1 2
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/21 1:09 p.m.

Well, that was easy!

May the rest of your journey be as smooth!

LeftLaneLoser
LeftLaneLoser UltraDork
8/13/21 2:13 p.m.

Incredible humans on this forum. May it never change. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/13/21 3:14 p.m.

Ya know, I've satisfied most of my high grade metric bolt needs at my local Ace Hardware . That's for small quantities only....they are a little pricey. And ought out curiosity...what size are Miata shock bolts, since Keith was involved?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/21 4:17 p.m.

Miata shock bolts are 12mm. I figured I'd probably have something in my stash that would fit, but no. Come to think of it, my Vanagon might have been able to supply a bolt but we were able to come up with a legit Porsche part without having to run around chasing our tails. 

Javelin has a long, long day today and got a late start, so we shall have to wait for the exciting conclusion in his words :)

Keith Tanner
8/13/21 4:18 p.m.
Slippery said:

Edited first post to reflect correct bolt size. BMW is an option, might need to clean the threads.

This may be true of some 944s, but not of the S2 apparently.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/13/21 5:09 p.m.

Looks like that's for early cars with steel control arms. Interestingly the parts catalog lists the early bolt as M12x75mm, not 55. So one of those two listings is either wrong or a typo.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/21 5:12 p.m.

We are in Ogden!

Okay story time now that I'm navigating instead of driving.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
8/13/21 5:15 p.m.

Definitely learned to apply loctite on the lower shock bolts on my ride due to the same issue. They are very prone to backing out in that location for whatever reason....

Glad you were able to get it sorted. Love this big group of morans. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/21 5:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Slippery said:

Edited first post to reflect correct bolt size. BMW is an option, might need to clean the threads.

This may be true of some 944s, but not of the S2 apparently.

I had typed M14x1.5x 85mm but after seeing this I edited my post. I had it right before Pelican made me doubt sad

8/13/21 5:38 p.m.

Okay so last night as we literally pulled into Grand Junction on some terrible road we heard a thump clang clang on a bump and then scraping every dip after that. It was 3 miles to the hotel and late so I nursed it in and went to sleep.

Got up this morning and looked under the car and saw the shock just dangling. 

The bolt was nowhere to be found and luckily hadn't broken off in the trailing arm. I remembered that Flyin Miata was nearby and posted up this thread looking for Keith who emailed me his phone number. We connected and then we gingerly made our way to his house.

Keith got the car up in the air and confirmed my diagnosis. We pulled the other shock bolt and tried to find something close and were coming up empty. Keith phoned some friends while Suzi and I paid the cat tax.

One of Keith's friends happened to run a Porsche shop and found the exact bolt, so we ran over in the spaceship Tesla 3 to pick it up..

Allen pulled up in this slantnose and gave us a bolt. We got to check out a couple of his ridiculously nice cars..

We made it back to Keith's and installed both bolts after adjusting the shocks.

After that we unfortunately had to hit the road. Keith and Janel were amazing and live in a breathtaking place, but we had 620 miles to drive...

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/13/21 5:41 p.m.

Awesome!!!

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/13/21 5:47 p.m.

If you want to meet up with another GRMer while in Ogden, let me know.  We can even put you up if you want to save some cash, or there is a local B&B that is supposed to be very nice (much pricier than staying at my house).

Keith Tanner
8/13/21 5:52 p.m.

Here's the 356 that Suzi was checking out. Allen's shop is a gearhead's dream, and there's no sign from outside.

http://www.retromodcars.com/features/from-chicken-coop-to-outlaw

The bolt now supporting the 944 came out of a random 911 trailing arm Allen had in his collection of random 911 trailing arms. We just had to wait for him to do a parts run -in the slantnose! - before we stopped by to pick it up. We chased the threads, loctited and torqued to spec.

Did the Koni adjustment help the ride?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
8/13/21 5:55 p.m.

Matthewmcl is good people. Definitely stop by if you can. Also it's not a bad mountain road to drive. There's even a cat!

8/13/21 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Immensely! It drives so nice now!

Keith Tanner
8/13/21 6:03 p.m.

Excellent.

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
8/13/21 6:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Miata shock bolts are 12mm. I figured I'd probably have something in my stash that would fit, but no.

Assuming Mazda is like other Japanese manufacturers, they would use M12 JIS bolts - 1.25 thread pitch, 17mm hex. 

Keith Tanner
8/13/21 6:35 p.m.

In reply to newrider3 :

The fact that they were 2mm too small in diameter was a bigger problem than the thread pitch :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PPQdn6iXr3fmfXzXMYdGjIkKI9btmt52Kz2dRN5hgrt5oRIYsxkHEkEMkbxX97PI