Scott Lear
Scott Lear
9/11/08 12:20 p.m.

Never underestimate the power of a plan, particularly in competition. Every team that competes in our $200X Challenge events does so with some degree of premeditated intent. One peek at the Spotter’s Guide shows that the complexity of these schemes varies greatly from one team to another.

For some, the game plan consists simply of finding a cheap car, putting …

Read the rest of the story

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/11/18 4:48 p.m.

Still on my Challenge “Top 5.” The car was inspiring, terrifying, and HILARIOUS to watch on the auto-x course. And the team was super cool. Wish we’d had the chance to duke it out with them on the strip :/ 

te72
te72 Reader
6/11/18 11:49 p.m.

I took from this, "they made one solid run with the sucker system working." Yep, sounds about like Chaparral, and despite the troubles, it's still likely my favorite challenge car.

I think ol' Jim would have been proud.

Now I just need to get the idea of doing this myself with an auto-x car out of my head... the math alone is likely out of my wheel house. I do know a few engineers though... =P

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
6/12/18 3:02 a.m.

So nobody else has done a similar car since?  Or did it suckcessfully wink emulate the Chaparral 2J by also getting its brand of innovation banned?

We have to run a blower at our autocross courses to clean off the racing line, so GRM just needed to let this car run first....  Of course it probably could use a rock-collector bin too.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/12/18 6:36 a.m.

In reply to PT_SHO :

IIRC they did run pretty early, and the rooster-tail was berkeleying glorious.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/12/18 6:39 a.m.

This is the car that started my obsession with the challenge and building cheap cars.

Thanks for the reminder to stick to my plan. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SYhrZIhnsBqBaxk0DHIvgqDgWgRbuBptxrFDiFquHxAWtnXxrdTmxrBKXY1Jy2vi