1 2 3
Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/5/15 11:59 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
pav5069 wrote: ugh looks like top gear is STILL going to suck :(
Fixed. I never understood the fascination.

It was great... for a while. Then it was good. In the last few years it was really trending towards meh. It's actually kind of a shame this happened now, because this season was just starting to show signs of getting back toward something like what it was in its heyday.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/5/15 12:29 p.m.

I'm with JYD. Am I the only one who has no idea of who these three new guys are?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/15 12:47 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I'm with JYD. Am I the only one who has no idea of who these three new guys are?

I get the impression they are reasonably well known in Britain. Bearing in mind, while we mainly know Clarkson, May and Hammond from Top Gear, I understand all (except maybe May) had TV careers prior to Top Gear.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/5/15 12:51 p.m.

Guy Martin gained fame as a motorcycle racer - he competes at the Isle of Man - and has hosted several shows on the BBC. I watched one on Youtube about the resurrection of a WWII Spitfire fighter plane that was pretty good. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4349757/

Philip Glenister has acted in a bunch of UK television programs, and was the host of show on the BBC named For the Love of Cars. You can find it on Youtube as well. For some reason that show isn't mentioned in his IMDB entry. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322562/

I hadn't heard of Jodie Kidd before, but she's a model and celebrity. She's also interested in motorsports, and at one time held the record for the fastest lap as a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/5/15 1:15 p.m.

Is Jodie Kidd that really tall blonde that Jeremy was so smitten with?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/15 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Yep.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/5/15 1:23 p.m.

Last night, I decided that Roadkill is really the new Top Gear. The BBC should just hire Freiburger and Finnegan.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/15 1:24 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Is Jodie Kidd that really tall blonde that Jeremy was so smitten with?

I only recall his obsessions with Kyra Knightly and Cameron Diaz.

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
5/5/15 1:26 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Last night, I decided that Roadkill is really the new Top Gear. The BBC should just hire Freiburger and Finnegan.

100% this. The lowrider offroad episode was great, but nothing tops the C4 Corvette buggy. Such a great show with reasonable premises and two guys that enjoy what they're doing and each other. Why is that so hard?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/15 1:35 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Last night, I decided that Roadkill is really the new Top Gear. The BBC should just hire Freiburger and Finnegan.

Eh. I've watched 4-5 episodes of Roadkill and it's fine, but nothing special, IMO.

He seemed to get all awkward-flirty with pretty much every reasonably attractive female guest to me.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
5/5/15 1:42 p.m.

Jodie Kidd was in Clarkson's documentary Clarkson:Thriller

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/5/15 1:42 p.m.

Roadkill is fun to watch, but it's a totally different premise. I don't think the BBC would go for a complete change from road testing exotic sports cars in exotic countries, to beating up old beaters in the desert.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/15 1:43 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Eh. I've watched 4-5 episodes of Roadkill and it's fine, but nothing special, IMO.
He seemed to get all awkward-flirty with pretty much every reasonably attractive female guest to me.

But he made references to Knightly and Diaz often throughout the series.

I agree Roadkill is entertaining, but it's not Top Gear.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/15 1:59 p.m.

To me, regardless of how it compared to early years, Top Gear was still one of the most entertaining show on TV and the one I most looked forward to watching. I am saddened by the loss of the current presenters and acknowledge that the show will never be the same again.

And I feel bad for the new hosts because I am sure they are all good people and will do their level best, but people will hate them for no other reason than they are not James, Jeremy and Richard. I'll certainly give them a chance, but I have a feeling it will be like Grey's Anatomy. Do you know that show is still on? Completely different people than when it aired 10 years ago but somehow still plugging along. Or the original CSI...it's been on 15 years and must be finding some audience each week but seriously, who are all these people? Didn't that girl leave the show? Why is Sam Malone in charge?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/5/15 2:45 p.m.

See, to me, Roadkill has all the best of Top Gear. It has the entertaining weird car builds, excellent challenges, and good chemistry between hosts who are genuinely passionate about cars.

I get pretty sick of the endless footage of exotics sliding around the test track on Top Gear, and I don't really care what Clarkson thinks of some million-dollar luxo-rocket that no one will ever buy.

I like Top Gear, but as a lot of people have said, it was getting pretty payed out.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/5/15 2:47 p.m.

I'll never buy an exotic car either, but I still like to look at them. Road tests of cars in my price range would be pretty boring.

D2W
D2W New Reader
5/5/15 4:22 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: I can understand Guy Martin. But only after copious amounts of alcohol.

For him or you?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/5/15 5:03 p.m.

The answer is yes.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/5/15 5:46 p.m.

I'll watch it, a year later when it hits netflix. I don't plan to spend the effort to watch it new each week using gray areas of the internet.

+1 on roadkill being a low buck "TG Challenges" that they actually do themselves.

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
5/5/15 5:53 p.m.

As others have written, to me the best part of TG were the challenges, especially the cheap car challenges of the early years. They're the kind of things that regular car people could replicate but often don't take the time to - so they hit home and you can relate to them.

I'm all for sliding exotics around, but in strictly that segment Chris Harris does it better than the last couple of seasons of TG.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/5/15 5:53 p.m.
RossD wrote:
Woody wrote: "TV Personality" Guy Martin?
I hate when that happens.

I have been advocating for the STIG to take over the show, but this mid-air clown might have the qualifications!

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
5/5/15 8:04 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
pav5069 wrote: ugh looks like top gear isSTILL going to suck :(
Fixed. I never understood the fascination.

Yes I watch BBC shows since 6years old and into cars. On Top Gear I only liked the guests driving the ordinary car segment the rest was just useless. Like mythbusters mixed with Red Dwarf and Are you being served but done poorly.

wnick
wnick New Reader
5/5/15 8:06 p.m.

I agree. Freiburger and Finnegan have a great time and it is fun to watch. I thought TG was showing signs of life again until this happened. Now it is going to be like when the Partridge Family brought that strange little blond kid on. The death clock starts.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/5/15 8:39 p.m.

I must be an odd one, I like the content of roadkill, but the hosts do nothing for me. Very good at printed media, just not the video.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/15 8:52 p.m.

I watched the Roadkill with the low rider. Meh. It had some funny one liners but overall seemed kind of forced to me. Too much stupid for the sake of stupid.

Top Gear was pretty good at stupid too, but they did a better job of pulling it off. Shouting about awesome handling while sliding a car around turns is a joke in it self. I used to do that in a 78 Caprice. But, budget, cinematography and editing does pay off.

If the BBC tries to keep the TG format with all new presenters, they are fools. It has a very slim chance of being successful. Their entire audience will be saying, "If ----- were still here..." or, "----- would have done that so much..."

Best bet would be to shut it down. Get your new crew, a new name, a new idea, and start from scratch. Let the new people do their own show, the best they can, rather than a pale representation of what was. That door is closed, it's time to move on.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uAegMlI9fDRsQJkmdcaqX0XuBN0sZLJJB6YnBqOEm7yyyx4ajQ7LJGcRmDTjBcmu