1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/20/17 9:43 a.m.

Okay, we hear you guys. The entire crew is Mitty-bound right now. Once we're back, we'll report back regarding updates in the works.

Thanks for the passion.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/17 9:44 a.m.

I don't have any issue with the forum software. If you want to complain about a difficult forum to use try Saabnet.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/17 9:48 a.m.

I read the forum on my mobile a lot, and it is waaaay better than any other forum software I have ever used on a mobile.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
4/20/17 9:55 a.m.

The first time I was ever in the internet, the very first page I went to was GRM. I have zero computer knowledge. Everything I know how to do I learned it here. I post links the exact same way here as I do anywhere else, same with pictures. I had no idea what a hotlink was until the hotlink thread became a thing. I still have no idea what a hyperlink is but I know how to post a link, which is more than a lot here can say. If there is a different way I don't know any better. All the other forums I frequent still feel a little clunky because I learned here.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
4/20/17 10:06 a.m.

Keith reminded me, Multi quote would be a nice addition for those that like to reply to people. (i.e. it'd be nice to click every post that I wanted to quote as I read, then hit reply and it'd have them neatly stacked ready to quote in the advanced thread reply page).

If they are updating the software, fixing the carriage return would be super nice.

I do appreciate everything that is GRM. I just had gotten a bit frustrated this morning. There is much I love about the current software these are the few... issues i see everyday.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
4/20/17 10:07 a.m.
John Welsh wrote: Single Spaced or list. To make a single spaced paragraph break or to do a list you must put hit the space bar twice at the end of a line. By doing this you get a list I have hit the spacebar twice after every word in that list.

it's seriously that easy? ... maybe there needs to be a FYI for dummies on this board... 1 2 3 4.

The active preview is very useful btw.

edit. double spacebar does not work... 1

ahh, double space bar then return. which is the same thing code wise as a double return (return is two space's next to each other)

4 Looks like the forum treats them differently. (double spaced paragraph vs single)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/20/17 10:08 a.m.

The other BIG issue to deal with is that fact that we have soooo much Google juice on this forum because of its longevity. We migrate the forum somewhere else, we lose all of that search engine ranking. Right now, several threads come up as top-5 posts on search engines when common terms in our world are searched.

So, yes, we could migrate to another platform, but we couldn't afford to run it for very long and no one besides regular would ever know it existed. You want a busy forum with a few eccentricities or a lovely ghost town?

But we hear you, and the stuff you want is the stuff we want, too. In the meantime, it runs perfect, but you gotta pump it twice before you start it. Not fully twice, like one good one and a second mostly good one, and it starts every time and runs perfect. Unless you over do the second pump, in which case you have to wait more than 20 seconds, but less than 35, then do one-half pump, and IT RUNS PERFECT.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/20/17 10:09 a.m.

Xenforo and a migration project would be better than duct tape and bailing wire.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/20/17 10:09 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: In reply to John Welsh :now I know why my 'watched' don't show when I access my own profile .....thanks

I have added this thread to my watchlist and then I can easily retireve this thread and share the link to this thread to new users who I might encounter.

I will also add here a 6+ year old thread that I have "watched" about Code Words/Filtered Words

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/20/17 10:10 a.m.

You can manually do multiple quotes, but that would be useful feature to do it automatically with a click.

Mad_Ratel wrote: Keith reminded me, Multi quote would be a nice addition for those that like to reply to people. (
John Welsh wrote: Single Spaced or list. To make a single spaced paragraph break or to do a list you must put hit the space bar twice at the end of a line. By doing this you get a list I have hit the spacebar twice after every word in that list.
T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/20/17 10:18 a.m.

Wait, what is this preview function? I don't see it.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/17 10:21 a.m.

I want all my money back! Wait.... I like Keith's analogy. This car has been modded so much it's value is unique to its users, and it's not worth the hassle of trying to bolt the good stuff to another vehicle.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
4/20/17 10:21 a.m.
John Welsh wrote: I don't disagree that these uniqueness are harmful to gaining new users or to keeping the read-ability of the forum much clearer. I am however greatfull that this forum does not allow huge banner ads and signaure boxes at the bottom of every posting. I know some forums with that and hate the clutter it causes.

Soooo true

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/17 10:28 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: The other BIG issue to deal with is that fact that we have soooo much Google juice on this forum because of its longevity. We migrate the forum somewhere else, we lose all of that search engine ranking. Right now, several threads come up as top-5 posts on search engines when common terms in our world are searched.

That's actually a huge issue that I hadn't considered. I work in marketing, and I know how important SEO is. So I guess a full-scale migration to something like vBulletin is out.

Anyhow, my thoughts on the software are well-known. It is what it is, and I'm clearly willing to put up with it. And I'm glad you folks are listening and want to improve the experience for us. It's why I subscribe and post!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/20/17 10:35 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Wait, what is this preview function? I don't see it.

Down on the page, near where you would type new words, do you see a gray box titled Syntax Guide? If so, click on that box and change it to Preview. Now, when you write, you will also get a preview of how that writing is going to look when posted.

WilD
WilD Dork
4/20/17 10:41 a.m.

I actually like the forum the way it is, other than the lack of search capability.

Kreb
4/20/17 10:49 a.m.

Spangler: Are you just flipping back and forth between CC and here (like me)?

From a strictly design and layout standpoint, I find this forum is very easy to read, with a particularly clean design. Honestly, I think about its technical shortcomings maybe twice a year.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/17 10:52 a.m.

Every forum I'm on has it's quirks. My biggest complaint about this one is that five minutes of GRM time seems to be about half an hour in the rest of the world. What's up with that?

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/20/17 11:14 a.m.

In reply to APEowner:

It's still the 19th right?

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/20/17 11:15 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: The other BIG issue to deal with is that fact that we have soooo much Google juice on this forum because of its longevity. We migrate the forum somewhere else, we lose all of that search engine ranking. Right now, several threads come up as top-5 posts on search engines when common terms in our world are searched.

We have bent Google. I mean if we can make it known that Hennessy Honda Of Woodstock sucks. We can do anything.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
4/20/17 11:30 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: The other BIG issue to deal with is that fact that we have soooo much Google juice on this forum because of its longevity. We migrate the forum somewhere else, we lose all of that search engine ranking. Right now, several threads come up as top-5 posts on search engines when common terms in our world are searched. So, yes, we could migrate to another platform, but we couldn't afford to run it for very long and no one besides regular would ever know it existed. You want a busy forum with a few eccentricities or a lovely ghost town? But we hear you, and the stuff you want is the stuff we want, too. In the meantime, it runs perfect, but you gotta pump it twice before you start it. Not fully twice, like one good one and a second mostly good one, and it starts every time and runs perfect. Unless you over do the second pump, in which case you have to wait more than 20 seconds, but less than 35, then do one-half pump, and IT RUNS PERFECT.

I love this post. You sir get GRM people. Also you realize your post reads like a Holy GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrraaaaail reference?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/20/17 11:37 a.m.
John Welsh wrote:
T.J. wrote: Wait, what is this preview function? I don't see it.
Down on the page, near where you would type new words, do you see a gray box titled Syntax Guide? If so, click on that box and change it to Preview. Now, when you write, you will also get a preview of how that writing is going to look when posted.

I sure don't see a gray syntax guide box anywhere.

Kreb
4/20/17 11:40 a.m.
you gotta pump it twice before you start it. Not fully twice, like one good one and a second mostly good one, and it starts every time and runs perfect. Unless you over do the second pump, in which case you have to wait more than 20 seconds, but less than 35, then do one-half pump, and IT RUNS PERFECT.

British cars guys gotta have their moment.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/17 11:41 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Please, please, please, GRM. Embrace your uniqueness. There is such a dearth of diversity in forum software on the web. Keep what you have. Don't bow down to the oppressive demands of the Conformity Gestapo. It's perfect in its imperfection and endearingly singular. Please don't change a thing!

Me too. All the other forums I barely go to because same old crap. I like the way this one reads. Sure a couple more features would be nice, but I don't really care.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
4/20/17 11:42 a.m.

where you type your text, on the same line as your username should be a dark grey box. Mine says preview.

holy E36 M3 I just changed it to syntax guide, which is exactly what i've wished for for years. seriously, never noticed that you could change preview to syntax guide...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u92bnl0lVHEr27S6yZJpboY0BfUa7LuaYWvYgXanCFeM5lEJ5cDpbrovsP3NUQjI