1 ... 3 4 5
Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
1/29/12 5:41 p.m.

Why are we still arguing the point? If you like a product, use it. If you dislike a product, choose another. I use Mobil 1 oil and filters. I own several cars with over 100,000 miles and one with over 200,000 miles. All have compression readings at or near the upper reaches of shop manual guidelines. Is Mobil 1 overkill? Maybe, but I would rather spend a little more now than a lot more later. Hey, I sound like a commercial.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/29/12 6:20 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Lately, I've taken to ordering filters in bulk online. I just got a batch of them for the truck and the Taurus on eBay. About the same price as the store, but it saves me a bunch of trips, I figure, and I always have one when I need it.

That is what I do. I got the master pack of PF61 NAPA Gold equivalents for about $3.50/each. I am now down to 2 left out of 12 plus one buried ACD. IF Chrysler didn't jam the filter on the side of the block, like a bunch of retreads, I would put on a FL1A. I have too many Fords floating around still....

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/29/12 7:53 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
novaderrik wrote: they gotta see your face a lot before they start giving you good deals.. i've also found that NAPA employees tend to give you good deals when you buy a lot of parts from them for oddball cars...
Not to add to the necro of this thread.. but the napa near me offers discounts for cars over 25 years old..

napa's are largely privately owned. they each do what they want, more or less.

the corporate ones have a filter sale twice a year. wix rebates them on filters sold during those three day events, such that they will sell the filters for 50-70% off normal walk-in price.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
1/29/12 10:00 p.m.

Most Napas I've been in act as if they don't want you there if you're not part of a business.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
1/30/12 7:34 a.m.
rotard wrote: Most Napas I've been in act as if they don't want you there if you're not part of a business.

I agree with this statement. That and that usually just answer the phone saying "Napa" I actually like some customer service.

carzzar
carzzar None
5/13/12 6:31 p.m.

Not to 'Pile On' but when Fram continues to claim its attributes to which I have been led to recommend too other then fails, by destroying my well maintained motor because of a faulty valve. I believe the truth should be shared. Only recourse is here and to give old reliable away.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
5/13/12 7:12 p.m.
smog7 wrote:

Your use of this photo would suggest that you think that people who own expensive and/or rare cars automatically "know about cars" and never do anything stupid regarding the maintenance of said cars.....

FWIW, I used FRAMs when I was in college and didn't know anything other than that they're cheap. When I started actually doing research (on BITOG.com, in particular), I stopped using them.

While I'm sure many, many, many people have had zero problems with FRAM filters, there is enough evidence out there of lacking quality and/or QC on the base filters to make it worth paying an extr $2 or $5 for and OEM or higher-end filter for peace of mind.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

fastmiata
fastmiata HalfDork
5/13/12 8:51 p.m.

Wix filters are the best unless you want to install a racing filter system. If you are buying good oil. why crimp on the filter?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
5/13/12 9:20 p.m.

OEM Toyota filters. I use them on everything, including the Harleys and the Lotus.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/13/12 9:49 p.m.

I found something interesting on the WIX filter website.

They list the burst pressures of the filters on the spec sheet.

Handy, the 3TC in my Corolla has the common 3TC oil pump relief valve problem, it stick for a second on startup and spikes the oil pressure causing cheaper filters to balloon out.

I found a Ford oil filter that has a higher burst pressure than the Toyota filter but the same thread size and o-ring dimensions.

Guess what I'll be using.

Shawn

smog7
smog7 Dork
5/14/12 12:53 a.m.

I forgot that I started this thread.

I've been using oem toyota filters since first posting this thread.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/14/12 7:28 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: OEM Toyota filters. I use them on everything, including the Harleys and the Lotus.

This is what I do. They fit on the Samurai.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
5/14/12 5:58 p.m.

Heard horror stories about Fram filters but never really had any issues with them until I couldn't get 4 in row of the to seal on a 2.8 V6 in a Z24 I had. Wix worked and didn't leak and that is what I've been using ever since in the cars I do change oil in myself. The cars under warranty get OEM from the dealer when they change the oil. I know, I know. But it doesn't really cost much more to have them do it than if I did it. Won't go to a quicky lube joint though. I do change the oil myself in my older cars, like the 99 Miata and the 70 Opel GT. The dealer changes the oil in my wifes 2010 Sonata and my 04 RX8. But I do add oil to the RX8 when necessary.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gk5a0OmANswhBzwTuBj1pwwzjTWT0bVZOiWnnMbC1VHlk2h8aN79JLfdAzypUcqC