1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
6/29/20 9:23 p.m.

Will start a real build thread soon but got a deal today for the drivetrain. 

I spent another 3.5K. Got to love facebook marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/698803077356715

Brand new CB 2276cc motor, freeway flyer and disk brakes on a 66 drag chassis that has no registration. PIcking up the whole car. Likely get 500-600 selling off the rest of it and then even more in scrap.

Some photos of my Dad at the shop as I was behind the camera.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/29/20 9:31 p.m.

Hhhnnnnggggg!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/29/20 9:52 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/29/20 9:53 p.m.

Very cool. I drove one ages ago, I think it had a 2.0 motor but it made enough power to make it loads of fun. You'll like it a lot.

D2W
D2W Dork
7/1/20 11:16 a.m.

My old boss had a 356 speedster replica with a 150hp motor. It was loads of fun. Great purchase.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/1/20 11:58 a.m.

Great choices. I'm really looking forward to watching the build.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/20 12:08 p.m.

Can't wait for the build thread, saw you made the choice on IG the other day.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/28/20 7:03 p.m.

Bumping up my old thread. 

So the Viper seems to have been sold. That means this might actually happen. Been digging into motor and a transmission combos still leaning towards a unboosted LS. Between selling the Cadillac for a good price, selling a few motors and having a possible buyer on the Thunderbird I am pretty flush. 

So of course I was offered a no stripe Ford GT for a rational price, it would mean trading in the R8 at the same time and killing the 917K dream but it would put me at just two cars. The 550 Spyder the GT and I would likely start biking to work on a side step bike because my wife would castrate me.   

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/22/22 12:48 p.m.

Very very old bump.

550 Spyder is done and almost registered, just need to finish the interior is aluminum and I have been bleeding down cars and bikes. 

I.E. I  think I have the Baja bug sold tomorrow, the 64 Corvette may go as well to a friend of that buyer. Bikes are pretty stable in the garage. I may even let the thunderbird go because I rarely drive it. ~250K+ or so put aside from all that plus some from the sale of the Viper / R8 that I never put into another car. Some of that is going into a house renovations which has to happen first but.....

If they both go then this is the next project on the docket. Been talking with my suppliers and a transmission can be purchased without much delay, I can get a LS3 that will hold up for track work as well and get the whole package delivered with a harness assembled and on a pallet for around 30K with shafts and ECU. This was the big holdup before as there was a 12-18 month delay on some of it. 

All in I am looking at ~125K with a show quality paint job and caged the way I want to do it and still street legal.  I would only do the engine and wiring work. Still not 100% sure I fit in it and will fly out to see one in person, if not there is a can am body. Not going to go TT on the motor but will have the bottom end built enough to do so to get me to say 800 wheel. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/22/22 2:25 p.m.

Fast Car, Wandering Star you put an air cooled flat six in that 550, fits just fine

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/22/22 3:58 p.m.

On the dyno at the wheel the current motor makes 155hp. The car in stripped out trim weights 967lb's on my scales. The 550 does not need any more power. It need less power and way way way longer main gear. 

fastoldfart
fastoldfart Reader
4/22/22 7:40 p.m.

Someone must have one of these gathering dust in the garage...

Subaru Motori Moderni Flat 12 F1 Engine

Nothing sounds quite like  FLAT 12!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a34989221/alfa-romeo-33-sc-flat-12-sound-video/

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/22/22 8:01 p.m.

Too tall a final drive and that car will have a top speed of 140 mph

You do NOT want to go 140 in that thing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SpgP144nE4lK3t7y14p8yufzNV5h1cQc1ML35e6Hf4sDE41NbuiFS0lU0h0AW7Is