drock25too
drock25too New Reader
4/26/20 9:41 a.m.

This has probably been discussed in the past, if so just point me in the right direction. Does anyone know of a good PC based OBD program? Prefer one that connects via cable. All the troubleshooting information for the material handling equipment I work on is PC based and has diag. programs and trouble code readers that connect via IFAK cable. Would prefer to have all this info on one pc instead of having to keep track of another scan tool. 

Thanks,

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
4/26/20 10:14 a.m.

What kind of vehicle are you working on and what are you looking to accomplish?

Only PC based ones worth a squirt are the factory ones or some of the cool stuff like HP Tuners

• Toyota/Lexus/Scion uses Techstream
  • Mercedes uses STAR
  • Kia/Hyundai uses GDS
  • GM uses Tech II Win and something else for newer stuff.  HP tuners and EFI Live also work well but don't have BCM functionality.
  • Ford uses IDS

The factory stuff costs big money for legit copies.  I have managed to get cloned copies to work of all of the above options BUT its not for a novice.  

If you are looking for something that covers all vehicles and bi-directional and most factory capabilities like something an all makes indy shop would use, and you want current, the best option is going to be something big money from Snap-On.

If you just want something for checking to see if your gas cap is tight a plug in scanner is still the easiest and cheapest option.  

drock25too
drock25too New Reader
4/26/20 10:38 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I'm running that 98 Avenger with the v6 and I tow with a Chevy Truck, for now. May check out the HP Tuners stuff.  I have an older Novis scanner, just looking at upgrade options. If I could have it on pc it would take up less space.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
4/26/20 2:42 p.m.

The 98 Avenger is your garden variety OBD2, very little bidirection or mutiple modules like Body Control, ABS, Seats, Windows, Doors, etc.  Just simple stuff.

The Chevy, depending on the year, is gonna be pretty simple unless its like 2008 or so newer.  95 and older is a whole nother ball of wax, not a ton of support for those outside of some older OTC and Snap On stuff any more.  

HP Tuners and EFI Live are great for reflashing the stock engine and transmission computer, not so great for diagnosis other than the ECU/TCU.  The body control module and other modules only will talk to a GM Tech II or equivalent.

https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2Win-Diagnostic-Programming-System/dp/B074365Q6H

That right there will get you the GM stuff, for the Avenger any generic handheld would be fine.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CkgdhbqbE7AZjszQDS2QoCv5FXF3PNMz85gs3rIMUtg4WI3WfroOHbdWtI7J6rM9