Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/6/19 9:25 a.m.
feature_image

When we found our car, it had been sitting outside for quite a while. The years and elements had not been kind. But while the car was badly faded, it was mostly original paint, as only the left rear quarter and a bit of the taillight panel had been repainted.

To add insult to the injury that this poor car …

Read the rest of the story

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/6/19 9:35 a.m.

cool.  good PDR folks amaze me. 

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/6/19 7:08 p.m.

Would really love to see some DIY on paintless dent removal.  It seems to be a big secret.

Yeah, I get that it's a skill, but everyone starts somewhere, and Mrs. BDT's car looks like a golf ball after parking under a tree for 10 years.  

The PDR guys are more secretive than a CIA double agent.

Show you how you do a simple door ding?  I'd have to kill you afterwards.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/6/19 7:09 p.m.

There’s a bunch of good stuff on YouTube. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/8/19 12:51 p.m.

As you can see, it starts with some pretty serious tools and special lights. He was still using those lights in the bright Florida sun.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/8/19 12:55 p.m.

I had a PDR guy took out a nasty dent in my FJ and wife's lexus. This was our first time using a PDR guy. I couldn't believe the after. I saw him work, he was literally like magic with his hammers, heat, etc. Car looks perfect after. Cost me $270 for both. 

Guy was interesting (old guy, in his early 60s). Says he makes a living, fixing hail repair in the midwest for insurance companies. They call him, when they have 10-12 cars, he goes out and takes his crew there and knock it out. 

Lives out west, drives midwest, works for insurance, makes big $$ staying out for 8 weeks, and comes home. 

Truly an artform.

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
9/8/19 8:23 p.m.

I always use brake fluid for dentless paint removal.

Oh... wait...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/8/19 8:33 p.m.

Cool thread. yes

I'll try to save it but....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yXlGZpe9b6llo1LpJLZyvexkyDBznUzA2yQyevk0EDHIShct1cITuTdftvvoMglb