1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/12/23 3:44 p.m.
feature_image

January 13 at 10:00 a.m. JST (January 12 at 8:00 p.m. EST) Nissan is set to unveil a new GT-R.

Not much is detailed in the title or description of the livestream, but it’s likely the “latest representation of ultimate driving pleasure” will only be available for the Japanese market–at least for a while.

On a scale from “a slightly updated …

Read the rest of the story

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/12/23 3:48 p.m.

Hybrid?

Autotragic?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/12/23 3:55 p.m.

I predict new infotainment and a fresh paint color on the same 20? year old chassis.cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/12/23 3:57 p.m.

Some updated body panels and 35 more hp is my guess.  

Just like the new Z is essentially a 350Z with new bodywork and an Infiniti Q60 engine. And the really sad part, they put in a twin-turbo V6 that only makes 50 hp more than the 370Z Nismo. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/12/23 4:05 p.m.

From the teaser pics, it looks like another iteration of the R35 chassis. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/12/23 4:09 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I predict new infotainment and a fresh paint color on the same 20? year old chassis.cheeky

More purple? 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2021-nissan-gt-r-3/

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/23 6:03 p.m.

Nope.  Nissan is going to be releasing brand new R34s but as kits to get around all the various laws.

Ok, maybe not.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/12/23 7:28 p.m.

Hopefully it's not a GTR Crossover.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/23 7:36 p.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:

They're already big enough to be most of the way there.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/12/23 7:53 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm just imagining the elevated seating position, plastic cladding on the fenders and one of their CVTs paired to it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/23 8:33 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Hybrid?

Autotragic?

Fugly?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/12/23 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I figured, that was a given smiley

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/23 8:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm just imagining the elevated seating position, plastic cladding on the fenders and one of their CVTs paired to it.

GTR Outback. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/23 8:46 p.m.

Looks evolutionary. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/23 8:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

So basically an R35 with a transmission that would be more reliable, were it not Nissan making the CVT.

....man, who whizzed in my Wheaties today?  I'm going to blame weather shift and intense sinus headache.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/12/23 9:11 p.m.

yawn. Same power

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/12/23 9:11 p.m.

And here's the official release:

YOKOHAMA, Japan – Nissan today unveiled the new Japan-market GT-R, including two special editions, the Nissan GT-R Premium edition T-spec, and Nissan GT-R NISMO Special edition. The 2024 models are planned to hit the market in the coming spring and will be joined by the NISMO versions, planned to go on sale in summer.

With “evolving toward ultimate driving pleasure” as its product concept, the Nissan GT-R continues to enhance its status as a premium sports car. The new models represent the next level of balance between speed and ride quality. "Fronted with a new grille design, cutting-edge technologies and craftsmanship, the new models are the pinnacle of the GT-R R35," said Nissan COO Ashwani Gupta.

The models feature improved aerodynamics and a refined ride quality. While maintaining horsepower, noise and vibration have been reduced and the sound carefully tuned to enhance onboard comfort.

T-spec represents the GT-R’s philosophy of leading and shaping the times and is inspired by the words trend and traction. The GT-R T-spec has been created to always be ahead of the times and to drive with robust grip. The Nissan GT-R Premium edition T-spec is now equipped with specially set suspension and carbon disc brakes, delivering the pleasure of a smooth ride and responsive handling.

The Nissan GT-R NISMO maximizes the use of racing technologies. By refining aerodynamic performance, suspension tuning, and adding a mechanical limited-slip differential to the front final drive, this is the highest-performance GT-R ever. The exclusive Recaro carbon back bucket seats have been refreshed for enhanced drive quality, providing a unified feel with the car and increased comfort. The Nissan GT-R NISMO Special edition uses high-precision weight-balanced engine parts, such as piston rings, connecting rods, crankshaft, and a clear-coated NISMO-exclusive carbon engine hood (with NACA ducts).

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/12/23 10:17 p.m.

All I'm seeing is a new bumper and some boring (new?) colors... I don't feel like we're missing out on much here.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/12/23 10:24 p.m.

I've been a Nissan fan since Jimmy Carter was in office but for this money I'd buy a lower end C8 Corvette and bank the rest for hotel rooms as I hoon around North America.

Or buy a newer Porsche instead.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/12/23 10:42 p.m.

Wow, I'm not surprised but it's still amazing that they're selling the same car they launched in 2007. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/12/23 10:46 p.m.

14-15 yesr life spans - NSX, 200 series Land Cruisers - now GTR

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/12/23 10:54 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Just like the new Z is essentially a 350Z with new bodywork and an Infiniti Q60 engine. And the really sad part, they put in a twin-turbo V6 that only makes 50 hp more than the 370Z Nismo. 

A twin turbo 276 hp Z32 only made 50 more hp than the 222 NA version. And while the NA version is useless to make more power, a boost controller and a fuel pump on the twin turbo and you're making good more power.

I don't even know why people quote disappointing stock turbocharged power numbers. It's a tune away from way more than that.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/12/23 11:21 p.m.

110-115K for a standard GTR with premium package actually still seems like a good deal. 210K for the special editions and they can blow it out their noses. Cannot believe I am even saying that the base is a good deal but its still a heck of a lot of car for the money. 

This is is sub base 911 coupe money with even the smallest option list you could live with. I am not sure what makes it better then a 3LT C8 at MSRP and slightly used there are a million things I would rather have. 

Now in GTR purple with white leather interior at the premium interior, bronze wheels, and GTR base price and I would be really tempted.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/12/23 11:25 p.m.

115k for a Nissan seems like a good deal.....  wow.  I can remember my dad saying he'd never pay more than $7000 for a car when the RX-7 hit US shores when I was a kid.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/12/23 11:25 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

A twin turbo 276 hp Z32 only made 50 more hp than the 222 NA version. And while the NA version is useless to make more power, a boost controller and a fuel pump on the twin turbo and you're making good more power.

I don't even know why people quote disappointing stock turbocharged power numbers. It's a tune away from way more than that.

Nope, they were 300+. The 276 was something they did in Japan as a "gentleman's agreement." This has been well known for a couple of decades. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15131963/japan-dumps-276-hp-pact-car-news/

As for being a "tune away," sure but then you've just ensured that every powertrain warranty claim will be denied.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NBfx6bJfvRHfhGmHTbrdbtd4PZmIaI1jDI8Kt44sttNTvoT7BgRpb8KXREUBXlFT