1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/6/19 8:38 a.m.
feature_image

We've had our share of tow vehicles over the years, most recently a 2006 Ford E-250 van, which we dubbed the Super Van. And while we turned that van into an amazing machine, one that could tow a car to the track and then provide a home and workshop for the weekend, we knew we'd eventually go back to …

Read the rest of the story

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/6/19 8:45 a.m.

Dang, that seems like a really good deal.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/6/19 8:53 a.m.

No kidding.  That's at least a $6K truck up here in the rust belt. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/19 8:57 a.m.

yea those window switches and door locks tend to be crap, everyone i have know with these trucks had bad window switches and power locks.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/19 8:59 a.m.

You can buy a set headlights on Amazon for less than $100. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/19 9:00 a.m.

V10 with a stick? Dang!

Cactus
Cactus Reader
10/6/19 9:24 a.m.

I just spent almost double that on an older (96) F-350 quad cab dually that is rated to tow slightly less. Mine's a diesel though, and here in Ohio the price delta for the sticky stuff is pretty slim. Gas is up right now and diesel is not, so while it's more, it's still cheaper than 93.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/6/19 10:29 a.m.
Cactus said:

I just spent almost double that on an older (96) F-350 quad cab dually that is rated to tow slightly less. Mine's a diesel though, and here in Ohio the price delta for the sticky stuff is pretty slim. Gas is up right now and diesel is not, so while it's more, it's still cheaper than 93.

Not for nothin’ but that OBS one-ton of yours is probably the best truck ever made!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/6/19 10:47 a.m.

Nice!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/6/19 12:01 p.m.

along for the ride.  A 250/2500 something is in my future I can feel it. smiley

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 12:37 p.m.

That's a seriously nice looking truck.

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/6/19 12:44 p.m.
Javelin said:

V10 with a stick? Dang!

You'll roll back into people on hills and never even notice.

car39
car39 HalfDork
10/6/19 1:46 p.m.

Bring your gas credit card.  I had an 05 F250 V8 crew cab 4X4.  Hook it to a 24 foot enclosed box with a Miata and stuff in it, 9 mpg.  Ironically, leave the box behind, get 9 mpg.  Tried everything, tune, cold air got it to 12 mpg once unloaeded by driving like a senior citizen leaving an early bird restaurant.  Nice truck, comfortable, towed great, knew the location of every gas pump from Connecticut to Pennsylvania.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/19 2:29 p.m.

Regarding that tailgate, I'm pretty sure it's the same part as the ones on the F-150s of that era (PN96 chassis), so they should be cheap and easy to find.

Agreed that $3300 is a freaking steal for that truck. You could probably drive it a few hundred miles north and double your money tomorrow.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
10/6/19 2:30 p.m.

I called my '93 F250 Teddy Roosevelt because that was one rough riding son of a gun. 

Tom Suddard
10/6/19 3:26 p.m.

Thanks for the support, everybody. 

I won't spoil future updates too much, but here's one interesting thing so far: I've averaged 12.5 mpg overall, getting about 9 while towing and about 14.5 empty. These trucks really aren't as bad as everybody says they are. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 3:49 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Regarding that tailgate, I'm pretty sure it's the same part as the ones on the F-150s of that era (PN96 chassis), so they should be cheap and easy to find.

Ha! Cheap & easy to find. Good one there...I doubt there exist more than a dozen that aren't in worse shape in the entire country. :)

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/19 3:49 p.m.

Is the slide-out cup holder with the Dasani bottle in it worn out?  In other words, will it hold the bottle in a curve?  Mine won’t.  And Bill Hewitt on the Powerstroke Help YouTube channel said “...I’ve never seen a Superduty that the cup holder wasn’t worn out in..”.  I haven’t ever seen anywhere to get one.

trivial I know.  But sometimes it makes me much less happy when my drink won’t stay put.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 4:04 p.m.

Check the brake lines.  Rust never sleeps.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/6/19 4:54 p.m.

Great job on not buying a 6.0

Tom Suddard
10/6/19 4:59 p.m.

In reply to secretariata :

I found one a few days after purchasing

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

You must be one lucky man... :)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/19 5:39 p.m.
secretariata said:
Tom_Spangler said:

Ha! Cheap & easy to find. Good one there...I doubt there exist more than a dozen that aren't in worse shape in the entire country. :)

Are you counting the brand-new ones that forum sponsor Rockauto sells for $92?  Granted, it's just a shell, but swap over the mechanical bits from the smashed one, paint it, and Bob's your uncle.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/19 6:17 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I won't spoil future updates too much, but here's one interesting thing so far: I've averaged 12.5 mpg overall, getting about 9 while towing and about 14.5 empty. These trucks really aren't as bad as everybody says they are. 

I am *staggered* at how much better that is than the 460 and auto. My best, anomalous, had to make sure I hadn't done the math wrong tank was 13.8 mpg, averaging 9.2. It's mostly around town, but even freeway time, unladen, only doing ~70 tends to net around 11. And mine's at least trivially lighter, being a '97 2WD (old body style).

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 6:26 p.m.

I almost bought basically the same truck for $3k

Are you sure it wasn't in north Idaho for a bit? Because....that looks exactly like it

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hqUhIl6OIQhlN1cXewoPFga1aZWjq9WvfxeFRanlZTmVkXcwZlhQ5SdlBleiK3k2