David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/19/23 8:59 p.m.

A good friend needs to replace the clutch in her 1993 Jeep Wrangler. It has the 4.0L inline-six. It's red in color. 

She's out in San Diego and was quoted $1650 for the job. That seems a bit high considering an Exedy clutch kit costs about $160 at Rock Auto. Then add the usual slave cylinder, gaskets, etc.

Am I missing something here, or is this shop overcharging her? 

(Sorta of related: Anyone have a trusted shop in San Diego?)

Thanks.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/19/23 9:17 p.m.

No clue about Jeeps - not my thing.

But latest info from the So Cal scene - Just got three quotes for my EVO clutch. Doesn't need it, but while I was doing my T belt last weekend, was asking couple of places for future reference. 

OEM exedy clutch + labor, slave cylinder, gaskets+fluid = $1850-$2100 3 shops in LA/SD.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/19/23 9:46 p.m.

Cherokee unibody or framed Wrangler?  Wrangler is cake.  Cherokee not so much.  I did a TJ a while back with the 2.5, and it was less than 4 hours flat rate.

Don't use Rock Auto pricing as a direct comparison, unless you wish to supply the parts and forgo any shop warranty.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/19/23 9:46 p.m.

Cali labor rates are stupid high, as evidenced about the dodge ram rearend repair thread.

I assume it is a wrangler/cherokee which are about a 3-4hr job for r&i. That's $800. The clutch you get for $160 is doubled in price for customer pay, $320 now. Plus the aforementioned incidentals. It's not $1600 worth but a grand is easily spent now.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/19/23 9:51 p.m.

I paid 2300 with taxes here in Truckee CA for a 96 cherokee. I had no options as I needed the car fast. That was replace all parts in the middle.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/23 9:52 p.m.

That is on par with what I paid for my Subaru clutch in Northern California. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/23 10:07 p.m.

Telling a shop "I can get that clutch for $160 from Rock Auto!" is a great first step towards having to change your own clutch. 

David S. Wallens
1/19/23 10:09 p.m.

My bad, Wrangler–like, a Jeep, Jeep. 

David S. Wallens
1/19/23 10:09 p.m.

And I brought up the Rock Auto priece. She told me $1650, and I thought, That seems a bit high....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/19/23 10:40 p.m.

If I have a shop do work on my vehicles I never look at parts costs on Rock Auto. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/20/23 12:50 a.m.

Stupid question.  It's been too many years ago to mention but I had some work done in Tijuana ( just across the border ) for a tiny fraction of what was asked in San Diego. .   
  I sat and waited and all new parts were used and more care than was typical in A San Diego repair shop. 
      Is that still possible?  

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/20/23 7:33 a.m.

The most bare bones clutch job I'd do in my shop (clutch kit, flywheel, release bearing/slave, pilot, new trans fluid, new clutch fluid) comes to $1297.83 5.6 for heavy lifting, .2 to R&I pilot, .3 to bleed hydraulics 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/23 7:45 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

A good friend needs to replace the clutch in her 1993 Jeep Wrangler. It has the 4.0L inline-six. It's red in color. 

I think everyone here missed this is a red Jeep ... obviously the high performance version and therefore uses a much more expensive clutch cheeky

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
1/20/23 8:02 a.m.

Is it 4x4 is another question.  

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
1/20/23 8:49 a.m.
Byrneon27 said:

The most bare bones clutch job I'd do in my shop (clutch kit, flywheel, release bearing/slave, pilot, new trans fluid, new clutch fluid) comes to $1297.83 5.6 for heavy lifting, .2 to R&I pilot, .3 to bleed hydraulics 

Byrneon27 is in York PA.  $350 more in San Diego (does the 1650 include sales tax?) on a 6+ hour job does not feel outrageous if they're changing all the same parts.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/20/23 9:36 a.m.
clownkiller said:

Is it 4x4 is another question.  

I was told this was a large chunk of hte labor cost.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/23 1:18 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

If I have a shop do work on my vehicles I never look at parts costs on Rock Auto. 

I buy parts from Rock Auto because it is cheaper than my cost from suppliers.

Gauging repair shop bills vs. buying parts from a wholesaler is like going to a restaurant and wondering how they can charge $15 for 25¢ worth of noodles and some mooshed tomatoes.

The last time I did a clutch in a Wrangler was about ten years ago and the bill ran about $8000.  I also had to cut out and recap the frame because the trans crossmember/skidplate was held in by two bolts on the right side.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/20/23 2:21 p.m.

Crickey.  The clutch job in my Nissan truck years ago was $350.  I guess I'll do the next one.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/20/23 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's why I don't compare the two costs.  I pay the man and move on to gouging my customers for hoses and gasket material (JK, I would never do that).

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/20/23 3:06 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
The last time I did a clutch in a Wrangler was about ten years ago and the bill ran about $8000.  

surprise devil cheeky

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/20/23 3:07 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's why I don't compare the two costs.  I pay the man and move on to gouging my customers for hoses and gasket material (JK, I would never do that).

Yup my math is, if I will pay the shop 9.2 hours of book time to do my EVO clutch, when it needs it,  I will just figure out a way to make a lot more money in that same 9 hours ;)

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/23 4:15 p.m.

Seems in line with what I'd expect a shop to charge for a clutch replacement...   

I just tried to have the 4l80e replaced in my 2000 k2500 4wd 6.5l truck.  I couldn't justify paying for a new transmission ($4k installed), and of the other 3 shops I called who said they would install a used transmission from the local, respected truck junk yard, 0 never actually got back to me with a quote & drop off date.  I was expecting was expecting in the $2200 range, with about $900 being the tranny...

I ended up doing it myself as I spent nearly 20% of the time of the replacement time on the phone trying to get someone else to do the job.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2nQnzWaSh5ZJTfUC9G7c0v18lSs76OktTdviCdFGk7DWnlwtIqoLgj3JdWkUzJdq