1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/26/21 11:08 a.m.

Stripping..........

And.....

oldeskewltoy said:
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

Exciting progress! I can't wait to see her continue to take shape, and I look forward to a ride someday.

Having seen this project in person, I know that driver's side header clearance is going to be a significant challenge due to tight space to begin with plus the need to have some means of steering in that tight space. Are there plans afoot to have the body guys do some massaging or reshaping to the box section "frame rail" of the unibody structure to maximize options in this area, or will the approach be to solve this 3D puzzle purely with header and steering design after-the-fact?

I'd vote for making some clearance now to set yourself up for success on the next steps, but I think I've always been more open to bending/cutting/welding parts of the unibody than you have.

Seems like a question worth asking now, rather than a regret for later.

not sure much can be done...  I'll be looking closer on Monday... but the sub frame mounting bolt may make modifying that rail section moot - note where the bolt is in photo below 

It (exhaust) may(likely will) require a custom manifold.

So.....   after talking to ATC (body shop) the engine compartment, and the hood will only be getting to the primer stage until after the engine is fitted.  This should allow some changes in the engines position (possibly higher?) for better clearance for the exhaust.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/29/21 12:09 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

And.....

oldeskewltoy said:

Exciting progress! I can't wait to see her continue to take shape, and I look forward to a ride someday.

Having seen this project in person, I know that driver's side header clearance is going to be a significant challenge due to tight space to begin with plus the need to have some means of steering in that tight space. Are there plans afoot to have the body guys do some massaging or reshaping to the box section "frame rail" of the unibody structure to maximize options in this area, or will the approach be to solve this 3D puzzle purely with header and steering design after-the-fact?

I'd vote for making some clearance now to set yourself up for success on the next steps, but I think I've always been more open to bending/cutting/welding parts of the unibody than you have.

Seems like a question worth asking now, rather than a regret for later.

not sure much can be done...  I'll be looking closer on Monday... but the sub frame mounting bolt may make modifying that rail section moot - note where the bolt is in photo below 

It (exhaust) may(likely will) require a custom manifold.

So.....   after talking to ATC (body shop) the engine compartment, and the hood will only be getting to the primer stage until after the engine is fitted.  This should allow some changes in the engines position (possibly higher?) for better clearance for the exhaust.

So... after chatting with ATC once more, the body work, and getting it into primer will be the goal now, we will postpone painting until the engine is fitted   They felt painting the different parts of the car @ a later time may not match as well as painting it all at the same time.... and I concur....

As to the engine placement...  this photo show a bit better...  I do believe I have at least 1", and maybe 2" of room to go up, and while the trans tunnel is currently tight (less then an inch), that is relatively easy to adjust/change, and hide it...........

So... while the body shop gets to work on the shell.... it looks like its time to light a fire @ the engine shop.... smiley

more to come...... 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/21 12:16 p.m.

Do you still have a way to compare to the centerline of the original engine/trans crankshaft and output shaft?  Might be nice to compare where the new powertrain sits relative to the old one.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/29/21 12:52 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Do you still have a way to compare to the centerline of the original engine/trans crankshaft and output shaft?  Might be nice to compare where the new powertrain sits relative to the old one.

Original lump was 2M, so engine was taller then this one.  front of tunnel not yet cut....  so Id say the crank center line is nearly  there... although it might be marginally lower right now.....

DarkMonohue
1/29/21 12:58 p.m.

Yeah, I understand that the engine and trans are both different. Just thought  it might make sense to use the original centerline as a starting point for locating the new combo. Sometimes it's a moot point (and that may be the case here), but often it's easier to find where get going if you know where you started from. 

I should go back through the thread. You probably documented this already. 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/30/21 2:29 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

I should go back through the thread. You probably documented this already. 

I never got the original 2M, or the original 4 speed, so Im guessing at best.....

DarkMonohue
1/30/21 2:32 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

I never got the original 2M, or the original 4 speed, so Im guessing at best.....

Ah, right. Like I said, I should have reread the thread before opening my gob to say nothing of value. Carry on...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/1/21 3:48 p.m.

Hmmmmm, with a bit of luck...   it'll be ready by it's 50th birthday........

more to come...... smiley

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/2/21 9:04 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

so...the entire front suspension, and engine mounts are part of the front cradle/cross member assembly... drop the pitman arm, idler arm, brake lines and 4 bolts... and the entire front cradle/cross member comes out as a unit!

I've also been busy ordering suspension parts... 

so... keeping my fingers crossed..........   #34, and #35 in the sub frame, were no longer available from Toyota.....so I was researching custom making #34...... BUT allegedly they are now coming from megazip....   surprise

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/6/21 11:52 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

so... keeping my fingers crossed..........   #34, and #35 in the sub frame, were no longer available from Toyota.....so I was researching custom making #34...... BUT allegedly they are now coming from megazip....   surprise

boooooooooo....   not that I really expected them... but I was hoping...........

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/20/21 6:27 p.m.

It has been a while....   

there has been some progress on the body, the front is now in primer

And I've opened up the 4 bins that came with the car... and found a heaterbox that didn't belong....

this is why I was pretty sure it didn't belong.....

hidden surprises in every "project car"......  surprise frown angry  

finding a unicorn might be easier......

then ae86andkp61 found this ebay ad......  https://www.ebay.com/itm/72-73-TOYOTA-CORONA-MARK-II-HEATER-BOX-UNIT-MX28-MX23-VENT-DOOR-HOUSING-CORE/353190757792

Needless to say, I bought it...  it will need some repair, and a complete going through to make sure it is in top functioning order before it gets installed..... but at least it what belongs in the car.......

interesting side note it came from the same source as the console did.....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
6/7/21 9:02 p.m.

Im officially batcrap crazy.....  I bought another one....  this one is 1974, so MX23 instead of MX22.  This is also an automatic. This one will be a parts mule.....  trim, window regulators, and just overall parts.   

Now to get it the 420 miles from Colville Wa to Portland. 

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

I'm not sure it's totally official until you start scheming on ways you can complete the one that was supposed to be the parts car and have two! Just think about it...two of the same car! One street, one track. One vintage, one restomod. One mild, one wild. That's batE36 M3 crazy, but I don't know this from personal experience....no, no, not all like something I would do or have done in the past! laugh 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
6/14/21 10:00 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

I'm not sure it's totally official until you start scheming on ways you can complete the one that was supposed to be the parts car and have two! Just think about it...two of the same car! One street, one track. One vintage, one restomod. One mild, one wild. That's batE36 M3 crazy, but I don't know this from personal experience....no, no, not all like something I would do or have done in the past! laugh 

Once I announced I was buying it... I've had 6-8 people come out of the wood work asking me for parts from it, even "Fred" (the guy I bought my Mark II from) wants parts!  Once I get it back to the shop, I'll strip it for the parts I need, and then go through the request for parts as they were requested.    One thing is for sure - I should be able to sell off enough from it to break even.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
11/12/21 6:52 p.m.

Not dead yet......

bumpers going to  Verne's in Gardena....

Thank you ae86andkp61....

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
11/12/21 8:19 p.m.

Fantastic! Just caught up. I've been following the engine build and didn't know there was already a receiver in the works. As for exhaust, you might be able to route the drivers side header around the front if you don't have room to get past the steering.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
11/30/21 9:59 a.m.

All the dings and dents gone... next step triple plating

java230
java230 PowerDork
11/30/21 12:30 p.m.

Those look great

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
12/12/21 4:05 p.m.

"Pleased to let you know your bumpers are done and look magnificent.  Here are a few photos, it is very hard to send close up photos of chrome, all you really get are strange reflections, but be assured they look great!"

can't wait......    

more to come 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
12/23/21 5:54 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

and I've begun thinking about subtle body modifications.

And...  a dual center-exit exhaust - apologies for the poor rendition:  license is moved - it uses a flipdown license plate holder (dual purpose as it also "hides" the trunk lock)  the section below the exhaust is "frenched" so it is smooth all the way across on the bottom

Hmmmmmm..... angel

available on ebay... https://www.ebay.com/itm/233925765332

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/12/22 4:11 p.m.

SHINY....  smiley

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/22 6:40 p.m.

Very nice! Do you mind sharing the name of the chrome shop?

oldeskewltoy said:

bumpers going to  Verne's in Gardena....

In reply to bgkast :

Looking back through the thread, looks like someplace called Verne's Chrome in Gardena, CA. Hope this helps! Oldeskewltoy, I've got to say those do look fantastic!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/31/22 9:45 a.m.

So to address the elephant in the room; I may be losing this work space in the nearish future. Landlord has been acting weird and making veiled threats, plus kicked out the guys next door who have also been renting space for similar purposes (car/motorcycle builds, steel fabrication, plus occasional bbqs and shenanigans) for even longer than the 9.5 years I've been there!

Yeah.....  same shop... same dilemma.     crying 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/13/22 1:34 p.m.

shop seems "safe" for now...  

and a bit of news....  I'm on the hunt for an RA6x Celica manual steering rack.....  It appears to be about an inch further left, AND splayed over at a bit more of an angle.....  which should allow enough room for the exhaust to pass

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4rpFh1Gbl2CtPzBHEBXLvCBawZ1vciHcpRCKlpcG0PzdZMpNeN6CroCVECEFw7Rg