Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
2/16/17 6:46 a.m.

My wife's lovely Honda decided to throw a CEL on Valentines Day. I know local part stores will loan you a code reader to pull so you can start diagnosing, but I've done that for years. I'm wondering what you guys think is the best solution for reasonable money? I've seen cheap readers at Sears, but they won't be around long. I presume Harbor Freight has something. I've seen some bluetooth thing that syncs with android. My main experience is with the vintage snap on red bricks, and I'm not going there.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/17 6:49 a.m.

If you own a smartphone, I highly recommend a $12-15 bluetooth ELM325 from amazon, and the Torque app on your phone. I've been using it for years, it's great. I think I have 3 or 4 adapters at this point, because for the price, I've ended up tossing one in the race bag, the old minivan which has a issue every few months (and inevitably 300 miles away), got one as a gift, etc.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
2/16/17 7:12 a.m.

There are a few options and it really matters what you're looking for in a scan tool. The Torque app is pretty cool, and you can't beat the price. If you want a specifically a scan tool and your previous reference was a brick I think you'll be happily surprised at newer offerings. I have personally used innova, bosch, and autel. They have everything from $50 code reader to $1K + systems that are almost OE quality. They all worked as advertised. Some could graph data, some could read live data, some could only give you a code.

I would recommend going to your local parts house and trying out what they have. My local parts guy had more than one kind behind the counter. If you like one snap a pic of the part # and shop around. Sometimes Amazon is the way to go and sometimes the parts guy standing right in front of you has the best deal.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/16/17 7:44 a.m.

anything available for OBDI ? (1995 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon)

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/16/17 8:05 a.m.

For everything that hptuners won't scan, I have the HF $99 scanner.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
2/16/17 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy:

Yeah I know innova and autel have OBD1 capable scanners. Just remember with OBD1 you'll have to have the correct plug adapter for your car. The diagnostic port was part of OBDII standarization.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
2/16/17 9:58 a.m.

I just bought a bosch unit, $100 from O'Reilly's, does live reads, has some long list of things it'll check, etc... I probably bought more capability than I'll ever use, but it was pretty nifty. You could probably spend half that and be well enough off.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/16/17 10:05 a.m.

The prices vary so widely on these things it's hard to make recommendations. If you just want a cheap scanner to read and reset CEL codes I have had good luck with cheap scanners in the $20-$25 range on Amazon. My buddy has one of the bluetooth scanners linked to his android phone (I think it's This one). That plus the torque app seems to be a really nice solution and has worked for both of our later model Saabs. I bought a stand alone unit because I wanted something I could just toss in my glovebox and not need to worry about phone app compatibility so I bought This Autel, though I swear it was $25 at the time. It also does the job with the Saabs, though it isn't quite a slick as the bluetooth/touchscreen setup due to the display limitations and the design requiring you scroll through menus.

The important point for me was the ability to clear the codes easily. I'm not sure all the tools on the market do that but both I have used work great for that.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
2/16/17 10:22 a.m.

boy, these responses seem to be all over the map. Almost seems like the mag should do some up to date reviews if others were needing this info.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/16/17 10:28 a.m.
Indy-Guy wrote: anything available for OBDI ? (1995 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon)

If that has the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) then you can build your own interface and run free software to read it. Google up Esprit Turbo ALDL. They used GM EFI from 89 to the end of the 4 cylinders.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/17 10:29 a.m.

One benefit I've seen with the Bluetooth dongle is some vehicle specific apps exist on top of torque.

Example: I found an app called FordSys, Ford specific. Read codes, doesn't have the real-time data of torque, but has Ford specific options like accessing abs system or body control modules which came in handy on my buddies 16 work van to turn on the front speakers.

There are a bunch of others available as well. I really wish tuners could be this easy to use and setup.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
2/16/17 10:33 a.m.
Indy-Guy wrote: anything available for OBDI ? (1995 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon)

Unfortunately 1994-95 LT1s are problem children. They are OBD1 but OBD1 scanners won't work and most OBD2 scanners won't either. HPtuners on a laptop with the correct connection cable should work. There are some dedicated sites out there that can help to figure it out.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
2/16/17 10:45 a.m.

I have the red $99ish one from HF. It works well and does what I need it to as well as any HF tool. On sale and with a coupon I think I paid $50 for it a couple years ago.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
2/16/17 4:31 p.m.

The free torque app and Bluetooth dongle are hard to beat. I just wish that it could read ABS codes too.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/16/17 4:38 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote:
Unfortunately 1994-95 LT1s are problem children. They are OBD1 but OBD1 scanners won't work and most OBD2 scanners won't either. HPtuners on a laptop with the correct connection cable should work. There are some dedicated sites out there that can help to figure it out.

Thanks for the Tip!
Any specific website recommendations?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
2/16/17 4:57 p.m.

To Indy-Guy, a google search (searched 1994-95 LT1 code scanner) returns quite a few results out there, but most are several years old. Link is a pretty good site for alot of stuff as well, can help you learn to turn your own efi there as well.

Another I found Link 2

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/17 7:01 p.m.

I have one of those cheap Autel ones from Amazon and it's been great. My 4Runner likes to throw the P0420 code for no reason so I keep that reader in the glovebox.

Torque is android only FYI.

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
2/16/17 8:43 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I have one of those cheap Autel ones from Amazon and it's been great. My 4Runner likes to throw the P0420 code for no reason so I keep that reader in the glovebox. Torque is android only FYI.

Try this

I also have a cheap autel and it works well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8p0bgtSvcJqDN5xMR9AZP8eaERnnjTMwxTYGXzxlW8T3ADdOG3YRmse0RorlzWDh