1 2
LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/22 1:55 p.m.

As long as you run screaming from the turbo models you'll be fine. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/22 2:12 p.m.
LanEvo said:

As long as you run screaming from the turbo models you'll be fine. 

This is generally true for everything smiley

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
12/29/22 3:40 p.m.

Any thoughts on 328 vs 128 of the same vintage?  I've always liked the 128 because it's small (rare these days) but I'll admit a 328 coupe is a better looking car imho.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
12/29/22 9:48 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

Similar comments apply: most of the mechanicals are the same.  Also a great car.

Caperix
Caperix Reader
12/30/22 8:09 a.m.

The e9x 3 series and the e8x 1 series are mechanically the same car.  The difference in size comes mainly out of the rear seat & they are not much lighter.

The interior of the 1 always felt cheaper to me & the way the dash plastic clips together makes them develop speaks & rattles.

Other than oil leaks the n52 is a fairly reliable engine.  The starters are a little weak on them & tend to fail, normally it will start with a slow crank like a weak battery then not start at all.  The crankcase vent diaphragm in the valve cover rips & can cause running issues, there is an aftermarket repair kit but I have not personally used it.  The vanos cam timing system can develop issues especially if the car was not well cared for.  Some cars used a tamper proof torx bolt to hold the cam gears, these can break.  BMW replaced some with a recall to a standard torx bolt, then just put an extended warranty on them & did not replace unless they failed.  If you catch them before they fail the bolts can be replaced 1 at a time .

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MgM2mJJlnvLWOUpZTv6IbVSZL6eiNOa8OiUgNXjXaxBCOx2iRfho85QnC7uDILry