David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/2/19 12:01 p.m.
feature_image

Daytona: Petty, Andretti, Haywood and, now, us.

It wasn’t our first trip through the Tri-Oval, but last time there, our 2019 Honda Civic Si ran into a small issue: As we entered the banking, we tripped nearly every warning possible.

We think that the car’s internal g-meter plus full throttle plus 31 degrees of banking freaked out the car’s …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
8/2/19 12:24 p.m.

Also, I forget, who here owns the #71 Dodge? I purposely jumped in behind you on grid just so I could watch and hear you on the banks. I was able to stay with you in the infield but, yeah, once things opened up, nope. Thanks for bringing out something that's so cool. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/2/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm pretty sure that's VegasNick.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/2/19 1:24 p.m.

You could easily hear him on the banking. It was amazing. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/2/19 1:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Also, I forget, who here owns the #71 Dodge? I purposely jumped in behind you on grid just so I could watch and hear you on the banks. I was able to stay with you in the infield but, yeah, once things opened up, nope. Thanks for bringing out something that's so cool. 

this made me smile 

Dogboy
Dogboy New Reader
8/2/19 3:55 p.m.

We love our new 2019 Civic Si. Hawk does not show a 2019 car, nor the Si model. In their drop down menus.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/2/19 4:38 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

That reminds me of the guy with the IMSA Challenger that came to the competition you guys had... Not the street car one, a few years ago.  500 or so inches of hemi going down the back straight got some good writing to describe it.

David S. Wallens
8/2/19 5:49 p.m.
Dogboy said:

We love our new 2019 Civic Si. Hawk does not show a 2019 car, nor the Si model. In their drop down menus.

Let me find a part number. 

VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/3/19 3:28 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Hey man, that was me!! Thank you for the bad ass pic! And...thank you for helping bring this event to Daytona! I am looking forward to many more to come! 

After we do a few more car shows, she's going in for some major surgery. New motor is already in the machine shop, and we have an NV3500 sitting in the shop. I am hoping this will fix the issues in the twisties. That tired old 904 transmission hunting for gears really makes it difficult, but man, you just can't have this much fun anywhere else. It was great to see you guys out there. 

See ya next time! 

VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/3/19 3:31 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

Hey Jordan,

It was great to finally meet you as well! 

David S. Wallens
8/7/19 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Dogboy :

The front pad number for the 2019 Civic Si should be HB875x.666. 

I want to confirm via the packing slip. 

USGUYS
USGUYS New Reader
8/10/19 8:46 a.m.

I track my 2018 Civic Type R.  Does the problem you were having seems to occur only at Daytona?  I have a problem with fuel starvation in long corners with low fuel.  
Car wil go to limp-mode if the starvation lasts more than a second or two.
I have not had to do the pedal dance to truly enjoy the car.
Hope you will come up to Bowling Green for the SCCA Nation Time Trials Championships.

David S. Wallens
8/11/19 9:58 a.m.

In reply to USGUYS :

Yep, only at Daytona--and only that first time. 

Since we have gotten several questions about this, let me sum up everything: 

With the VSA turned on, our Civic Si has been totally fine at VIR and the FIRM. No lights, no issues, no nothing. (And by "VSA turned on," I mean that we simply started the car and hit the track.)

With the VSA turned on, the first time we visited Daytona we had issues–and that didn't happen until we got onto the banking. We're assuming that full throttle plus 31-degrees of banking and, maybe, some steering input upset things.

After doing the "pedal dance," the car was totally fine at Daytona. Not one issue. We didn't just turn off VSA via the button since we just wanted to turn off everything. 

From what we have heard, the Type R's VSA can be fully disabled in the R+ mode. But we don't have that on our Civic Si. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgQ16ipfG6fDBSGAjX1g6nbwZ7W8mwrPPuZ7os1ObEMMpSZXY3O7psABFzuDkdwP