JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/12/19 9:50 p.m.
feature_image

A new season means new rubber, and this year we didn’t want to make any excuses in the tire department. Our C5 Z06 is being prepped for the SCCA’s Classic American Muscle autocross class, where the only wheel and tire rules say that tires must be 200tw or above. For us, that means a BFGoodrich Rival S, and the …

Read the rest of the story

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
2/15/19 10:50 a.m.

Okay so I know you are going to take some heat for this, but you spend $2K for a set of really cool forged rims and then you cheaped out of a set of $22 eBay fender flares that would honestly look better on a pickup truck?  A set of real C5 wide body rear fenders are about $700.

Not going to comment on the style of those rims or if they are going to be easy or not to keep clean with track pads, but they are a bit on the heavy side for forged rims.  I would have thought say a set of Forgestar F14 would be lighter and less expensive, plus with the money saved you could have bought a set of proper wide body rear fenders.   Heck if you don't mind the miss matched look and wanted to save even more cash, you could have run the 21 lbs C5 Z06 factory 18 x 10.5 +58mm rear rims (that came with the car) on the front with those 315 tires.

Either way that wide 315/335 Rival S combo should rock on the autocross course! 

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
2/15/19 11:48 a.m.

In reply to deaconblue :

How much faster are the $700 vs $35 flares?

gardnpc
gardnpc
2/15/19 6:36 p.m.

Wow, different world. My Miata 15" RPF-1's weigh less than 10 lbs.  Those Momo wheels cost more than many NA's for sale out there.  

JG Pasterjak
2/15/19 8:23 p.m.
deaconblue said:

Not going to comment on the style of those rims or if they are going to be easy or not to keep clean with track pads

I can't believe you think these beautiful light grey rims would be hard to clean. They're a top quality set of fine dark grey rims. I love my black rims.

JG Pasterjak
2/15/19 8:25 p.m.
alfabeach said:

In reply to deaconblue :

This [we really need a "pointing up" emoji].

Sure the fenders are $700. How much is paint? How much work are they going to take to fit?

Are these perfect? Maybe not.

Are they 80% as nice for 2.5% the cost? Oh yeah.

JG Pasterjak
2/15/19 8:30 p.m.
deaconblue said:

I would have thought say a set of Forgestar F14 would be lighter and less expensive, plus with the money saved you could have bought a set of proper wide body rear fenders.   Heck if you don't mind the miss matched look and wanted to save even more cash, you could have run the 21 lbs C5 Z06 factory 18 x 10.5 +58mm rear rims (that came with the car) on the front with those 315 tires.

From what I've been hearing, the Forgestars are about 1lb lighter per corner for pretty close to the same street price. 

We actually had been running 315s on Z06 rears all around, but they were heavier repros. Real Z06 Speedlines are getting rarer and more expensive by the day it seems. We also found that the 315s on the 11s put more than 3/8" of tread width on the ground vs the 10.5s. 

te72
te72 Reader
2/16/19 7:31 p.m.
gardnpc said:

Wow, different world. My Miata 15" RPF-1's weigh less than 10 lbs.  Those Momo wheels cost more than many NA's for sale out there.  

I have a set of the 14" RPF-1's myself, still feels eerie to lift those after lugging around the 16+ lbs RPF-1's I have for my Supra haha. Definitely a different world though, Miatas are around what, 30 lbs per corner with wheel and tire? My Supra runs something like 43 lbs per corner.

All that said, big cars with power are a different type of car to drive from a lightweight momentum car. That's why I like having one of each, to appreciate a totally different experience. =)

te72
te72 Reader
2/16/19 7:33 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
deaconblue said:

Not going to comment on the style of those rims or if they are going to be easy or not to keep clean with track pads

I can't believe you think these beautiful light grey rims would be hard to clean. They're a top quality set of fine dark grey rims. I love my black rims.

Haha, that's great man. True story though! Two of my sets of wheels are dark colored, you barely notice (IF you notice at all) the dust, but my brilliant silver RPF-1 setup for the Supra? I literally wipe them down after each autocross event of they look awful.

stewdesignjts
stewdesignjts New Reader
2/17/19 7:10 a.m.

Did you guys end up trimming the wheel opening of the rear fenders?

JG Pasterjak
2/17/19 8:36 a.m.
stewdesignjts said:

Did you guys end up trimming the wheel opening of the rear fenders?

Not yet. Ran an event the weekend after doing this at a fairly bumpy site, and I taped up the fender lips pretty good to see any signs of rubbing and got nothing. Looks like they'll live a little while longer.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
2/20/19 10:42 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
deaconblue said:

I would have thought say a set of Forgestar F14 would be lighter and less expensive, plus with the money saved you could have bought a set of proper wide body rear fenders.   Heck if you don't mind the miss matched look and wanted to save even more cash, you could have run the 21 lbs C5 Z06 factory 18 x 10.5 +58mm rear rims (that came with the car) on the front with those 315 tires.

From what I've been hearing, the Forgestars are about 1lb lighter per corner for pretty close to the same street price. 

We actually had been running 315s on Z06 rears all around, but they were heavier repros. Real Z06 Speedlines are getting rarer and more expensive by the day it seems. We also found that the 315s on the 11s put more than 3/8" of tread width on the ground vs the 10.5s. 

A set of four (4) 18" F14 will run about $1600. 

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
2/20/19 10:51 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
alfabeach said:

In reply to deaconblue :

This [we really need a "pointing up" emoji].

Sure the fenders are $700. How much is paint? How much work are they going to take to fit?

Are these perfect? Maybe not.

Are they 80% as nice for 2.5% the cost? Oh yeah.

For a track only car yeah you are right, but if its a dual purpose street driven C5, those are really kind of chinchy.  Sorry for the knee jerk reaction, but aesthetically those were just gag.

Yes for the street something like this would be better;

http://corvettecreationz.com/product/zr-z06frcvert-flared-rear-fenders/

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
2/20/19 10:51 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Cool - good to know about the extra tread width on the ground with the 11" rim vs. the 10.5"

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
3/28/19 1:13 p.m.

FYI and no one will want to spend this kind of money on a track car, but "back-in-the-day" some C5 folks would install a set of mini tubes so that you could tuck 335 tires on 12" wide rims inside the stock rear quarter panels.  I am sure there were also folks that did this themselves using something far less expensive (and less elegant) as the old LPE kit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pLVAHyMZVOh4PspWuHgDKy1WFV3PNVEW6aLHT6tmamQ4MN7kgcjLUfeNMRJDMq2E