Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/22 5:46 p.m.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2022/12/27/motorsports-gateway-howell-starts-construction/69748668007/

Motorsports Gateway Howell starts construction Jan. 9, according to a news release. The location is 1 mile from downtown Howell, and it fronts the north side of Interstate 96 and to the east of Highway D19.

Phase 1 of construction will include a 2.2-mile performance driving circuit, paddock, members clubhouse, track-fronting private garage condos and a public nature trail. Two additional phases include an automotive innovation park and a mixed-use entertainment zone.

Car enthusiasts won't have to wait too long to visit. The first section of the driving circuit is expected to be up and ready by summer.

This is literally less than 5 miles from my house, so I'm pretty pumped about it. That is, assuming they open it to other clubs that want to do track days. I'm not in the correct tax bracket to be buying one of those condos.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/28/22 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Cool!  Hope it can take some pressure off of Waterford Hills- so that the club members can use their track.

Don2001l
Don2001l New Reader
12/30/22 8:59 a.m.

I'm wondering if they will try to make it members only, to get more cash, or if it will be used for High performance driving schools, eg Porsche / BMW etc... SCCA events , Club lapping days ? 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/22 9:53 a.m.

Could be in the top 5 closest tracks to me, hopefully won't go members-only...

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/23 1:10 p.m.

I'm on board with the idea, just hope there are plenty of driving events open to the public or outside clubs in some fashion.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/23 3:44 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm on board with the idea, just hope there are plenty of driving events open to the public or outside clubs in some fashion.

That's the million-dollar (pun intended) question, and one I haven't seen an answer for yet.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/1/23 4:52 p.m.

I know the builders of the track (former owners of JD Karting in Novi). I'm hoping they are successful.  M1 Concourse in Pontiac has been busy so far and are continuing their expansion with more commercial buildings. I just hope the market isn't saturated. They are at least trying to make this a true race track unlike M1 which is a "test track", no competitions allowed.

My one prediction (fear) is cars are going the way of the horse. In the future (20+ years though), you'll only be able to drive yourself at places like this.  

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/23 5:48 p.m.

...and just like horses, cars will be playthings for the very rich.☹️

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pGa1uQWFI5RLAlIWbTYMR0hPEbt5zNcm6pXUFznh1hxxV2e3ljtwKSROnZDPaTYO