GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/10/22 7:34 p.m.

My 2003 Focus has a notoriously poor quality Audiphile head unit. This might be the second one that died, I bought an extra one on Ebay a while ago and it turns out I bought a $100 brick. I could go with some fancy roll out touch screen high tech aftermarket single DIN radio, but I like the factory-ish look because I don't want anyone bashing my window in order to extract said fancy head unit. The kicker is that this is a 1.5 DIN sized radio, which is not too common. And I really want to keep my steering wheel controls for the unit. Anyone have any recommendations. I see RetroSound units that look right, I also see some cheap Boss units that might pass for stock. I am not going to go crazy over the sound quality. I also have seen the Blaupunkt Bremen, but that is single DIN (yes I can convert easily) and is a bit pricey. But I supose you get the Blaupunkt sound quality for that range. 

Technically probably not Rad Era in 2003, but this was designed in late 90s so I will make the stretch.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/22 9:01 p.m.

Clarion M508 has a similar timeless aesthetic to the Blaupunkt, but with white backlighting.

Also worth noting that Blaupunkt sold the brand to a Chinese company years ago. The Bremen looks the part, but Blaupunkt sound quality is no longer something worth seeking out.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/10/22 9:01 p.m.

There's a Blaupunkt Irvine that looks the part and is under $40.00.  It is a single DIN, but has a remote control.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blaupunkt-IRVINE70-Single-Din-Car-Stereo-Multimedia-AM-FM-Radio-Receiver-With-Bluetooth-USB-Port-SD-Card-Slot/205518372

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/10/22 9:17 p.m.

Is 2003 Focus 1.5 din?  I think it is true double din.

Most Ford factory radios through 2009 should be plug and play.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/11/22 9:04 a.m.

The Bremen is cool, but oh so expensive. VDO/Continental makes a good looking Bluetooth enabled guy. It seems to be available in blue, amber and white backlighting, with and without a CD slot or Bluetooth. I believe they tie the backlight color to the branding for whatever reason, but $160 typically. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/11/22 9:22 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

I put one of those VDO/continental units in a car and was very disappointed with the audio quality especially through bluetooth. Bluetooth really doesn't have much of a codec standard, and it sounded like that head unit was using a very low bitrate where you loose all the detail and the highs and lows. Also, the screen doesn't dim when you turn the lights on and it is blindingly bright. I was pretty bummed that it didn't work out.

Since then I have had more success using line output converters/external audo processors or equalizers/aftermarket amps with a stock head unit to get the sound quality I want, and depending on the head unit you can often open the thing up and hijack the tape deck signal or another low-level signal to use as an aux input. Then that aux input can be used with a cheap bluetooth chip or an adapter if you want wireless capability. Problem is, that all depends on most of the stock head unit hardware being functional. I guess if the amp section dies you could snag the signal with RCA pigtails to use as a preamp out.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
5/11/22 9:33 a.m.

Maybe something a bit 'retro' would be inorder

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/11/22 9:48 a.m.

One of my favorite HU's from back in the early 2000's was the Kenwood EZ-500:

Looks good, sounds good, and has an aux input. Sadly, no Bluetooth, but that's ok. I have one squirreled away for my Trans Am when I get it back on the road that I bought new back around 2005. Single DIN, but it might fit the bill with a small map pocket (1.5 DIN anything is hard to find now). 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/11/22 11:58 a.m.

I'm with you for keeping the radio period-correct. The Porsche had this when I bought it. Not the worst but could be better. 

I do like the looks of those VDO/Continental units. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/11/22 12:42 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

I put one of those VDO/continental units in a car and was very disappointed with the audio quality especially through bluetooth. Bluetooth really doesn't have much of a codec standard, and it sounded like that head unit was using a very low bitrate where you loose all the detail and the highs and lows. Also, the screen doesn't dim when you turn the lights on and it is blindingly bright. I was pretty bummed that it didn't work out.

Since then I have had more success using line output converters/external audo processors or equalizers/aftermarket amps with a stock head unit to get the sound quality I want, and depending on the head unit you can often open the thing up and hijack the tape deck signal or another low-level signal to use as an aux input. Then that aux input can be used with a cheap bluetooth chip or an adapter if you want wireless capability. Problem is, that all depends on most of the stock head unit hardware being functional. I guess if the amp section dies you could snag the signal with RCA pigtails to use as a preamp out.

That's disappointing, the feature set and specs really do read like what would be a $60 big box unit these days, but darnit, it looks good. I can barely hear the stereo in my top down car anyway, so may bite the bullet anyway. I think there may be a slightly newer version, because I remember some of the part numbers going on sale about a year ago. Do you remember the part number of the one you purchased?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/11/22 3:35 p.m.

I bought a Blaupunkt Bremen for my corrado. Haven't installed it yet as I'm unsure of my plans for the corrado...

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/22 7:32 p.m.

Cool stuff. I will check these out. I do like the look in the VDOs and the Clarion. 

I am seeing some marine and heavy duty Jensen radios have the look. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
5/11/22 11:00 p.m.

I bought one of those continental head units and the on-off button only worked intermittently after about 3 months.  I still haven't replaced it but that clarion one looks nice.  I bought a truck/bus radio that looks decent but the trim didn't fit, it would work in other vehicles though.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/12/22 11:33 a.m.

PERIOD CORRECT 80’S BLUETOOTH RADIO (GREEN ILLUMINATION)

$140.00

Finally, a reasonably priced, period correct radio for 80’s vehicles. Never again do you have to look at the flamboyant designs and flashing lights of the requisite discount-store-aisle units. This particular design is carefully interpreted to fit the lovably simple, hard-cornered interiors of 80's cars and trucks. It features a satin black finish with appropriate green backlighting and a simple, no nonsense display carefully tinted to mimic the factory clocks from the time period.

This is a beautifully simple mech-less unit, with no moving parts of heavy mechanisms to malfunction over time. This radio is a standard single-DIN size, and should fit seamlessly in any vehicles that feature green interior illumination. With this unit you get everything you need, and nothing you don't; Instantaneous Bluetooth connectivity for music, navigation and phone, FM radio with presets, and 4 channels at 60watts of power. There’s a basic EQ with bass, treble, balance and fader. Siri even works when the button on your iPhone is pressed! It also has slots for AUX, USB, and SD cards. What’s left out are all the things you don’t need; CD drives, cassette decks, and boisterous, colorful EQ displays. AM radio is not supported.

*some shimming / adjustments may be required for perfect fitment, depending on mounting style. A standard single DIN radio cage is included with your purchase. Some slight variances in production models may be present.

This is a limited production run, and currently radios are shipping within one week of purchase.

All radios will come with a 90 day warranty against defects in functionality

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/12/22 11:49 a.m.
pheller said:

That is amazing. I want that right now. I think it'd go perfectly in my '97 f350. Where can I get this? Actually, I had planned on ordering a stock radio from a e-series cutaway van. They're BT capable, look pretty simple and single DIN. But event they looked a little new.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
5/12/22 2:48 p.m.
fatallightning said:
gearheadE30 said:

That's disappointing, the feature set and specs really do read like what would be a $60 big box unit these days, but darnit, it looks good. I can barely hear the stereo in my top down car anyway, so may bite the bullet anyway. I think there may be a slightly newer version, because I remember some of the part numbers going on sale about a year ago. Do you remember the part number of the one you purchased?

The part number I had was TR712UB-BU

I also tried to fix the super bright display issue by inverting the LCD screen, which was not as successful as I would have hoped:

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/12/22 2:50 p.m.

I love the old Clarion ones, had a couple back in the day to go with the Orion subs. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/12/22 4:00 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

What brand is that radio, and where can you buy one?

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/13/22 12:46 p.m.

Oh sorry I thought I had the link. 

https://www.80s-modern.com/product/period-correct-80-s-bluetooth-radio

I thought about buying one just to keep in a box for the right car....

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/22 12:49 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

That website looks slightly less than legitimate... Still want though.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/13/22 12:49 p.m.

Another is the Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB but they are $400. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/13/22 12:51 p.m.
iansane said:

In reply to pheller :

That website looks slightly less than legitimate... Still want though.

It looks like it was created by an enthusiast who just wanted to sell the radio. 

Probably a deal where someone designed it, emailed a production company in China, had a few hundred made, slapped some in some personal projects, and now wants to unload the rest. 

I dunno, send an email and find out the story. Maybe GRM can run an article.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/13/22 12:59 p.m.
jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/13/22 5:25 p.m.

Amazon link to a radio that looks strikingly similar. Although this one has backlit knobs and a chrome face, both could be easily remedied. 

I'd be very interested but no SiriusXM compatibility makes it a pass for me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BVHK45jryEbquV3sDol8xBsUZ5GzqMnU4bduhdQQLKZAhytc4jGDLCfRRRYuGDwt