend a 4 day SCCA double race school, she informed me that I was going to need help, and that she was going. Fast forward to last season where she was my race help every day of a full series season aside from a couple Friday practices at Summit.

Trust me - life is better with someone you're on the same page with on the big stuff.

evildky
evildky Dork
1/14/14 11:00 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: In reply to evildky: I gave you a +1, because “having one car is like fishing without beer" is funny as hell. Even though I don't like fishing, I get the analogy.

I actually don't fish or drink beer, I borrowed that line from southpark ("hunting, without beer? thats like fishing...without beer!"). I figure there are more albino's on this board than people who own only one car.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
1/14/14 11:00 a.m.

In reply to motomoron:

Motorcycle girls are scarcer than car girls, unfortunately.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
1/14/14 11:31 a.m.

Some people do have hangups about certain cars, but are still great spouses. My wife (who co-drives the rallycross car), hasn't explicitly banned me from owning a Camaro, but has said she'd never ride or drive in one with me. That does not apply to Firebirds. She knows its a ridiculous hangup, but she's sticking with it. Apparently, a lot of redneck idiots drove Camaros at her high school, and pretty much set her opinion of the car for life.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
1/14/14 11:41 a.m.

If my GF told me she hated my car and wouldn't ride in it that would make me mad to be honest, lol.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/14/14 11:42 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: PIITB?

Hey, now, no anal jokes when we're discussing Miatas... don't want to reinforce the stereotype!

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
1/14/14 12:02 p.m.

My GF loves the Z and keeps wanting to drive...I told her to wait and she can have her own

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
1/22/14 5:23 p.m.

Found someone who likes my car and lets me PIITB

Problem solved.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/22/14 6:55 p.m.

Boy the new one sure is trying to rope you in quickly, ain't she?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/22/14 7:33 p.m.

Mrs Aussie can and does drive all the cars we have, she loves letting to RX5.0 loose and blasting by the local Porsches.

My keeper.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/22/14 7:48 p.m.
likes my car and lets me PIITB

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/14 7:48 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Because its a guy :D

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork