1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
10/10/18 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Austincrx :

IIRC 4" is the minimum thickness for this lift.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/10/18 9:52 a.m.

I have a Rotary Revolution 2-post (made by Direct, or Forward lifts; it's all a sticker game), and it called for 4" slab.  Most hoists seem to require minimum 4".

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 10:38 a.m.

My 10k Bendpak two-post calls for 4".

te72
te72 Reader
10/10/18 10:18 p.m.
Austincrx said:

What was the thickness of the garage floor pad that was required for this lift?  I have access to a used version, but I'm not sure if my 4-inch thick garage floor will be enough to support the 2-post structure, and I don't have the room for a 4-post.  22ft. deep garage is only barely enough for my 20 ft long truck, let alone a 4-post lift that will accommodate it.

thanks!!

For what it's worth, I hang one end of the car off the edge of my four post, depending on what job I need to do. Long as the lift can safely support the wheel base of the vehicle you're putting on there, I would be comfortable under it. NOW... disclaimer time, my lift is a 7k pound rated capacity, and I've never put a car heavier than 4k on it.

I would consult with a reputable lift manufacturer such as Bendpak, Ranger, those sorts of folks, see what they have to say about your situation.

te72
te72 Reader
10/10/18 10:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

My 10k Bendpak two-post calls for 4".

That's interesting, most of the two posters I looked at all called for a 6" slab. Or... perhaps it was more the psi of the concrete that was more critical, I forget now, it's been a few years since doing all my research.

aribert
aribert New Reader
10/20/18 9:53 a.m.

The installation instructions for one of my Rotary lifts (found online) had info on slab requirements including minimum size and thickness if cutting out and replacing the slab locally.  My assymetrical lift, bought from the Ford Rouge plant, had an extra 6 inch wide plate welded to the base for both additional mounting studs and to get the load spread over a greater area.

antig24
antig24
3/23/20 4:04 p.m.

How's the lift holding up? Have you guys had anything wider on it like a C5 or C6Z06? I'm curious to see how the lift arms will line up with the jacking points and if they'll fit under the car.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/23/20 4:29 p.m.

So far so good! 

I've had all kinds of stuff on it, including full-size trucks and a new handicap van. The wide stuff is a tight fit, but does indeed fit. 

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
3/23/20 5:39 p.m.

We had a surprise when we purchased and installed our lift. When to the US distributor for the brand we bought and ordered/paid on site and trailered it home (30 miles - lucky us).  We knew we were a bit ceiling limited so compromised on a bottom cable tray model that was a tad shorter than the ceiling. Surprise, surprise - got it home and discovered they had not loaded the right model - instead, a top cable, taller model. First thought was to load it up - heavy - and take it back and provide appropriate feedback. We had a "wait a minute" moment and discovered the lift as designed was about 6 inches too tall. The top fixture which mounts some of the pulleys is bolted to the top of the uprights. Why not just drill new holes in the uprights 6 inches lower and adjust the cable length with shims. Fortunately we did not need to shorten the uprights. Took some time to drill the holes as the steel was some tough stuff. Worked out great and we got a lift custom fit to our garage - just by chance of course. 

And we quickly learned - there is no substitute for a lift - especially when one is getting a tad older and less flexible.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
WdWZPb5xlTOOi98h4ZZmTsStvG2htndp20Y7d4KeDyy01nNvQsROfOPlwD39CXPW