DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/21/20 11:27 a.m.

S2000s seem to be having somewhat of a resurgence in the used car market. the example i own is a 2005 with 130k on the clock, Sebring Silver, and black/red interior. 

It was in an accident very early on in it's life with only 3 digits still on the odometer which most definately affects resale value no matter how clean the car is. 

the clearcoat is cracking and chipping in typical Honda single stage fashion for a car of this vintage. the interior is absolutely mint. I found a wrecked S2000 of the same color scheme that only had like 30k miles on it and grabbed every last piece I could (seats, carpet, knobs, push pins, steering wheel, etc.) and swapped it into my car. the only piece missing is some wierd rubber trim that goes around the shifter on the console. 

Anyways - even with the market on these car rising, I've had a difficult time trying to sell this car in the past because of the accident listed on the carfax. I like to be transparent with people because it sucks buying a car and finding that E36 M3 out later. I decided last year I'm going to keep this car for a long time because I just love it so much. It always puts a smile on my face when I drive it and my daughters have the same sentiment. 

Bottom line: Do I keep restoring a car that will always take a hit in the market because of an accident or do I turn this into a full on track car? I've been looking for a second S2000 to track but they are pulling a premium at the moment even in the wrost of conditions if they have a clean carfax/title. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/20 11:43 a.m.

Almost sounds like yours is a better candidate for becoming a track car than mine with half the miles. I'm actually in the same quandary, although mine has a clear Carfax. They're certainly going up in price.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/21/20 11:54 a.m.

Are you considering it an investment?  The accident will prevent top dollar for sure, but as the inventory shrinks, the value will still go up.

If that is your intention, then perhaps take the hit and replace it with a clean-title car?

Building a track car is not an investment choice.  

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/21/20 11:56 a.m.

Do what makes you happy.  It is a car, it is never going to be a big $ collectible, you bought it to drive it and like it and will have it for a while, so just keep doing what makes you happy when you use it.  

I'm having to get over the same thing with my NSX now, very similar situation, but I have no interest in selling, but as I sold my AMG to trim the fleet and free up $ for an e400 wagon for my wife, I've decided that I should not care about miles on the NSX and drive it because it makes me happy. I have the truck for crappy days.  

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/20 12:23 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

Bottom line: Do I keep restoring a car that will always take a hit in the market because of an accident or do I turn this into a full on track car? I've been looking for a second S2000 to track but they are pulling a premium at the moment even in the wrost of conditions if they have a clean carfax/title. 

Are you doing this because you enjoy the car, or are you trying to mak money off of it? If you enjoy the car, and enjoy having a nice looking car, do the work for your enjoyment. Don't worry about the resale. The car already has accident damage and will never be an investment. If that bothers you, sell it and get one that is. Personally, I like having cars that have issues or prior damage because I am not worried about keeping them pristine as an investment. I keep them clean and maintained, but don't worry about driving the snot out of them or the odd parking lot scratch or chipped wheel. If my cars were pristine investment quality, I would be afraid to drive them and that would be a shame. There is a happy medium between pristine investment and full on track rat where most of us live and still find enjoyment.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/20 3:23 p.m.

Spend time, money and energy making the car something you want to drive. 

Focus on not making it more racecar than you can tolerate on a high use basis. 

The nicer your racecar is, The more it can do. This was something it took me a few years to figure out. Mazdeuce really drilled this home as we prepped the Traccord for One Lap. It is something that I heavily consider now for my vehicles. 

If you take interior plastics out. Consider adding more soft sound deadening materials to absorb noise and heat. They make a huge difference. 

Your car is beyond collector mileage as others have said, and the more you can use it. The harder it will be to justify selling it. 

It's easy to sell cars you don't drive often. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/22/20 5:48 p.m.

You guys are completely right on all fronts. 

I think I'm gonna go the trackcar route. Possibly SCCA, NASA, or 2nd Champcar. I'm just at this praxis in how I've been restoring it where it's going to cost a lot more money to get it back to perfectly stock mint shape (paint, wheels need to be restored, headlights, front bumper, and the top is in great shape) or cost a lot to get it ready to race. It's a great HPDE/AutoX car in current form it just looks like poop with all the blemishes. 

My other idea for another track car/race car is an Odyssey van thanks to Honda Manufacturing of Alabama and their rad van.  

_
_ Dork
2/22/20 6:05 p.m.

If you turn it into a track car, when you go to sell it you will have the right type of buyers. People who are buying a track car generally don't care if it has been wrecked, as long as it is in working, Straight shape.

One of the many benefits of making it a track car is that you attract the demographic that doesn't care as much and has knowledge beyond the average douche. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/22/20 7:27 p.m.

Barchetta! 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/22/20 7:28 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/22/20 7:28 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/22/20 7:29 p.m.

BoxheadTim
2/22/20 7:40 p.m.

IIRC as an 05 you should still be able to use the factory rollover protection for SCCA HPDE and the entry level time trials classes. Well, unless you take a sawzall to the windshield frame, obviously.

For proper track use you shouldn't need much more than stock brakes with good pads, suspension, sticky tires, a more suitable seat and maybe an oil cooler depending on where in the country you are. Which, funnily enough, is most of the shopping list I have for my car.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
2/22/20 9:46 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

You guys are completely right on all fronts. 

I think I'm gonna go the trackcar route. Possibly SCCA, NASA, or 2nd Champcar. I'm just at this praxis in how I've been restoring it where it's going to cost a lot more money to get it back to perfectly stock mint shape (paint, wheels need to be restored, headlights, front bumper, and the top is in great shape) or cost a lot to get it ready to race. It's a great HPDE/AutoX car in current form it just looks like poop with all the blemishes. 

My other idea for another track car/race car is an Odyssey van thanks to Honda Manufacturing of Alabama and their rad van.  

I love watching that Odyssesy beat up on cars half it's size on track.  It's makes some great noises too.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/23/20 8:16 a.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/23/20 10:29 a.m.

Just checked 06-09 S2000 values and cried because I didn't buy one 7 years ago when I thought the prices were too high.

BoxheadTim
2/23/20 10:38 a.m.

The 04-05 values are a little bit lower, so unless you're planning mods that require you to be able to remap the ECU, those may be worth considering as well.

If you need one that can have the ECU remapped, it's possible to do so for the earlier ones as well but you'll need a replacement ECU and IIRC some different sensors as well.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/20 10:39 a.m.

There are a bunch of us who feel the same way..... 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/23/20 1:27 p.m.

Boy I sure love me some hybrid track/street car.

Where I come from - the 4x4 world- you get a lot of respect driving to the trail, crawling over insane obstacles and then airing up and driving back home.

I think you should make it a car that puts a smile on your face on the way to the track, at the track and on the way home again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0UFiA63oKe7SYSiJiQnaRg9wwRcfzvbP02lBOIGscEAyPI2iesnVSb8KmJNwAgfH