carguy123 UltimaDork
10/8/21 10:01 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Ridgeline doesn't even come close

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/8/21 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Basically it makes the front of the door opening begin much back and your foot doesn't easily clear the opening

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/8/21 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

Boy your gas mileage sucks compared by my Ford!

I'm glad to see I wasn't just hallucinating at the Fair, because as tired as I was that was a distinct possibility.

I wonder why the eTorque's mileage is worse than the standard engine?

I realized today the Dodge's engine is bigger than the Ford's.  The last 351 Ford I had got terrible mileage.  I have the 4.6 and my son in law has the 5.0 and we get the identical mileage.  We both average 17.8 or 17.9 for around town and city mileage.  Both of us have about 50/50 city and hwy

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/8/21 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Thanx for the feedback.  I probably won't get the 3.6 even with the 4 mpg difference because that is a BIG truck.  I sure wish all the full sized trucks were about 3/4 of their present size.

eTorque and air suspension, while the sound good, worry me a little.  Added complexity is rarely a benefit.  Gran Cherokee?   That's got to be the same system as on the Ram

I do want the truck to also be able to double as a somewhat luxury vehicle as it's the best way to take a load of people downtown and they are great on trips.  I don't want to be embarrassed driving a truck - who am I kidding?  Here in Texas trucks are the norm.

I hadn't heard about the transmission failures so I'm glad to see that the newer trans are better.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/8/21 10:14 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I got to sit in the new Tundra.  They were at the Fair as Prototype Vehicles.  They are better than the old model but still behind the Dodge and Ford.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/8/21 10:17 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

That is definitely the size truck I'd rather have, but I had the Explorer Sport Trac before, which I'm presuming is about the same size as the Maverick and hauling rock or anything heavy made stopping a crap shoot.  I'd get pushed all out of shape, and I don't mean in a good way like in the Song "Little Duece Coupe"!

But I will go take a look at them to be sure.  I didn't notice them at the Fair

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/8/21 11:33 p.m.
Folgers said:

I bought a 2018 ram, crew cab, 3500, 8 foot bed, in 2019, 6.4 hemi,  for $32000. It’s  a tradesman without carpet. 

By far the most truck for the money at the time. The chevys rode better but didn’t have the capability and were more money, the fords rode comparably for more money. 

The 2019 and newer hd gas rams have an  eight speed transmission. They do not have a shifter on the column. It’s a knob on the dash. That was a dealbreaker for me at the time. 

Your mileage may vary, with all the craziness in the world right now. 

I love the knob. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/9/21 6:26 a.m.
carguy123 said:

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Basically it makes the front of the door opening begin much back and your foot doesn't easily clear the opening

I could be wrong but I read a lot of car magazines as a kid so I think I'm right.. I've always understood "A pillar" is the front (windshield) and B, C, D, E follow front to back. So the C pillar in a four door truck is at the back of the cab.. and it holds up the roof.

Are you talking about the door jamb at the hinge/bottom corner of the rear door?

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
10/9/21 7:48 a.m.

Friend of mine just got a 17 Ram 1500 Sport quad cab w/5.7 and tow package and really likes it. He said it rides better than his 07 Ram 2500 and gets a big grin when he stomps on the pedal. laugh

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/10/21 9:09 a.m.

I have owned multiple RAMS and have had great experience.  The only thing I'll add is NO, you should not consider the 3.6 V6.  I had a 2019 1500 quad cab 4x4 and it was fine for a daily.  However literally put anything in the bed or behind it and it struggled to move the load.  We had a 3000# travel trailer and it was horrifying to drive (not from sway, just from acceleration, cresting hills, etc).  I have have a 2500 diesel and wonder how I ever lived without it haha.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
10/10/21 9:33 p.m.

As I small update I made a trip to Denver this weekend to pick up a set of wheels.  With the cruise set at 80mph I averaged 18.4mpg.  It doesn't get much more flat than i70 between KC and Denver.

Also, not all the Rams have air suspension.  I think it's just the Lariat unless you option it.  My Bighorn with off road package and sport package does not have air suspension.  

Initially I did not care for the shift "knob" but my brother also has a brand new Ram 2500 with the shifter on the column and it honestly feels like poo.  So given the choice between the two I'd rather have the knob.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/21 9:52 p.m.

I liked my Dodge but they dent easier than any vehicle I have ever seen.  What would be nothing to another car will be a door ding, what would be a door ding will be a dent......  what would be a dent......  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/11/21 7:33 a.m.

another weekend in the truck. Towed up to RA and bac.just shy of 700 miles. Averaged 15 mpg at 70mph. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pO1QLf497dlZCmi7eqWtY6Uh267oxFe27k8cpuBwPGHk2YGzsMvbEVb91hO6dYxi