Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
3/19/18 9:53 a.m.
feature_image

We've been down this road once before: We ordered a set of 799-code heads from eBay, but they were cracked when they arrived. Our early LS1 still needed a better set of heads.

Fortunately, the world still has physical swap meets. While walking around the Daytona Beach Turkey Rod Run, we spotted the perfect heads: 243-code heads, which would …

Read the rest of the story

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
3/20/18 9:50 a.m.

The beauty of the 1.80:1 roller rockers is that not only are they stronger than the factory, plus you do not have to install the Comp trunion upgrade kit #13702, but they allow you to run a "smaller" camshaft like the stock '02-04 LS6 camshaft and get some very nice gains. Keep in mind that the 1.80:1 ratio adds about 2 degrees to the duration numbers compared to the 1.70 rocker as well as boosts the lift numbers while maintaining the wide LSA. The net sum is a cam that works better at higher RPM, extend the excellent torque curve and keeps most of the low end grunt. There are stock '02-04 LS6 out there with nothing more than long tube headers, high flow catted X-pipe and 1.80 rockers that make 385 rwHP and 380 ft-lbs of torque in C5 Z06. True it will not have any cool sounding lumpy idle or peaky top end scream, but it may yield more area under the torque curve with can help eliminate a shift or two during a lap which is way more important.

I know you are using Crane parts and we used Comp parts in our LS engine but here is what we did. Most folks tend to be a bit conservative and run shifter springs due to issues they have had with the factory Blue '01 LS6 and Yellow '02-05 LS6 springs. With the net lift numbers approaching 0.600" I would recommend setting up to the Comp #29618 springs with 125 lbs seat load @ 1.800" install height. I personally run the Comp #26926 dual spring with my cam which has well over 0.600" lift and I used Comp 7 degree tool Ti locks #779, as they are lighter than factory of after market steel locks.  The Manley valves can handle the higher spring seat pressures better than the more delicate light weight factory LS6 valves, so that was a smart choice. Also remember that those light weight factory valves were only found in 243 heads that were installed on LS6 engines in the '02-04 C5 Z06. The 243 castings with the light weight valve and Yellow springs had they own assembly number from GM #12564824.  All the other 243 heads on LS6 engines that were installed in the GTO and CTS-V as well as on the LS2 engines did not use the light weight valves.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aMTugkbhoock95K2dsaimbXwbXJcZBBInU6lTw5P0kIWMGk8dWzUF5oKl5e5R2fF