Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
4/3/17 3:01 p.m.
feature_image

Morale was high. Spirits were light. We had effectively torn the car completely apart and buttoned it back up in two weeks, and we were about to start the ChumpCar RVA Graphics 14 Hours of Daytona this past weekend.

After unloading our turbocharged Mazda Miata into our garage space, we made a couple of last-minute adjustments and headed for the …

Read the rest of the story

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
4/3/17 6:26 p.m.

I made it a full hour in before the tensioner pulley broke and the timing belt came off the KSR 300Z. Even our second SC300 was experiencing problems. But our third car led from just about start to finish

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/3/17 6:44 p.m.

Did you receive any penalty laps with the turbo? What was the cars point "valuation?"

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/17 6:50 p.m.

Been there done that except it involved a ten hour ride home so we scavenged the parts stores with in a hundred mile radius for head gasket and got good at changing them every three or four hours. Oh the fun of endurance racing.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/17 8:19 p.m.

Blue devil head gasket sealant....

Just saying.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
4/4/17 10:02 a.m.

Actually, we were at 524 points. 375 for the car, 100 for the turbo, 25 for the intercooler, 20 for the radiator, and 4 for the aluminum we used to build some radiator ducting. That meant 3 penalty laps.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/17 10:21 a.m.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune!

What PSI did you guys end up running your RE-71Rs at? I've got a brand new set on my Miata and I'd appreciate a starting point :)

Tom Suddard
4/4/17 1:18 p.m.

We run them at 32 psi.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/17 2:16 p.m.

Thanks Tom!

Tom Suddard
4/5/17 8:40 a.m.

Any time! And if it helps, we run 2 degrees of negative camber, too. More didn't seem to help tire temps at all–these don't have the grip of race slicks to take advantage of it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0U9EVwXcCpnsf2FLToV9Xq01jbfzhaht9bSVRd5cosb9HkyencxxA7IpxJaLnVsp