David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/13/19 8:58 a.m.
feature_image

Did you hear the one about the all-season, original equipment Goodyears that performed quite well on track? If so, that might have been us.

Our 2019 Honda Civic Si came from the factory wearing Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires. Treadwear is 560. Honda no longer offers a summer tire option for this model, so you get what you get.

We …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
8/13/19 10:08 a.m.

So, wanna hear about editorial multi-tasking? The lead photo was taken in the Daytona infield during JG's Time Trial session. After helping him on grid, I drove over to the International Horseshoe bleachers: parked the car, swapped lenses, and ran to the top of the bleachers just in time to get on-track photos of him and our Corvette Z06 project. 

From up there I thought, Hey, the Civic looks cool down there with those yellow dashes or whatever on the pavement. Snap, snap.

The shots taken just before the Civic photo looks a lot like this:

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/13/19 10:31 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, wanna hear about editorial multi-tasking? The lead photo was taken in the Daytona infield during JG's Time Trial session. After helping him on grid, I drove over to the International Horseshoe bleachers: parked the car, swapped lenses, and ran to the top of the bleachers just in time to get on-track photos of him and our Corvette Z06 project. 

From up there I thought, Hey, the Civic looks cool down there with those yellow dashes or whatever on the pavement. Snap, snap.

The shots taken just before the Civic photo looks a lot like this:

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

I'm all for the idea of just arranging several different features where we can just stand in one place and shoot them all without moving. It would be a like a buffet.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/13/19 10:35 a.m.

mmm, buffet. What's for lunch?

David S. Wallens
8/13/19 10:37 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Booger

Mmmmm. But I brought lunch. It's in the fridge. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/13/19 10:58 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

The Indian one is pretty good.

David S. Wallens
8/13/19 11:11 a.m.

Before we totally devolve into talk about food (yes, it's nearly lunchtime), what do you seek in a track tire? Does outright speed matter? Long life? Talkative? Price? What's your go-to?

Also, some foreshadowing from Falken:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffacebook%2Fvideos%2F736059833520061%2F&width=500&show_text=false&height=281

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/19 5:36 a.m.

Price and Grip.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/14/19 5:55 a.m.

Wear, predictability (especially with age) price, and grip in that order. I don't run for times during track days. I prefer to work on braking and keeping after speed between corners, both of which I need to fix before I'm actually fast at all. In the mean time I need to keep consumable costs low and keep out of walls and other smushy bits. I also have a set of 615's from Tire Rack. laugh

David S. Wallens
8/19/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah, I think we're on the same page. I'm okay with lower limits if that yields a tire that's stable and consistent through the entire session. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
8/19/19 3:30 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Before we totally devolve into talk about food (yes, it's nearly lunchtime), what do you seek in a track tire? Does outright speed matter? Long life? Talkative? Price? What's your go-to?

As seen in the August tire test, the Hankook R-S4 pushes all the right buttons.

russinok
russinok
8/21/19 12:52 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Just a quick correction.  The articles states that the stock tire size is:

235/45R18

I think you will find that is actually 235/40/18.

This project car has me seriously considering the purchase of a Civic Si ... though my test drive the other day of a Veloster N certainly turned my head toward Hyundai for the first time ever!  Local dealer even has it priced $2300 off sticker!  

David S. Wallens
8/22/19 11:53 a.m.

You are correct--errant finger. We'll fix asap.

The Veloster is very cool. No limited-slip, but a heck of a deal. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bp81TTm2VCwHjuf8FEgUIOw8umMCZ0a7Bsj8YqhnK0kUT0LcKkaNLnPAtKwMFrnE