1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/7/15 12:44 p.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/15 12:52 p.m.

Interesting. If the deployable jackstand is a mechanical one this would be great, it cuts out the middleman when putting a jackstand under a car. Even if the stand is hydraulic it would still be handy.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/7/15 1:37 p.m.

my $100 Craftsman jack lifts higher and my $30 jackstands work just as good...

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/7/15 1:53 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: my $100 Craftsman jack lifts higher and my $30 jackstands work just as good...

Yeah me too. Heck, I have a lift in my garage and I'd buy this. Putting a car on jack-stands is a pain, and sometimes the jacking point I'm using is the only decent place for a jack-stand. To me, this is great.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
10/7/15 1:58 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: and sometimes the jacking point I'm using is the only decent place for a jack-stand. To me, this is great.

agree on this point...

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/7/15 2:42 p.m.

Interesting. How do the jack stands lock in place?

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
10/7/15 2:52 p.m.

One of the YouTube comments said it's banned in the US and was formerly nicknamed the "Assault Jack".

Not sure how much you want to trust YouTube commenters, but it sounds interesting from that perspective. Looks handy otherwise.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/7/15 3:23 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Interesting. How do the jack stands lock in place?

You can see the groves in the shaft of the stand. I suspect they are spring held and inserting the jack compresses the springs (?)

I think the "Assault Jack" comment was a week gun control jab.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/15 3:36 p.m.

Craftsman made one of those but you can't get them anymore. Amazon used to have some old stock from other companies but I can't find that page anymore either; I looked these up after seeing the video a few months back, and best I can tell, you can't buy them anywhere anymore...probably because someone got hurt. Photos of them are all over Google but they seem not to exist for sale anywhere so who knows.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/Jack-System-Lift-N-Secure/d/product_details.jsp?pid=9444

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/15 3:47 p.m.

Found a website with some leads! Apparently this is the original manufacturer: safetjack.com

Sadly everything I can find seems to indicate that these entered production sometime in the 90's and disappeared from the market around 2010 for some reason.

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
10/7/15 4:23 p.m.

Yeah, this is not the first time these have shown up here. No advice on trying to find one.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
10/7/15 4:29 p.m.

Looks like an answer to a question no one asked. I will take the comfort over my solid jackstands with positive physical stops to some overcomplicated ramp/spring/pin mechanism.

Fundamentally, its pretty neat. In practice, overcomplicated mess. Designed by an engineer without dirt under their fingernails.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/7/15 4:37 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Fundamentally, its pretty neat. In practice, overcomplicated mess. Designed by an engineer without dirt under their fingernails.

You just described every car made since 1974.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
10/7/15 5:00 p.m.

I love it, but as is it wouldn't fit under the Miata, the 325, or the 320... but I may be asking too much since about everything I own is lowered at LEAST an 1-1/2 inches.

That might fit under the Focus, though.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/15 5:38 p.m.

Huh, I never knew these existed. There is a similar concept out there now:

UniJack

But it only has a max lift height of 18 3/8" and a capacity of 4k lbs

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
10/7/15 9:47 p.m.

There are Hein-Werners, and then there are other jacks.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/8/15 7:56 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Yeah, this is not the first time these have shown up here. No advice on trying to find one.

Yeah. This video seems to be making the rounds on the interweb lately. It's a neat idea, but the big problem I have with it is the low-height is too tall to fit under most cars. Probably fine if you have trucks and SUV's you need to jack up all the time.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/8/15 9:38 a.m.

I'll take my mechanical ones, thanks.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
10/8/15 10:45 a.m.

There are AC jacks, and then there are other jacks.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/8/15 10:55 a.m.

Neat concept, but for me anyway that would be of very little use.

If I'm just changing wheels, I jack up one side and place a jack stand next to the jack as backup, as it's pretty quick. For pretty much everything else, I jack my cars one end at a time, from the middle, then place 2 jack stands on the corners.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/15 11:02 a.m.
classicJackets wrote: One of the YouTube comments said it's banned in the US and was formerly nicknamed the "Assault Jack". Not sure how much you want to trust YouTube commenters, but it sounds interesting from that perspective. Looks handy otherwise.

might be trustworthy, as that's the least racist/sexist/political/anti-semitic youtube comment ever posted.

aw614
aw614 New Reader
10/8/15 12:08 p.m.

I'd like something like that or at least a lower profile jack stand, I just get really nervous jacking the car so high and finding a spot to place the jackstand, doing things like changing the suspension or brakes, it would be nice to just have the car just slightly in the air and not too high up

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/8/15 12:59 p.m.

i'd be most worried about the stability... sometimes, you just need to get violent when trying to get something apart on a car and those stands just don't look like they can keep a car from moving around. also, that flat base doesn't look too forgiving of uneven surfaces, and i've never had a garage with a truly flat floor.

so my 3.5 ton Craftsman jack and my assortment of jackstands ranging from 3 tons to 6 tons in capacity will keep doing the job for me.. i even made an extension for my jack so i can get cars up as high as my 6 ton stands will go, which is a bit over 2 feet up and high enough to roll a transmission out from under a car on my transmission jack..

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/8/15 1:25 p.m.

Do you have to buy 4 to hold up the entire car?

Don't like relying on a pin/ spring etc. mechanism. My failsafe on my stupid jackstands is that if they fail, they fall to the bottom (where they are still secure). I have 1 whose ratchet cam is funky and can do this. But I don't need to think- it either works, or it doesn't. Never need to check to see if some pin is aligned properly or whatnot.

Some engineer has too much time on his hands.

FourPointSixBoost
FourPointSixBoost New Reader
11/1/16 1:56 p.m.

I just found this design - it uses common jack stands to accomplish the same thing...I can't find it for sale though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxK3WSeVrvQ

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z5PUm16cGbqxeI9Ww0nfbeHoT5SqxUzVCOXAZuXgvjbpnqJpB5TuVqZRA6qKyBz5