DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/20/22 11:09 a.m.

Not being a professional tech anymore, I just need something that allows me to do what I consider the basic stuff. I'd like to read and reset codes (engine, trans, abs, SRS), maybe change preferences (turn off dinging when the door opens, stuff like that) and the like. I want to do these things on North American, European, and Asian cars. I had a Snap On scanner and hated to buy modules for everything. Bi-directional would be awesome, but I don't expect that at this price range. 
Oh, and less than $200 would be bestest.
I was looking at Carly, but just want to know what others are using.

calteg
calteg Dork
1/20/22 11:11 a.m.

I seem to keep falling into Toyota/Lexus hybrids, recently it's been the Dr. Prius app with a generic bluetooth OBD reader

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/20/22 11:15 a.m.

I'm a former tech as well... I have a Launch CRP123, and it was the best value I could find ($300 Canadian) at the time. I believe the CRP129 is the newer version.

https://en.cnlaunch.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=10&Id=168&FId=t3:10:3

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/22 11:29 a.m.

My personal scantool is a Mac ET1205AN.  Cheap and fast and gives me some generic data.  No bidirectional controls or enhanced data, obviously, but it was $150.  If I need more than that I borrow a shop scan tool.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/22 11:30 a.m.

Torque Pro on my Android phone with a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle from Amazon.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/20/22 12:03 p.m.

I just picked this up Foxwell NT630 Plus

Needed a tool that could read ABS and airbag codes and reset steering angle sensors.  Was less than $150 on Bezos world, just saw them even cheaper on eBay.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/22 12:06 p.m.

I have Torque Pro and a bluetooth dongle for most stuff.

I have a obdeleven for the Audi and really love it for the VAG products!

Looking to get a Durametrics for the Porsche's.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/20/22 12:08 p.m.

Review of OBD2 BT adaptors from the Dr. Prius site.  The Panlong version works great for me with Dr.Prius and Torque Pro via Android.  

OBD2022
OBD2022 New Reader
5/11/22 3:33 a.m.

The best I use is Autel scanner

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/22 7:15 a.m.

I think the big thing is the reading abs and srs codes.  The cheap sub $100 ones won't do it from what I've seen.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/11/22 7:25 a.m.
OBD2022 said:

The best I use is Autel scanner

Will work on any OBD2 canoe

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/11/22 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

He may be a canoe, but I use the Autel scanner, and it's excellent. 

I came here expecting to see several recommendations for it. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/11/22 10:03 a.m.

I use an Autel at home, though I highly suspect the one I bought off eBay for DIRT cheap is a counterfeit. It works though.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
5/11/22 10:14 a.m.

Amazon has Autel scanners that claim to be "DIY" and only come with a license for a single car for around $100 with the ability to add additional cars for $10 each.  

I currently just have an old version of DashCmd with an ebay OBD scanner that also connects to track addict but next time I need an OBD-II scanner that is likely the one I would try out.  

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-Version-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B01N0QQZY7

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/22 10:22 a.m.

I use this Zurich ZR13 from the hammer store. It is alright. It can read a lot of subsystems which is nice but going from a Snap On with 2 way comms to this makes it suck. But being less than 10% of the cost is nice. When I need to do more I have better ones I can borrow.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/diagnostic-testing-scanning/zr13s-obd2-code-reader-with-abssrsfixassist-57666.html

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/30/22 10:32 a.m.

Bumping this thread because Father's Day.

I'd like to get a good OBD2 iPhone app and Bluetooth dongle. What are the current suggestions?

A number of people above suggested Torque Pro but the ratings for that on the App Store are abysmal, and someone even said it was Android only.

I would also appreciate dongle recommendations.

Thanks!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/30/22 11:34 a.m.

Random Chinese one I got from Curtis a few years ago during the GRMNYG. it has a fun button. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/18/23 6:28 a.m.

Bump

My AutoXray finally aged out after 25 years.  I needed OBD2 functions ABS and SRS plus new electric parking brake functions.

I went with a Foxwell NT 650 Elite, from Foxwell after 10% off $152.  No subscriptions and does what I need for now.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/21/23 9:29 p.m.

I'm also a Foxwell fan, I have a 510 Elite (old model) with the software modules for Honda, Toyota, and Saab. It does the job, and was a great value for what I have into it.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
7/21/23 10:33 p.m.

Probably more than what you're looking for, but I bought this Launch scanner at a steep discount last Black Friday. Still not cheap, but bi-directional and fairly comprehensive. Works quickly and pretty smoothly. It's not perfect, but I wanted something that could cover multiple brands without buying additional software. Two years of free updates (via wifi, no less) is a nice bonus, too.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
7/22/23 6:59 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Glad to hear about long term reliability on these import brands.

Digging through my old scanners I realized why my wireless dongle only worked once for me.  It's a wifi unit not bluetooth, so it will only work if I'm close enough to the house.  Maybe I'll try again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bh3iKNkB78jhVlDxbWvHs8m8YUqgSkuShT53WXK4D5g6dcPFHoGmdQHjNdtsowe4