1 2 3 4
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/17/22 4:13 p.m.

I checked on that '07 and it's sold. $3,998 from a decent used car dealer that seems to specialize in high mile, well maintained cars (got my Sequoia from them two years ago). The 2nd gen cars look like a good buy for my daughter.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/17/22 4:30 p.m.

$4k asking price for 300k miles...wow.  Prices on Prius seem to be up about $1k in the week since gas went to $4.  

The day before Putin invaded Ukraine I sold 225k for $4k and, that was a sorted car sold to a friend of the family.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
3/18/22 11:57 a.m.
pheller said:

Man, what ya'll are willing to pay for one of these has me wondering if I shouldn't drop a 2016 motor into my oil-burning 2010 and sell for a price that'll make it worth my while.

I've had the same thought with our 2010. 1 qt/800 miles is getting old, but the car is so damned good otherwise. I wonder if there's a magical piston soak that works for these. I did that to a couple of dual cam Saturns years ago with excellent results.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/18/22 5:26 p.m.
Powar said:
pheller said:

Man, what ya'll are willing to pay for one of these has me wondering if I shouldn't drop a 2016 motor into my oil-burning 2010 and sell for a price that'll make it worth my while.

I've had the same thought with our 2010. 1 qt/800 miles is getting old, but the car is so damned good otherwise. I wonder if there's a magical piston soak that works for these. I did that to a couple of dual cam Saturns years ago with excellent results.

Do either of you guys, or anyone else for that matter, want to sell me their Prius?

I'm looking at this Gen 1 and came to this thread to read John's buyers guide.  Contacte seller and it has a few cells in the batter that need replaced.

John, I see that you try to steer folks away from the first gen.  Are they not as reliable?

Edit:  I've got a 370hp Super Charged Jaguar XJR to offer in trade if that entices anyone

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/18/22 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Caveat:  I have no Gen1 expereince.  

But, what I hear is for the little money more for a Gen2, the Gen2 is sooo much better.  Now, as the market changes, that price difference may increase.  The further issue is that Gen1 cars were sold in small numbers and there is little to no support for battery.  The Gen1 battery is different.  Gen2 batteries do not work with Gen1.  My real fear of them is battery and battery resources  

Gen2s can be made to work with Gen3 batteries but no such resource for Gen1s.   

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/19/22 8:55 a.m.

I'll agree on the Gen1 Priuses being much smaller in numbers.  I see Gen2 and newer cars just about every time I go somewhere.  I think I've seen no more than a half-dozen Gen1 cars since they first came out 20+ years ago. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/19/22 9:13 a.m.

One source for US Prius sales per year.

Gen1 01-03
Gen2 04-09
Gen3 10-16

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/19/22 9:19 a.m.

I was surprised to see that via car-part.com, my Prius dismantler has whole Gen1 batteries for $400.  Seems cheap but could be risky.  Seems that gets you a used, on the shelf, battery.  How long has that battery been on the shelf???  It's a 20 year old battery at this point.  

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/20/22 1:53 p.m.

Mine is definitely up for sale as I just don't have the time to put a motor in it. It's beat up, but runs good aside from the oil burning. 

Im in Northern Arizona. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/22 2:53 p.m.

I wouldn't get a Gen 1 just because it is an Echo with a hybrid system wedged in.  It is not nearly as nice of a vehicle as the later ones that were more or less designed around the hybrid system.

3/30/22 9:01 a.m.

Once I start looking at a particular model car that looks interesting, it's hard to stop. There's a Copart car up later today that is being re-sold by a dealer, probably because they couldn't sell it on the lot. Here's the service report that probably shows why they are dumping it.

Would this be terrible to DIY fix? The car is an '05 and looks decent. It does "run and drive".  250k miles on it.  My reason for buying would be to satisfy my Prius curiosity and give it to family as a daily commuter if it repairs okay. What would John do?

Follow up Edit:

I had a couple emails with John and decided that car was too risky without seeing it in person first. There was a much lower mile '05 with collision damage (driver's door and front fender) in the same auction and I got it with an $1,150 bid (even though I didn't plan to go over $1,000). As-is, it's good enough to register in Oklahoma and drive in a 'Gambler 500' with a ratchet strap holding the door shut. I plan to let my 'collision shop working - pretty much son-in-law' have it to repair and commute with, but first I need to Learn me some Prius. Thread to follow after delivery.

I watched the auction for the 250K mile one and bidding got to $900, which is much more than I'd pay, but probably less than the "On Approval" reserve the seller has in mind. 3/31 update note: The car didn't sell and is still on Copart. It shows a $2,200 Buy Now price and starting bid at $1,000. I bet the reserve is the Buy Now price.

Here's mine:

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/30/22 10:29 a.m.

The national trend is a Prius factory cat is very valuable, like more than $1k. A hybrid battery pack will bring $300-$500.

Buy rough Prius, sell the cat and battery. Send the rest to Copart for unsuspecting buyer. 

I have not bought from Copart but engine codes and smoke test sounds like unhappy from missing O2 sensor that left with the cat. Needs hybrid battery if it's even there. 

But, is this seller the the one who is doing the deceiving or the one who was deceived? 

A quality cat will run $500. A cheapo that might not pass emissions testing runs $100 plus $50 for O2 sensor. A hybrid battery is $300-$500. Four cheapo tires can be mounted for $300. 

So,$600 to $1,300 additional will have you in a runner. Buy from copart for $1000 and youll have a runner for $1600-$2300 that you can sell for $4k

My cynical side says someone will bid this past $2k because they think it has a valuable cat. The listing doesn't clearly say if it's there. Everyone knows that's the deciding factor.... It ain't there. 

How about pics/listing? 

... Jwelsh02.... Yahoo 

I just bought a Prius with no cat but it went to Indy Guy for finalizing. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/today-i-bought-a-used-prius/123642/page11/

I just noticed that it needs front brakes. If that means abs controller, that's a death nail, expensive repair. That there might be the reason the good parts were harvested off it.  

I recommend passing at any price. 

Otherwise front brakes pads and rotors are cheap and no different that any other fwd'er. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/30/22 10:39 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I wouldn't get a Gen 1 just because it is an Echo with a hybrid system wedged in.  It is not nearly as nice of a vehicle as the later ones that were more or less designed around the hybrid system.

Just to clarify... a Gen 1 shares some looks with an Echo but it definitely isn't an Echo.  Its significantly bigger and shares the platform with the 2nd gen prius (as well as a ton of other Toyota FWDs, but not the Echo).

The Gen 2 is a better car in pretty much every way though.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/30/22 4:09 p.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

I had a couple emails with John and decided that car was too risky without seeing it in person first. There was a much lower mile '05 with collision damage (driver's door and front fender) in the same auction and I got it with an $1,150 bid (even though I didn't plan to go over $1,000). As-is, it's good enough to register in Oklahoma and drive in a 'Gambler 500' with a ratchet strap holding the door shut. I plan to let my 'collision shop working - pretty much son-in-law' have it to repair and commute with, but first I need to Learn me some Prius. Thread to follow after delivery.

Your color is Tideland Peal color code 6S9 a gray-green offered only in '04 & '05.  I quickly went to car-part and for Oklahoma this yard in Tulsa shows the two doors and fender needed, in your color code.  Asking $150 per door and $50 for the fender.  Ask for a quantity discount or just offer $100 per door or $250 for 3 parts.  The right color could save you a ton.  I'm not sure exactly what town you're in.  You might want to search again via zip code.  

Search CL/FB for both keywords Prius and Prius Parts.  

Gambler??? https://priusoffroad.com/products

3/30/22 4:36 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks, that's easy for family to pick up during a lunch break.

...Gambler

Brent and Nikki already borrowed my CR-V for an off-road event. I bet they will Gamble the Prius if the extent of damage makes the full repair impractical.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/22 1:55 p.m.

Crazy market Prius pricing...maybe?

Yes, all car pricing is currently crazy but I came across this 2008 Prius claiming to only have 18k miles.  Asking price $14.5k

But, in the current market:

200k Gen2 Prius are selling for $4,500
100k Gen2 Prius are selling for $9,000
near 0k Gen2 Prius asking $14,500

If a Prius has a reasonable life of 300k, it seems the market price is $4,500 per 100k.  $4,500 x 3 = $13,500.  Not too overpriced.  

I looked at Cravana and they are asking $18k for a 56,000 mile 2010 and they are just under $30k for a sub two year old model with 18k-ish. Compared to the newish models, this ole 2008 is half priced.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
3/31/22 4:23 p.m.

Do Prius  battery packs go dead after sitting all those years ?

there must have been times since 2008 that they were low....

just asking ☺️

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/22 4:29 p.m.

I don't know if batteries go bad for non-use.  Good question. 

In personal experience, I have owned Prius that really weren't driven in 2 years with no hybrid battery problems. 

I do know that people are using newer Gen3 batteries in Gen2s. The Gen3 went until 2016 I think. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/1/22 3:58 p.m.
Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
4/1/22 8:21 p.m.
Powar said:

Not on the Prius but on the AZ engines in the Camry and others I have used BG Products MOA - Motor Oil Additive.  Put it in the oil and run the engine for a little while.  I drove my daughter's for about 30 minutes to get it hot and let it do its magic.  Completed the oil change immediately while still hot and the oil consumption went from 1 qt/5-600 miles to almost 1 qt/2,000 miles.  I switched over to synthetic at that time.  My thinking was that it was less likely to sludge up on the rings.  So far, so good.  I do know of others who used MOA and had to do it 2 or 3 times to get results.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
4/1/22 8:24 p.m.
pheller said:

Mine is definitely up for sale as I just don't have the time to put a motor in it. It's beat up, but runs good aside from the oil burning. 

Im in Northern Arizona. 

PM Sent

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8KPnJdtWZvQ5Ihknj6A5y1rd8rKHtmwTQhnwiHWzL4ewuGAxIEH0blEdEH3LqV6