1 2 3
mike
mike New Reader
4/24/21 2:40 p.m.

Episode 34 is up

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/24/21 3:51 p.m.

Most complex heater ducting ever.  The next episode where they start bolting on the important bits (like the engine) should be good.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/21 9:45 p.m.

DYNAMAT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

...okay, I feel better smiley

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/21 12:15 a.m.

It was quite satisfying to watch parts getting bolted on. I got a chuckle out of the dynamat cutting gag too.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
4/25/21 9:06 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

DYNAMAT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

...okay, I feel better smiley

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Aren't you generally supposed to put it in the centre of the panel, maybe covering ~50% of the area?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/21 9:09 a.m.

Notice how they didn't weigh it again after pouring a bunch of asphalt into the car :) No matter, simply watching the reassembly is really rewarding. 

I'd like to know more about the carpet. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
4/25/21 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Someone on the BOM forum has asked the same question. No reply yet. 

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
4/25/21 9:20 a.m.

a little extra weight isn't going to hurt that, have you seen the turbo?

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/25/21 9:38 a.m.

Hey, that turbo is all about safety.  They said so.  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/25/21 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Do you think maybe this episode was sponsored by Dynamat? To their credit, they did mention in passing that 30% surface coverage would do the job.

What I liked was that this episode shows how all the work creating clip holders and component passages is paying off.  Abd yeah....those heater ductssurprise  I had already done the math on the effort to make the HVAC plenum, and if billed  at shop rates around me it was around 10k. Then they do the ducts. This think should be shipped over for the Riddler

Keith Tanner
4/25/21 11:09 a.m.

And people complain when they find out we charge money to install a completely different powertrain with 4x the power level :) Compared to a hot rod build, our cars were free.

The amount of forethought displayed in this build is staggering. A hole drilled five years ago turns out to have a logical purpose. We've seen this over and over again as they do the dry build and again as they assemble. We all respect Bad Obsession's bracket ability, but those of us who have done this sort of work are in awe of how thought out the whole thing is. Nick has an amazing blueprint in his head of exactly how it will all work, and I assume there are reams of documentation off-camera to make sure nothing gets overlooked.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
4/25/21 2:59 p.m.

Carpet info. Also, Richard's line in the episode was hilarious. 

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/2057/hi-flex-lining-carpet-black

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/25/21 3:16 p.m.

I enjoyed the last bit where Richard opens the box of wiring and says, "Oh, E36 M3."

I'm waiting for the part where they have to take something apart to put that thing they forgot, or deciding how to retain that thing they forgot to mount in the pre-build.

The hours and hours of video might be the most helpful part of the whole assembly  ordeal.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/25/21 7:18 p.m.

I'm a little sad that it's so near completion. Three or four more episodes may be all we get. Of course, they have some other good projects and content coming. That truck is pretty rad. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/21 7:48 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

I'm a little sad that it's so near completion. Three or four more episodes may be all we get.

I kind of doubt that.  They still have a long road ahead, although as pointed out, they did a LOT of pre-work so that final assembly should go smoothly.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/21 8:39 p.m.

I am surpised no mat went on the roof...or are they going to address that later on.

But yeah usually 25-35% panel coverage is all thats needed with diminishing returns going beyond that.  At least with the stuff I use (makes dynamat look cheap)

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/21 9:04 p.m.

I'm loving it.  But, at the rate they are going, they may be too old to drive it by the time they are done.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/26/21 6:16 a.m.
eastpark said:

Carpet info. Also, Richard's line in the episode was hilarious. 

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/2057/hi-flex-lining-carpet-black

From that link: "Not suitable for heavy wear areas (footwells) but ideal for e.g. side walls".  It did look kind of flimsy to me, but to be fair they didn't put it on the floorboards.  I'd still be concerned about it wearing rapidly from incidental contact.

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
4/26/21 7:11 a.m.

so many jokes

"Overkill, which is my 2nd favourile kind of kill"  

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
4/26/21 7:11 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

they really need a 3d printer

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/21 9:44 a.m.

They'd be good at homebuilt aircraft.  There's the piece you screw up, theres the piece you perfect, then theres the piece that goes on the airplane. You built it three times by the time you fly it.

Keith Tanner
4/26/21 11:05 a.m.
Rigante said:

The fender flares are printed.  But printer people forget just effective good fabrication is, especially if you only want one of something. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
4/26/21 11:15 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Rigante said:

The fender flares are printed.  But printer people forget just effective good fabrication is, especially if you only want one of something. 

For as ridiculous as I imagine it was to build those hvac ducts, I can't imagine modeling them in CAD and then printing them would have taken any less time or effort, just a different kind of effort. Maybe if they also had a decent 3D scanner.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/26/21 11:21 a.m.
dps214 said:
Keith Tanner said:
Rigante said:

For as ridiculous as I imagine it was to build those hvac ducts, I can't imagine modeling them in CAD and then printing them would have taken any less time or effort, just a different kind of effort. Maybe if they also had a decent 3D scanner.

If the aluminum ones are a bit wrong, you can hit them with a hammer.  I'm guessing the printed ones would be less amenable to that.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/26/21 11:27 a.m.

The 3D printed fender flares were tons of hours and done in Spain , 

Agree the heater vents could have been done 3D printed but you really would need the car close-by as everything was modified compared to measuring a stock Mini ( in Spain)

I hope one day 3D scanners and software will be good enough to just scan what you want and press PRINT and off it goes , 

We are a long way from that now !

I wonder what they will do with Binky when finished ?  It is too nice to run it offroad , 

If its done by Christmas  I would be amazed !

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4EEqwfT1ZWQOYWCCUJc0YIsPYQwzkpWAHYXlyXEowStcqmBOpa8CBvKDeuOnuLgH