Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/12/21 12:40 p.m.

I could have asked this in my beater Boxster build thread, but I guess its going to be relevant to a lot of people with modernish, DIYable Porsches, especially th e986, 987, 996, 997 crowd.

So, for reading and clearing all codes on Porsche's, what's the best code reader out there?  You can get the Durametric tool from Pelican etc. for about $300, but that's just the cable and software to run on your PC.  There are 'durametric' readers on Amazon from just over $100, but do they do everything that the 'real' tool can?  IS there a standard go too tool that people use?

Note.  For non Porsche people, no a regular OBDII tool wont work, that's really just for the emissions stuf.  I need to read and clear codes on my air bag system, and I'm still chasing what appears to be an issue with the trans temp sensor and immobilizer stopping the car starting unless theirs something, anything, plugged into the OBDII sensor.

Hoping AAZCD will pop in here with his usual words of wisdom.

TIA

spandak
spandak Dork
4/12/21 12:42 p.m.

In for insight.

Standard code reader is almost useless.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/12/21 12:46 p.m.

I got this one for my 981 Cayman:

ICarSoft

It reads all the codes and I used it to reset my oil change indicator.  It also looks like you can use it for ABS service mode.  

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
4/12/21 12:54 p.m.

I bought the "Durametric-style" tool and it flat out wouldn't interface with my 911.  Wasted $60 or 70 as I recall.  In my case I forgot to disconnect the battery before I  removed the door airbag to replace the window regulator.  I tried to not shell out the cash for a Durametric, but did because all sources pointed to it being the right tool to clear that code.  After I bought it, I found it very useful for code purposes, but also as a health monitoring tool for things like cam deviation.  I don't think the 3-VIN version can do immobilizer/key stuff, though my only attempt was related to diagnosing my keyfob.  I had a good pill in the one key I had so I never had immobilizer specific issues with my car.

4/12/21 1:07 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

This one?

iCarsoft Auto Diagnostic Scanner POR V2.0 for Porsche with ABS Scan,Oil Service Reset ect

Jeff (Gearheadotaku) brought one of those over a few weeks ago, and it couldn't read anything wrong, but after clearing codes with it, the car started, ran for about a second then stopped.  That's when we tried plugging in a dead OBDII Dongle and discovered that as long as something is plugged in, the car will start and run just fine, other than the temp sensor issue.

I guess that I need the real deal.  Does the $300 cable/software kit limit you to three VINs? What's the cost for unlimited VINs vs thee VINs?  Does the cable software limit the number of computers it can be installed on?

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/12/21 3:41 p.m.

Spring for the Durametric.  Of note -- it 'marries' to your VIN, and I think you can only have 3 VINs for the enthusiast model.  Sorry for all you guys with 4+ Porsches in the barn.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/21 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

This is very timely, as I've been thinking about about getting the Durametric tool, mainly to reset the service reminder. I don't really see myself using it for anything else, but that reminder is super annoying when I start the car. 

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/12/21 5:09 p.m.
Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
4/12/21 6:15 p.m.

The $300 Enthusiast Durametric does limit you to three VINs and will work with those three cars only.  You occasionally see cheaper second hand units on Pelican claiming one or two slots remaining, but you can't tell how many slots have been used visually.  That's why I bought new.  As far as I know, the computer(s) used is irrelevant.  The Pro version costs more, but has  no  VIN limitation.  It may have additional functionality in the software as well though.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/21 7:55 p.m.
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) said:

Spring for the Durametric.  Of note -- it 'marries' to your VIN, and I think you can only have 3 VINs for the enthusiast model.  Sorry for all you guys with 4+ Porsches in the barn.

Personally, the issue for me isn't that I have 4+ Porsches right now, it's that I'm likely to have that many over the next 10 years. ADD is a serious disease. laugh

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/12/21 11:20 p.m.

I got my Durametic from Rennlist with one VIN remaining for a little over $100 if I recall correctly and it did everything I needed. When I sold the Cayman handed it over to the new owner. 

4/13/21 9:55 a.m.
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) said:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1043/POR_1043_TOLTOL_pg9_diagnostic-scanners.htm

See, the first one on the page you list is this:

Porsche Schwaben Pro Scan Tool for Porsche

But is says "With the Schwaben Pro Scan Tool you have full access to all of the OBD-II controlled systems on your Porsche vehicles. Diagnose and reset your check engine light, pull codes, stream live data from the OBD, and also perform some advanced functions such as actuation, adaptation and programming (check full list of available functions in link below)."

It does list things below, but I don't think it has everything I need.  I need to access the supplementary restraint system, the immobilizer and the trans.  I don't think this can do it.

Then there's 'Porsche Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche with OBDII port, up to MY 2015, Enthusiast Package, Option 1 (up to 3 VIN numbers)' which is the one I think I want.  Limited to three vins, but covers cars from 1996-2015, there are also version for pre 96 cars, post 2015 cars (I think) and 'Professional' version with unlimited VIN's, but in those there's option 1 and option 2, I'm not sure what they are.  I don't mind springing $280 for the enthusiast package, option 1, but I want to be sure it can do everything I need it too before buying.  That's why I'm hoping for AASCD to chime in.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/13/21 11:59 a.m.

What does the local Porsche shop use ?

I know there was the same problem with Maserati 4200 as far as resetting the key etc ,  they always said it was a dealer only fix , 

I am sure the guys on Pelican forum will have the real world advise.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
5/28/21 8:17 p.m.

Did you end up getting one of these things?

5/29/21 10:00 a.m.

Not yet. Soon though. The car is drivable and so much is happening in life that I haven't had time. I will update this when I do. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
5/29/21 12:17 p.m.

Thanks. I've been thinking about one for a long time, but I've yet to pull the trigger. The three VIN thing annoys me, but realistically, I'll probably never see that fourth modern Porsche from this point forward.

I got an email from Pelican advertising 20% off the Schwaben tools this weekend. I haven't even looked at those, but I thought about this thread when I saw it.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_STTOL3-detail.htm

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/19/21 5:22 p.m.

I just ordered the Durametric from Pelican.

They issued me a store credit for the Schwaben tool that refused to reset the oil light, as it is advertised to do.frown

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/20/21 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Just changed the oil in my wife's Cayenne Diesel.  Reset the oil light and intermediate service light with my iCarSoft Por ii.  Thing works great, but I'm not sure if it'll retract the rear brake caliper pistons and I know it can't reset airbag lights like the Foxwell tool can.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/21 10:42 a.m.

If you plan on keeping the car long term get the real Durametric and watch for Black Friday sales.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/20/21 2:13 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

What sucks is the Durametric doesn't work all that well (if at all) on my 996. 

11/20/21 2:48 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Weird because it worked well on mine.  Is the turbo ECU that different?  Have you asked on RL and contacted Durametric?  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/20/21 5:43 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It's it doesn't work on the 996 or doesn't work on the Cayenne.  Can't remember which but it wouldn't work on both cars, which is why I haven't bothered to buy it

11/20/21 6:46 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Really?  It looks like you are covered to me.  

http://www.durametric.com/porsche-911-turbo.aspx

Call them or call Charles' dad at LN.  His dad answers the phone and takes the orders.  They usually have a few great deals for Black Friday too.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4cJPeYZX7Rnwe6R7DSde9kKmOGZ8M1Ar00WIFudTwHCsSPtzAoTF83Iv0Pyd1YEu