1 2
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/29/22 1:28 p.m.

A while back Frenchy had a neighbot who was looking for a nice Buick Woodie Wagon.  I couldn't find that thread, so you get this one.

Take a look at this one.  It looks great, hard to imagine a nicer one coming up for sale anytime soon.

link

and link

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 2:06 p.m.

Isn't that a beauty?  Too bad he's moved on*.     But wow now I have a reason to spend that. $2 on a lottery ticket. Well, the drawing is tonight. I wonder how soon they could hand me the big check?   
  Of course it would need a trailer hitch for the Chris Craft  Cobra to pull behind.  Hmmm the 18' with the KBL or the 21 footer with either the Chrysler Hemi. Or the Cadillac ? 
  * Since the pandemic happened,  Lakeshore property is getting insane in value.   Higher end homes are around 20 million,  A lot of homes are now up in the 7 million range  and 2 million is pretty much entry level.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/29/22 2:24 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Too bad.  What did he move on to?

also, any pics of the Chris Craft you mentioned?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I don't know,  last I heard California.  I wish I knew how to transfer pictures. I think I have a picture of my old Chris Craft.  Let me go look for you.  
     Easiest way is to google Chris Craft Cobra  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 2:37 p.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 2:53 p.m.

Notice the Lucas Sport coil? 
This is the Chris Craft KBL  ( actually made by Hercules, typically found in farming equipment ( minus the 3 carbs and wild camshaft) 3 carbs on a Flathead 6  with the factory cam.  Wow is it wild!!! 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 3:01 p.m.

You're missing the exhaust burble . Pulling away like this is a fantastic exhaust note. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/29/22 7:08 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

older wooden boats of that era will NEVER EVER not look amazing.  I was lucky enough years ago to be on the st. Johns river here in central Florida when a boat club had an impromptu parade of classic watercraft. All wood and all perfectly restored. Enough to give ya a boatner. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/29/22 7:28 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Wish I had more up votes to give!!!!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/29/22 7:29 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I assume that is you working in pictures? Late '60s, maybe?

Tjsnks for the pictures. Way cool!

Is that one you still have? Or has it moved on? Would be perfect behind the Buick. 
I'm getting wood,  just thinkin' bout that , well, wood. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/29/22 7:31 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

older wooden boats of that era will NEVER EVER not look amazing.  I was lucky enough years ago to be on the st. Johns river here in central Florida when a boat club had an impromptu parade of classic watercraft. All wood and all perfectly restored. Enough to give ya a boatner. 

So true.

Thanks Frenchyd for posting the pictures yes

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 8:32 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

We usually have two gatherings of the "Woodies"  here on this Lake.   I'll try to take some photos this year  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 8:54 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I assume that is you working in pictures? Late '60s, maybe?

Tjsnks for the pictures. Way cool!

Is that one you still have? Or has it moved on? Would be perfect behind the Buick. 
I'm getting wood,  just thinkin' bout that , well, wood. 

Yeh, it's a younger more trim me.   I bought that boat for $300 ( notice that tends to be my buy in price?)  it had a big hole in the side of the block  and the Mahogany had absolutely no varnish on it. The Chrome was all completely removed. More than a few were completely gone.   
  The fun was finding all those parts, sanding and varnishing that  hull, then finding the engine in a Kansas field, rebuilding it and putting it back in the hull. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 9:04 p.m.

No I no longer have that Chris Craft.  I sold it to pay to build this.  It's a runner bottom  Drag boat I used selling the Chris Craft to pay for this hull.  I built the 350 small block for this  and later in the summer replaced the Holley with Hilborn injectors. 

I sold that because of the back wake as I slowed down.  My wife look behind her and the whole rear half of the boat as I slowed down looked like it was below the water level  3-4 feet below.  
 There was no water in the boat and once down to coasting speed the stern popped up nice and dry..  

But the illusion of sinking terrified her. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 9:12 p.m.

I sold that a couple of years later to buy this in the fall of 1978 which I still have today. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/29/22 9:17 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Heck, that's even prettier, in a totally different way!  That one still around and water worthy?

edit: knew ya still had the big 'un  answers while I was typing!

I have a few friends in boat racing, but I didn't really get to involved That's what "Keebo" (was crew chief for John force a long time) did to relax from the stress of the other! I was never around John, don't know much about him. But a best friend knew keebo all through school. Really good dude! 
What is a runner bottom, other than the obvious. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/29/22 9:18 p.m.

Yes, we are far off topic, but not really. And a good thread for it!!!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/29/22 11:43 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

A runner bottom treats the outside of the hull like a 3 point hydro.  It's a flat bottom drag boat with 4" runners going all the way to the bow.  Because  of the design has less drag and more boat in the air. 
    This one wasn't a pure drag boat because it had a pair of rear facing seats on either side of the engine along with a pair of forward facing seats. 
    With the prop I used it was capable of 130  mph with more stability than a true 3 point. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/30/22 12:27 a.m.

Very cool. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/31/22 9:51 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

As for my Sea Ray.  Yes it's in my driveway. My wife can no longer get on the boat so I don't launch it just for myself.  But I should do something with it.  I should sell it.  But I've owned it for 44 years I can't count how many people have water skied behind it or learned how to water ski.  It's a blast to pull inflatables behind because it's remarkably maneuverable.  But most of the time it's barely above idle  as I slowly cruise around just off idle barely fast enough to maintain steerage way. 
   It needs cleaning,  detailing,  and the gimbal bearing replaced. ( it hasn't failed but it's getting noisy )  the engine probably has less than 500 hrs on it which if I average it out  that's like 15,000 miles  @ 30 mph  

Clean bottom fresh prop she'll do 40 mph,  sleeps six.  I've had more than 20 on board to watch fireworks.  But cruises comfortably with 8-12. Galley,  head,  100 gallon fuel tank 40 gallons fresh water 20 gallon waste tank.   
if I detailed it and touched it up it would probably sell for $5000. As is on the trailer maybe $2000 

Just doesn't seem worth it to sell an old reliable friend for that little. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/1/22 3:56 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/1/22 3:57 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/1/22 4:00 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Some of the boats from last year

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/1/22 4:26 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yes Please!

Those are gorgeous!  I love the tappered tail on that last one.  Reminds me of the Jag rear 3/4 view

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/1/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bH88StJcQlYuvbpjyulc27D7jW2Zv3SjpB6SptT0zDscCHACCvbl4oB1ZkG130Jk