1 2
The2ndSonofToyman
The2ndSonofToyman
8/10/22 7:20 p.m.

Hey, this is Toyman!s son. Im new to the forum. Im currently looking for a 1984-1989 mk1 Toyota Mr2 as dream car. Im looking for one that is most, if not completely stock. I dont mind doing some work, but I am not looking for a project.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/10/22 7:27 p.m.
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/10/22 7:37 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Welcome.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/marysville-1983-supra-celica/7516052913.html

Nice! Toyman's son just got upgraded to a Supra, lol. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/10/22 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Crap.  I read Supra for some reason.

Oh well, still a good craigslist link

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/10/22 7:49 p.m.

In reply to The2ndSonofToyman :

Do you also live near Charleston, SC? There are some real good treasure hunters around here that can find you a car. 

The2ndSonofToyman
The2ndSonofToyman New Reader
8/10/22 7:50 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Do you also live near Charleston, SC? There are some real good treasure hunters around here that can find you a car. 

I still live in Charleston SC

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
8/10/22 8:03 p.m.

Welcome. MR2 might be the dream as you start your GRM membership. Within 3 months, your garage will include a Maserati biturbo, tow van of some sort, miata, and a old jaguar. Better make some space at the folks home.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/10/22 8:14 p.m.

Welcome......you poor soul it only gets worse from here.

The2ndSonofToyman
8/10/22 8:27 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Welcome. MR2 might be the dream as you start your GRM membership. Within 3 months, your garage will include a Maserati biturbo, tow van of some sort, miata, and a old jaguar. Better make some space at the folks home.

Oh no, don't get me wrong the MR2 is only the baby of the dream, I want a 1970 Chevelle SS. The dream truck is a 1997 Ford F-250 Powerstroke. I already have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ there are others but these are the big 4

The2ndSonofToyman
8/10/22 8:28 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Welcome......you poor soul it only gets worse from here.

That's the plan.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/10/22 9:08 p.m.

Welcome #2!  

For you others here thinking #2 is new to this affliction...he is the product of parents who both have the affliction.  He's learned from a few of the finest.  

As for the AW11, I loved my '88 MR2 SC that I bought in 2000.  I sold it in 2004 (or 18 years ago) and at the time the car was 16 years old.  The SC was pretty rare with only about 1,000 made per year for two years (2000 total.)  The drive axle half shafts were unique to the SC and we getting hard to buy back then.  Must be really hard now.   All AW11's are now 33 to 37 years old.  

Where I am going with all this is, instead of a AW11, get a W30, the MR2 Spyder.  

Why?  The oldest W30 is 22 years old so plenty old but still very much available in every condition from mint to rough.  In 5 years W30's will be untouchable.  Now is the time to get one if you want to ever try one.  The W30 is a good reinterpretation of the AW11.  If you hate the convertible, spend the long dollar for a hardtop.  Even after spending too much for a hardtop, you'll still have a better car for the money than an expensive and rough AW11.  

real samples:

$11k

$9k

$5.5k

$5k

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/10/22 9:17 p.m.

Welcome. I always like your pops posts. Very cool dude!

I hope you enjoy it here!

The2ndSonofToyman
8/10/22 9:26 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I've always loved the Mk1 I think they look so much better then the mk2 or mk3 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/22 9:44 p.m.

Can't argue with that. And he's right :) Mk3 is light and nimble but looks like a Pokémon. Mk1 is a classic design. Slower, but classic. 

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/10/22 9:55 p.m.

Welcome.

My first forum name was "StansMR2". Waaaay back when there were  only three sub-forums.  Still missing my '87 after all the years and make sure you find the least rusty one you can.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/11/22 8:26 a.m.

Okay, I get the AW11-love!  

Some thoughts and experiences...

I am 6'1" and generally the MR2 was a tight fit.  For '85&'86 the factory steering wheel is the largest and a bit too large(I think 15").  For '87-'89 the steering wheel became slightly smaller(I think 14.5".)  For my '88 I went to a 13.5" aftermarket wheel.  

The '85&'86 have the parking brake handle on the US-driver's side and the handle can be a little intrusive for leg room.  For '87-'89 that parking brake handle was moved to the US-passenger side which is better for driver's leg room.  

The '85&'86 have no accommodation for additional speakers in the C-pillar area meaning door and dash speakers only.  For '87+ the plastic interior trim was changed to allow for C-pillar speakers.  The retro fit is as easy as getting the interior c-pillar trim from a '87+ car and installing it into the earlier model cars.  

Slick top cars are the best (and rarest.)  The most popular is sunroof but it takes away some headroom/helmetroom.  The t-tops give back a slight bit of headroom and is what I had since all SCs came with t-tops.  The t-tops are notoriously bad for leaking.  Be sure to keep the drains cleaned.  With the t-tops removed the ride is not that pleasant since so much air gets into the cabin and so little gets out.  Lots of buffeting and lots of wind turbulance/noise.   Hard top is the best choice if you can find one, rather rare.    

Slick tops got no front strut bar connecting the two strut towers. Sunroof cars got a thinner and curved  strut bar that was curved to double serve as glass panel storage. T-top cars got a beefy, straight strut tower brace to accommodate for the missing roof structure.  Net result, if you find a slick top, get a strut bar from a t-top car for an easy, bolt on upgrade for stiffness. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 9:48 a.m.

I keep trying to talk him into something bigger. I don't fit in an MR2. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/22 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I think you just identified the reason he wants one.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 3:52 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I keep trying to talk him into something bigger. I don't want him rawtiming me at autocross. 

Fixed 

The2ndSonofToyman
8/11/22 5:42 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:
Toyman! said:

I keep trying to talk him into something bigger. I don't want him rawtiming me at autocross. 

Fixed 

The only thing an MR2 would beat would be the Cherokee and the Samurai.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 9:55 p.m.
The2ndSonofToyman said:

Im currently looking for a 1984-1989 mk1 Toyota Mr2 as dream car.

#raisedcorrectly

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 10:05 p.m.

You'd be surprised how they compare around an autocross course when compared to a G35. A G35 will run circles around it on a track, but in an autocross, the MR-S will often beat even a purpose focused modified G35. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
8/11/22 11:29 p.m.
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/22 12:19 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

You'd be surprised how they compare around an autocross course when compared to a G35. A G35 will run circles around it on a track, but in an autocross, the MR-S will often beat even a purpose focused modified G35. 

But then I'd have to dig out the Abomination and show him who is really boss. laugh

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/22 1:58 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xg2J1GcqEXF1p05zKTk3fzedWebfFWdpWueU8ZP4C6zgwvIuAO9IBud3Lm5oJbRU