David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/30/19 12:43 p.m.
feature_image

It was an evening of firsts:

• First-ever Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack held at the Florida International Rally & Motorsports Park.

• First spirited outing with our Civic Si project car—full rundown to come in a few paragraphs.

• And our first celebratory dinner eaten in a Publix parking lot. We’ll get to that, too.

The …

Read the rest of the story

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/30/19 12:53 p.m.

I really want one of these to be my next track car. Looking forward to more on track shenanigans. 

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 3:35 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I really want one of these to be my next track car. Looking forward to more on track shenanigans. 

It's very much an easy button. Glad to see the limited-slip diff remain part of the Si package. Thank you, Honda. 

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 3:37 p.m.

And hope that everyone appreciated the photo of the car alongside the airplanes. I could have gotten a tick while taking that photo. 

USGUYS
USGUYS New Reader
4/30/19 4:25 p.m.

I have been tracking my CTR for about a year.  It is the best street and track car that I have owned.
Pull the locating pins out of the top of strut towers and gain some camber.  Run zero toe front and rear.  It will turn better at the limit.
I need to know what tires you are going to use.  200 TW 19 inch, so the car is legal in SCCA Sport class.

exST165
exST165 Reader
4/30/19 5:45 p.m.

What is the headroom like for us taller folks?  I see a sunroof in your pictures which is the bane of my (sports car) existence.  Can a CTR be ordered without?  I’ve looked on the Honda website and didn’t see that option but I would like to be wrong.

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 7:23 p.m.

The sunroof is standard for the Si, while the Type R doesn't get one. Here are the front headroom figures from the Honda media site:

Civic Si coupe: 36.5 in.

Civic Si sedan: 37.5 in.

Civic Type R: 39.3 in.

Civic Sport: 39.3 in. 

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 7:23 p.m.
USGUYS said:

I have been tracking my CTR for about a year.  It is the best street and track car that I have owned.
Pull the locating pins out of the top of strut towers and gain some camber.  Run zero toe front and rear.  It will turn better at the limit.
I need to know what tires you are going to use.  200 TW 19 inch, so the car is legal in SCCA Sport class.

Soon we'll be talking tires. I still need to finalize that. Soon. :)

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 7:25 p.m.

And, yeah, I want to get it on the alignment rack. 

exST165
exST165 Reader
4/30/19 10:40 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The sunroof is standard for the Si, while the Type R doesn't get one. Here are the front headroom figures from the Honda media site:

Civic Si coupe: 36.5 in.

Civic Si sedan: 37.5 in.

Civic Type R: 39.3 in.

Civic Sport: 39.3 in. 

Thanks for that!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
5/1/19 9:46 a.m.

I swear, they put sunroofs in everything now just to try to talk people into crossovers.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/19 10:53 a.m.

Looks fun!  I've done a couple at PBIR and am looking forward to Daytona Friday.  I think TNiA is my favorite way to get on track - very laid back and stress free.

Those Gambler 500 guys are really getting great use out of their Mazda.  They won their class at a recent rallyx at the FIRM and here they are at the Gambler!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/19 8:56 a.m.

How heavy is the clutch on these? I’m kinda tempted to drop by a Honda dealer on the way home from work and check one out. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/3/19 9:41 a.m.

I just can't get over how fugly these are

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
5/3/19 11:24 a.m.

As time passes, I think the objectionable parts of the style of these cars are dulling in my eyes. I think the paint color is great. I think the Si make all kinds of sense. Honda deserves praise for including the LSD too.

My biggest concern would be the gas in the oil engine issues reported with the 1.5L. Apparently the oil level can rise at a shocking rate as gas contaminates the oil. Do some googling/reading, it's kind of crazy. Some people receive a CEL when the oil hits 25% gas!! Honda's recall claims it's a cold weather warm up tune issue, only impacting people in the north. Honda was slow acknowledging what sounds like rather significant issue and they seem to have little to no concerns about the long term impact of the issue. I can't help but wonder if these are no longer the "good for 300k+ mile" engines Honda has been known for.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
5/3/19 1:17 p.m.

I lucked out by getting the 2.0 NA model (LX and EX only I think). I didn't know about the 1.5s oil issues at the time; I just wanted to save gas and didn't think I could stay out of the boost.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IpECtMXTPvItmo4sfoovM1rUFIuFMApE7Erc6rPqEb5pJkShg7k7qJQ5CHPHeXU4