ummm....

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2274656350.html

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/19/11 7:02 p.m.

calteg
calteg New Reader
3/19/11 7:06 p.m.

...and here I was praying the sky-d engine would make its way into the next miata. Well played New Jersey, well played.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
3/19/11 7:08 p.m.

Good city car

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
3/19/11 7:09 p.m.

Sad thing is, my state has no emissions tests. I'd have no problems with that car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/19/11 7:15 p.m.

What in the...

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/19/11 7:26 p.m.

All that for only 45 MPG? Should have put it in something with better aerodynamics.

David

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
3/19/11 7:27 p.m.

I wonder what a VW 1.9 tdi swap would be like in that Miata instead.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
3/19/11 7:43 p.m.

Yanmar block? Hmm, well, it it is, then it's basically the three cylinder marine engine, which means it's built for a turbo, so you could just about double its hp, and still have a slow car. Unique, but, slow. And, mileage would dive....the VW swap would be interesting.

Does any state test diesel emissions on vehicles older than a couple of years? Edit: forgot about CA. They have to have some kind of test...

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/19/11 8:21 p.m.

The problem here is that the Miata was never sold with a diesel engine, so it will be held to gasoline engine emission standards, which it will fail with diesel power.

No emissions testing where I live in Maine, but I agree, if you're going to go diesel then use something with a bit more oomph like a TDI. And a Miata doesn't have much room for a Greasecar.com style waste vegetable oil conversion. You can fit a small WVO tank in the trunk at the expense of... well, the entire trunk.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 10:07 p.m.

How many Torques (to quote Jeremy Clarkson ) does the Yanmar / Isuzu make ?

EvanR
EvanR Reader
3/20/11 2:30 a.m.
triumph5 wrote: Does any state test diesel emissions on vehicles older than a couple of years?

For the record, the counties around Reno and Las Vegas, NV test ALL passenger cars and light trucks, gas or Diesel, back to 1968.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
3/20/11 7:36 a.m.

I saw an MGB several years ago which had a normally aspirated Kubota 4 cyl diesel. Like this setup, it was slow but got fantastic mileage, the guy claimed he filled it up once a month.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
3/20/11 7:36 a.m.

That swap has been done a few times in Metros.

My buddy has a twin turbo LS motor in his Miata. I think I like his swap better

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/11 8:54 a.m.

So where is the Miata with the MB 300D motor that was on here a while back? I wanted to purchase that so bad when it come up for sale but cash flow just would not allow it. Was it finished? I want dibs on that if it ever comes up for sale again.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/20/11 9:19 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: So where is the Miata with the MB 300D motor that was on here a while back? I wanted to purchase that so bad when it come up for sale but cash flow just would not allow it. Was it finished? I want dibs on that if it ever comes up for sale again.

SVReX has/had it. Not sure if he still does. An email would answer your question.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
3/20/11 10:30 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: All that for only 45 MPG? Should have put it in something with better aerodynamics. David

Exactly what I was thinking. I get mid 30s mpg in my Miata and it's still fun to drive and it doesn't have a 0-60 time of 2 minutes.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/20/11 10:34 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I wonder what a VW 1.9 tdi swap would be like in that Miata instead.

I'll bet it would do mid-50mpg

26hp?! No fun.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD New Reader
3/20/11 3:06 p.m.

I bet a Festiva 1.3 w/ a small turbo, in that car, would have a good chance of getting into the 40s on the highway, and it would still be as fast as the stock miata.

moTthediesel
moTthediesel New Reader
3/20/11 3:52 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD:

I have to say, as a diesel swapper myself, that's not very impressive

I just got back from an 8600 mile, 30 day, coast to coast trip in my 356 TD. My car has a 1.6L VW TD engine, and got 57 mpg for the trip, with a lot of those miles at 75 mph. (I did a trip blog for family and fiends, if you're interested, you can view it here:http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/vonbondo/ )

The engine in my car is "massaged" with a modded pump, injectors, a VNT15 turbo, and a 944 turbo intercooler. It makes about 110 HP and 160 ft/lbs, not crazy powerful, but more than the original air cooled gasser ever made -- it's fast enough to be fun.

In short -- sorry, but 26 HP/45 mpg just stinks out loud --

Tom

pres589
pres589 Dork
3/20/11 4:04 p.m.

moT: Tell us more about the 356! Is it a replica or a real 356, what transaxle, etc etc.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/20/11 4:07 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
dean1484 wrote: So where is the Miata with the MB 300D motor that was on here a while back? I wanted to purchase that so bad when it come up for sale but cash flow just would not allow it. Was it finished? I want dibs on that if it ever comes up for sale again.
SVReX has/had it. Not sure if he still does. An email would answer your question.

Still have it. Never finished. Want it?

moTthediesel
moTthediesel New Reader
3/20/11 4:19 p.m.
pres589 wrote: moT: Tell us more about the 356! Is it a replica or a real 356, what transaxle, etc etc.

It's a "real" 356, though I've replaced an awful lot of the German steel in the 36 years that I've owned it.

I'm now using a type 1 VW gearbox that I got from Rancho. It has very tall gears, with a 3:40 r&p and a .7 4th.

I don't have a build thread, but I did write an article for the 356 Registry Magazine about the car. I scanned it and posted it on my Picasa page, you can see it here: https://picasaweb.google.com/106656261021789066852/356RegistryArticle#

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
3/20/11 5:01 p.m.
moTthediesel wrote:
pres589 wrote: moT: Tell us more about the 356! Is it a replica or a real 356, what transaxle, etc etc.
It's a "real" 356, though I've replaced an awful lot of the German steel in the 36 years that I've owned it. I'm now using a type 1 VW gearbox that I got from Rancho. It has very tall gears, with a 3:40 r&p and a .7 4th. I don't have a build thread, but I did write an article for the 356 Registry Magazine about the car. I scanned it and posted it on my Picasa page, you can see it here: https://picasaweb.google.com/106656261021789066852/356RegistryArticle#

That is a great story!

integraguy
integraguy Dork
3/20/11 6:15 p.m.

Ironically, Mazda sold a diesel engine to Ford (not sure if it was ever used in the old "B" series truck or not) that would have been a nicer swap and would have had double the horsepower of the Yanmar before a turbo is added.

I would think that after spending all that time/money on the swap, I would start looking for ways to cut weight out of this car....like maybe a lighter hood and trunk lid? Heck, even lighter wheels would help.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZXAO1XMNsxkKbZRHRlZIsiaVlgPPOipAaB9ZpRM84R48XNHxmwx2Aets1AdEA3Ph