1 2
mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
2/15/22 12:58 a.m.

While scrolling through ads today, I was amused to see these two ads side by side. Two 911s just shy of 30 years apart, within $1000 of each other! smiley

Just curious which one most of you would pick?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/15/22 1:13 a.m.

The air cooled cars are a unique experience but the cost of entry is becoming ridiculous.

Can I have a 987.2 Cayman and $30k in the bank instead?

(If I have to pick, I'll take the oil leaker)

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
2/15/22 6:06 a.m.

Not a fan of the looks of the cab models, so old for me

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
2/15/22 8:56 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Unfortunately you will only have 20k left at most with a 987.2.  If it's a Pcar someone is currently asking or paying way too much.  

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/15/22 8:59 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Can I have a 987.2 Cayman and $30k in the bank instead?

(If I have to pick, I'll take the oil leaker)

Uh $15k, it's not 2019 anymore. But I agree with the concept.

And yes, if I had to choose, the one that has a roof and isn't about to grenade all the bearings and cylinder walls and has the correct number of driven wheels.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/15/22 9:19 a.m.

You know, you could do the same with Corvette–or even Mustang or Camaro. But, yeah, air-cooled prices have been on the rise. (For that kind of money, though, that SC should be in 3+ condition.)

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/15/22 1:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You know, you could do the same with Corvette–or even Mustang or Camaro. But, yeah, air-cooled prices have been on the rise. (For that kind of money, though, that SC should be in 3+ condition.)

I think the mid year 911 has gone up 

at one time everyone wanted a 1973 or earlier   or a 993

So the later 70s - 80s"crash bumper" cars were not as loved .......now they are :)

Its just harder to find a stock "crash bumper" model that has not been Turbo Looked. ( at least in California)

And now the first watercooled 996 have been going up , from the low low bottom they were at for many years.....

David S. Wallens
2/15/22 3:23 p.m.

Mid-year Porsche 911 prices have totally gone up. Just the other day–yet again–I upped the coverage on my '84 Carrera

Why the interest in these impact-bumper models? I think a few reasons:

For many of us, it's the model we grew up with. (I had a 930 poster on my bedroom wall.)

Galvanized, rust-resistant bodies.

Air-conditioning (kinda).

More power than most early cars. (A little heavier, yes, but still very good power.)

Durable, torquey engines, too.

Option of open or closed bodies. 

A long race pedigree just like the earlier ones. 

For something considered exotic, very usable and comfortable. 

And as the long-hood cars got so valuable, these became the next best things. So it's everything that makes an early 911 so good but a little more usable package. I pick up mine later today (time for an annual physical) and totally looking forward to the drive home. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/15/22 4:14 p.m.

I just have to consider the newer models for the enjoyment to condition ratio.  I do dig on the old stuff but it is all just so pricey and parts all have Porsche tax applied.  The last time I looked desirable stuff old stuff looked a lot like 2010-2017 stuff.  I'm not an apostle of them so they just represent a cool "IT" car to me.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/22 5:02 p.m.

I like the fact that a 2007 model is the "new" here.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/15/22 5:38 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

So the later 70s - 80s"crash bumper" cars were not as loved .......now they are :)

So, you're a newcomer to Porsche pricing are you?  I've got a GRM at home with one of the many 'Your first Porsche', or 'Affordable Porsche's under $10k' articles they have had over the years.  It  lists long hood  T's and E's as available under $10K as people don't want them, but they are great starter cars.  Then long hoods went nuts and short hoods SC'swere the budget point of entry.  At that time 964's were the red headed step children of the line up and you couldn't give them away, at one point 10-15 years ago a 964 RS America was a $15K car.  What's an RS AMerica these days?  $100K all day long.

I love all oil cooled 911's, and if a nice G50 Carrera ever gets back to $30K I'll be all over one, but I fear they have passed my price/value cross over a long time ago. 

David S. Wallens
2/15/22 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I think I know the guy who wrote that piece about sub-$10k Porsches.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/15/22 7:51 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
californiamilleghia said:

So, you're a newcomer to Porsche pricing are you? 

ummm,  not a newcomer at all ,  but I did forget to add that you can buy a crash bumper Turbo Look replica and take all that stuff off and backdate it  to a short hood like Singer does.......well Singer uses a 964 model but you get the idea......

......PS....do you have a cheap set of 911 2.0 solex carbs and aircleaners ?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/22 8:19 p.m.

I was a little kid when the impact bumpers came along. I probably didn't pay much attention to them for a few more years, but I've always preferred them to the earlier cars. When I first started dreaming about owning a 911, the long hood cars were the only ones that were affordable, and I passed on a lot of them.  Clearly, I'm stupid, but I still like the newer cars with their bigger bumpers, galvanized bodies and G50 transmissions. 

I was still a kid in 1983 when the first official Cabrios came along, but I never thought these cars looked right as a convertible. 

David S. Wallens
2/15/22 10:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I like the fact that a 2007 model is the "new" here.

I know, right? 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
2/15/22 10:25 p.m.

What is the current unappreciated hotness that the market is sleeping on? Something nobody likes right now is going to explode like E30M3s did a few years back.

For the record: I wouldn't want an air-cooled 911 that's worth that much. I'd feel too guilty to use it properly.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/22 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

Don't worry about what the market will think in 5 years. Worry about how you'll feel driving it tomorrow, or having it in your garage tonight, or wrenching on it this weekend. 

David S. Wallens
2/16/22 11:53 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

In reply to Cactus :

Don't worry about what the market will think in 5 years. Worry about how you'll feel driving it tomorrow, or having it in your garage tonight, or wrenching on it this weekend. 

Very good way of looking at things. 

David S. Wallens
2/16/22 11:53 a.m.
Cactus said:

What is the current unappreciated hotness that the market is sleeping on? Something nobody likes right now is going to explode like E30M3s did a few years back.

For the record: I wouldn't want an air-cooled 911 that's worth that much. I'd feel too guilty to use it properly.

And what to buy now? Something from our friends over at Classic Motorsports:

The classics you should buy now, according to the experts

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
2/16/22 12:15 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

In reply to Cactus :

I passed on an E30 M3 at about 15% of their current market value. I didn't like the car enough to buy it for cheap back then, only regret it for the same reason as people who wished they bought IBM back in the day. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/16/22 12:45 p.m.

I love the G body cars for the reasons David mentioned but the gap between their value and what they are worth to me are growing ever wider.

While I like newer Porsches (a lot) I don't love them enough to put down cold hard cash.

While I love the older cars I'm not spending 50-70K on something I'm going to flog, if I can't flog my hobby car I don't want it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/16/22 12:53 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

...While I love the older cars I'm not spending 50-70K on something I'm going to flog, if I can't flog my hobby car I don't want it.

Is there any reason why you can't flog an old 911?  I mean, the cars are certainly getting more expensive, but the price of an engine rebuild remains similar to what it was years ago.  In a way, it's MORE affordable to flog an old 911 now (an engine rebuild is a smaller percentage of value the of the car).

Years ago, a blown engine might total a 911's.  Not today.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/16/22 1:43 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I was a little kid when the impact bumpers came along. I probably didn't pay much attention to them for a few more years, but I've always preferred them to the earlier cars. When I first started dreaming about owning a 911, the long hood cars were the only ones that were affordable, and I passed on a lot of them.  Clearly, I'm stupid, but I still like the newer cars with their bigger bumpers, galvanized bodies and G50 transmissions. 

I was still a kid in 1983 when the first official Cabrios came along, but I never thought these cars looked right as a convertible. 

I'm with you.  I was 5 when the impact bumpers came out, so as a kid they were the 'new' ones, there fore the better ones in my mind.  Later as a teen in the 80's, there was nothing cooler than a new 911, so my preference continued.  It was probably the mid 90's and heading into my late 20's before I began to appreciate the lines of the long hoods and preferences started to change.  But it was a few more years until I got to drive one.  Now I'd take any decent oil cooled car if and when good ones get back to $30K

David S. Wallens
2/16/22 1:51 p.m.

So, talking about Porsches that have left a mark. While picking up my car last night, I talked to my mechanic a bit. He's been working with (and racing) Porsches since he was a teen in the '70s and has owned a lot of cool cars over the years: 911, 914-6, 944, etc., etc. 

Yesterday he showed up in something that rarely leaves his garage. It's factory Porsche Special Wishes stuff, down to the color, the roll bar, the body work and even the paint to sample color. That is the car we all wanted back in the day. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/16/22 2:16 p.m.
aircooled said:
Tom1200 said:

...While I love the older cars I'm not spending 50-70K on something I'm going to flog, if I can't flog my hobby car I don't want it.

Is there any reason why you can't flog an old 911?  I mean, the cars are certainly getting more expensive, but the price of an engine rebuild remains similar to what it was years ago.  In a way, it's MORE affordable to flog an old 911 now (an engine rebuild is a smaller percentage of value the of the car).

Years ago, a blown engine might total a 911's.  Not today.

Smaller percentage, yeah, but same five digit price tag in most cases. Some parts are getting scarce too, there's something of a limited quantity of good quality main bearings out there and they cost basically 10x what bearings for most other engines cost as a result.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lbbxC5kW75slfQbRgxYvJ91HLP7qWwJNjJmK2kAcLP7rsZlmVKCQJG9iDXlcAg85